U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2007, 11:02 PM

332 posts, read 339,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
You must be kidding. Please kindly check this survey. T&L has more than 1 million subscribers and here are the best cities according to its annual surveys (2006, 2007)

2006 2007
1 1 New York 85.36
2 2 San Francisco 84.60
3 3 Chicago 83.15
4 5 Santa Fe 83.05
5 7 Quebec City 82.81
6 4 Charleston, South Carolina 82.36
7 6 Vancouver 81.00
8 9 Montreal 79.98
9 8 Victoria, British Columbia 79.61
10 10 Seattle

2007 World's Best Cities | United States And Canada | Travel + Leisure
oh wow approx. 1.5 mil ppl out of 15bil ppl automatically decide whats the best city to visit? Like I said I would think many more people would want to visit L.A OR NYC!

The reason I say this is because basically Chicago is like any other American city with a great skyline and more density! It's nothing their that really stands out, sure it has the Sears Tower but that can be seen from pictures.

When I think NYC I think excitement, "Massive City", Time Square,Central Park etc.

When I think L.A. I think fun,Hollywood,Stars,Nightlife,and of course Hollywood Hills.

When I think Chicago I think............................................. Sears Tower?...

you get my point? no,of course you don't because "Chicagoians?" think their city is pretty much perfect and don't care to listen to anyone elses opinions who might not happen to agree with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 11:24 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,412,330 times
So true. But not many like what they see. Did you get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
oh wow approx. 1.5 mil ppl out of 15bil ppl automatically decide whats the best city to visit? Like I said I would think many more people would want to visit L.A OR NYC!

The reason I say this is because basically Chicago is like any other American city with a great skyline and more density! It's nothing their that really stands out, sure it has the Sears Tower but that can be seen from pictures.

When I think NYC I think excitement, "Massive City", Time Square,Central Park etc.

When I think L.A. I think fun,Hollywood,Stars,Nightlife,and of course Hollywood Hills.

When I think Chicago I think............................................. Sears Tower?...

you get my point? no,of course you don't because "Chicagoians?" think their city is pretty much perfect and don't care to listen to anyone elses opinions who might not happen to agree with them.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:35 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,859,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post

What we don't care to listen to is ignorant opinions about our city, especially from people who aren't burdened with an informed perspective gained by, say, having actually been here. Such as statements like "Chicago is like any other city with a great skyline" and that "nothing stands out." Since you've never been here, you have no business trying to put that one past anyone who has, and particularly those of us who live here. While there are plenty of cities in this country that have their own strengths and charms, very very few of them offer the shear quantity, quality and variety of art, culture, music, theater, dining, museums, architecture, festivals, shopping, ethnic enclaves, political, legal and economic influence in a single city. The Globalization and World Cities Study Group and Network has named Chicago as one of only three top-tier global cites in the United States (you can guess what the other two are) and one of the top ten most economically, politically and culturally influential cities in the world. These are the things that make Chicago one of the top tourist destination cities in America. Don't tell us "nothing stands out" until you've actually spent some time here (and I don't mean just staying in a hotel downtown for two nights and never leaving the Mag Mile area), and don't assume everyone else shares your ignorance about what Chicago has to offer. I'm not demanding you like our city; but it would be nice if you would at least speak from an informed position when talking about it.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:58 AM

8,578 posts, read 13,466,423 times
Default The good life

Chicago is all about opportunity, and ,.with a capital O !! I can not think of any other place , so afforded , where one can succeed , prosper , and enjoy the good life with the fruits of your labor , as the Chicago Metro Area.
So much is produced , distributed , sold , made , in the area that Chicago is considered an " out bound town ". You won't find that in a lot of other places. Most big city areas in this country , are ," inbound towns". They are great consumers , but , get their goods, from Chicago. In my mind , I would put that fact ahead of the other big two or three, as a great place. A place that actually does something.
, even in this day and age , where so many of our products are made in China.
For this reason , the Chicago area is considered the transportation hub of North America. Centrally located , Chicago will always be what it is. Other places will ride the boom and the bust, but Chicago will always stand tall as the place to be , to excel. " If you can't make it in Chicago , you cant make it anywhere "........there was good reason behind that saying.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:32 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,572,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
I remember there was a brawl years back between the cubs and the la dodgers. I remember the nbc la news caster said this one thing that stuck with me; "its okay we don't mind a little rough housing here in LA, because we understand that LIVING in Chicago, is punishment enough.
That just shows the ignorance of some Angelenos. They think they're better than Chicago, but we all know the truth. It's okay, I don't want to start a big argument because LA's been good to me. I've got close friends out there, it's my 2nd home, but when it all comes down to it, Chicago is America's 2nd City.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:51 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,580,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
It's okay, I don't want to start a big argument because LA's been good to me. I've got close friends out there, it's my 2nd home...
You are a 16 year old kid who is still in high school and you've never been to LA, as you indicate in your first City Data post requesting to see photos of LA.

LA pics

Old 08-06-2007, 08:53 AM

20,005 posts, read 67,989,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
You are a 16 year old kid who is still in high school and you've never been to LA, as you indicate in your first City Data post requesting to see photos of LA.

LA pics
Awwww, look at all da wil bitty buildings. So cute.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:

LA pics

I've been to LA before. Not downtown, but Marina Del Ray.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:00 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,580,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I've been to LA before. Not downtown, but Marina Del Ray.
Sure you have.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Sure you have.
I don't have to explain myself to you, okay. I went out there for a wedding, liked the place, wanted to move there, got back to NYC, got over it for now. End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or