Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which "Power Suburban County" is your favorite?
Fairfax County, VA 11 21.15%
Montgomery County, MD 14 26.92%
Bergen County, NJ 9 17.31%
Nassau County, NY 4 7.69%
Westchester County, NY 2 3.85%
Dupage County, IL 6 11.54%
Oakland County, MI 6 11.54%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:46 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Those are power burbs? Where's the Sunbelt?
In the sunbelt, the Los Angeles area has the most powerful suburbs. The San Fernando Valley and Orange County are full of them. Irvine comes to mind.

In the southern states, the Dallas area has the most powerful suburbs. Plano and Irving come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 10:21 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
In the sunbelt, the Los Angeles area has the most powerful suburbs. The San Fernando Valley and Orange County are full of them. Irvine comes to mind.

In the southern states, the Dallas area has the most powerful suburbs. Plano and Irving come to mind.
Since when is half of the land area of a city considered a suburb?

San Fernando Valley neighborhoods
http://legal.dailynews5.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/map-of-san-fernando-valley.tmp_.jpg (broken link)

City of Los Angeles

Although, I WISH we weren't part of the city. God, think of the possibilities!

Old 04-29-2011, 10:31 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post

San Fernando Valley neighborhoods

City of Los Angeles

Although, I WISH we weren't part of the city. God, think of the possibilities!
Wow LA has to be the most confusing city layout on the planet

Old 04-29-2011, 10:43 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I was thinking of cities or places that are not part of the city of Los Angeles or Long Beach (to me Long Beach is the only other city in the LA area that I dont consider a burb).

Old 04-29-2011, 01:50 PM

929 posts, read 1,901,856 times
I made the list to include powerful SUBURBAN COUNTIES with populations roughly between 900,000 and 1.5 million, not merely suburbs or collections of suburbs. This is why sunbelt areas are not included. There is no largely wealthy suburban county in this population range that is located in the sunbelt.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:08 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
I made the list to include powerful SUBURBAN COUNTIES with populations roughly between 900,000 and 1.5 million, not merely suburbs or collections of suburbs. This is why sunbelt areas are not included. There is no largely wealthy suburban county in this population range that is located in the sunbelt.

Well with that in mind Montgomery PA is at 875K and think a top 25 or so income - though this county is a bit of a tale of two areas. Extreme wealth in the Main Line and some areas with more concentrated poverty.

Chester County which has a higher mean income is further removed and only 500K in the Philly area but would not have the level of wealth concentrated on the main line (though chester county includes a bit of the main line)

Old 04-29-2011, 03:04 PM

929 posts, read 1,901,856 times
Ya Montco, PA could've been a candidate, but the 2010 census shows its population at just under 800,000. Its concentrated poverty is no more than that in areas of Nassau or Westchester counties in NY or Oakland County, MI. I don't think that DuPage County, IL; Fairfax County, VA; or Montgomery County, MD have much poverty, though. I really like the layout of Montco's nicer areas around SEPTA rail stations and the Norristown High Speed Line going thru a chunk of the county. I think it resembles he nicer parts of Bergen and Essex counties in NJ. If its population crossed 900,000 as of the 2010 census, I would've included it.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:37 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
Ya Montco, PA could've been a candidate, but the 2010 census shows its population at just under 800,000. Its concentrated poverty is no more than that in areas of Nassau or Westchester counties in NY or Oakland County, MI. I don't think that DuPage County, IL; Fairfax County, VA; or Montgomery County, MD have much poverty, though. I really like the layout of Montco's nicer areas around SEPTA rail stations and the Norristown High Speed Line going thru a chunk of the county. I think it resembles he nicer parts of Bergen and Essex counties in NJ. If its population crossed 900,000 as of the 2010 census, I would've included it.
Yes, montgomery county PA has a lot of older very wealthy burbs, but i understand your standings, Chester county Pa is another good candidate, but still only has a pop of about 500,000, but soon enough it will be right up there with the most populated counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City