U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2007, 04:51 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,995,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
Chicago was once in the big leagues,but now it's not.

Dude, really, for the love of all that is holy, please shut up. I dont even know what to say anymore. If Chicago isnt a big league city, neither is LA. Or NY for that matter. Saying Chicago isnt a big league city anymore is the most bizarre thing I think Ive heard yet.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 04:51 PM

2,368 posts, read 6,658,291 times
Quote:
Detroit use to be the fourth biggest city,but look where it is at now. I'm not saying the same thing is going to happen to Chicago. I'm saying just because it was once a big city dosen't necesaarily means it can't have it's place tooken as well as it's popularity.

The last statement made that Chicago is no longer in the big leagues is just your opinion,Im sure there is many people like myself who still feel its in the big leagues.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
The last statement made that Chicago is no longer in the big leagues is just your opinion,Im sure there is many people like myself who still feel its in the big leagues.
Economically, financially, etc, etc, etc... Chicago is DEFINITELY a big-league city. Im sure 99.9999% of the folks on here would agree.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:53 PM

694 posts, read 1,984,418 times
All I know is if Chicago is successful getting the 2016 Olympics, and the Olympics itself is very successful, Chicago will blow up largely on the global scene.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
All I know is if Chicago is successful getting the 2016 Olympics, and the Olympics itself is very successful, Chicago will blow up largely on the global scene.
LOL

Thats the one thing Im afraid of.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:59 PM

2,368 posts, read 6,658,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
And they don't just give the Olympics to a normal city.I agree that Chicago will blow up on a global scale.It will basically be representing our country,and the world will get to see what a great city Chicago is.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:09 PM

8,578 posts, read 13,468,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
Darstar, are you on a mind altering substance. The lakefront of chicago makes LA look like a dump?

Lets compare... The la metro area has miles and miles of beautiful ocean, the fact that thousands of people get up every day to go surf, ski, dive, swim, fish etc in the pacific is a testimate to that.

Lets look at the Lake, half of its beach front is covered by CONCRETE
BP is openly dumping mecury, beyond a safe amount into the lake, in hammond i believe, not far from south chicago.
Beaches in chicago, south wisconsin, the indiana dunes, etc are constantly being closed in the summer due to high bacteria counts.

For you to say the lake front is more beautiful than LA's beach front makes me wonder why on earth they bothered to film baywatch in the LA area. They should have just done it right on the chicago lake front...with their cliffside views and all...
And another thing. " mind altering substance ? " , and that coming from someone in love with LA ?
All cities have their problems , some more than others. Chicago has always been " the city that works". It does work. I don't like a lot of things about Chicago, but , I would pick it over LA any day , and , yes , lived in both, granted , I am A midwestener ! Maybe its the people you don't like. Got somthing against Midwesteners ?

Old 08-07-2007, 09:49 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,149,776 times
Time for posters on this thread to take a deep breath and try to inject a little more civility into the proceedings.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:02 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,572,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
Darstar, are you on a mind altering substance. The lakefront of chicago makes LA look like a dump?

Lets compare... The la metro area has miles and miles of beautiful ocean, the fact that thousands of people get up every day to go surf, ski, dive, swim, fish etc in the pacific is a testimate to that.

Lets look at the Lake, half of its beach front is covered by CONCRETE
BP is openly dumping mecury, beyond a safe amount into the lake, in hammond i believe, not far from south chicago.
Beaches in chicago, south wisconsin, the indiana dunes, etc are constantly being closed in the summer due to high bacteria counts.

For you to say the lake front is more beautiful than LA's beach front makes me wonder why on earth they bothered to film baywatch in the LA area. They should have just done it right on the chicago lake front...with their cliffside views and all...
You're so hilarious. First off, there are no beaches within city limits of LA. And the ones outside the city are polluted to hell. Chicago's waterfront kicks the **** out of LA's. And at least Chicago's river has water in it, unlike the Los Angeles river!

Activites in the LA area water are good... Too bad you'll develop some sort of virus, bacterial disease, or poisoning from the leaking oil and gas after you swim in it.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:47 AM

18,237 posts, read 25,935,555 times
Quote:
I seriously disagree. Chicago still has major advantages over LA in many areas. It still is growing despite what census says. The city council is putting the city closer to 3 million instead of dropping to 2.8 million and every 10 years, the US Census is always wrong. The city of Chicago has more buildings and more condos going up in the city than any city between the East and West coast and more than any city not named Miami and New York. You're underestimating that city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or