U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2007, 09:13 AM

38,691 posts, read 87,070,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I seriously disagree. Chicago still has major advantages over LA in many areas. It still is growing despite what census says. The city council is putting the city closer to 3 million instead of dropping to 2.8 million and every 10 years, the US Census is always wrong. The city of Chicago has more buildings and more condos going up in the city than any city between the East and West coast and more than any city not named Miami and New York. You're underestimating that city.
Well I'll agree with your disagreement. Chicago has long been and remains one of the most culturally, economically, academically and politically influential cities in the world. That is, it's still a "big-league" city despite the protests to the contrary by a teenager from Texas. That said... Chicago's population isn't going anywhere any time soon. Part of that is because there's not a lot of room to put more people. The city boundaries have been land-locked for decades; there's no open space all around us to annex and build on like Sun Belt cities are doing. We're already at a density of 16,000 people per square mile. The only major US cities that top that are NYC and San Fran, and the latter just barely.

But another problem is that, in a way, Chicago is starting to become a victim of its own success. When the city's economic fortunes started turning around in the early 90s, the city proper started to become a desirable place to live, so property prices shot up, and middle-class families have been gradually priced out of the city's housing market. Yes there is a lot of new housing going up, but the primary market for the new houses are empty nesters, single professionals and DINKS, not families. I don't think you can buy a new-construction single-family home in this city for less than $600,000 any more. And then we wonder why all the young families are headed for the 'burbs. And even before that, large families were replaced with small families, and then they moved out to the suburbs, and now a lot of the new housing is being occupied not by couples with 2 or 3 or 4 kids, but by couples with zero kids, or even singles.

Last edited by Drover; 08-08-2007 at 09:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 01:34 PM

718 posts, read 2,446,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Chicago is definetly in the Big Leagues.I agree with you Steve-o Chicago was a world known city before L.A. was even Nationally known.
That shows just how much your cities glory days have past. This isnt 1907, no one cares about chicago the way they used to. All the manufacturing jobs have up and left the country. The only thing left of its jaded past is that it is still a cheaper and less charming than living in New York.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
You're so hilarious. First off, there are no beaches within city limits of LA. And the ones outside the city are polluted to hell. Chicago's waterfront kicks the **** out of LA's. And at least Chicago's river has water in it, unlike the Los Angeles river!

Activites in the LA area water are good... Too bad you'll develop some sort of virus, bacterial disease, or poisoning from the leaking oil and gas after you swim in it.
I love how you think your polluted lake is some how better than our pacific ocean. Keep fooling yourself kid...its okay you'll never be able to afford to live here.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:47 PM

20,005 posts, read 68,118,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
I love how you think your polluted lake is some how better than our pacific ocean. Keep fooling yourself kid...its okay you'll never be able to afford to live here.
Bite the big one, junior.

London named world's top business center by MasterCard - CNN.com

Read and weap:
TOP METROS -- Site Selection magazine, March 2007

Old 08-08-2007, 01:50 PM

2,368 posts, read 6,674,596 times
Quote:
That shows just how much your cities glory days have past. This isnt 1907, no one cares about chicago the way they used to. All the manufacturing jobs have up and left the country. The only thing left of its jaded past is that it is still a cheaper and less charming than living in New York.
Chicago is still a well known city around the world,maybe not as much as L.A. is now,but people still know Chicago is a great city.I can't really comment on Los Angeles because I've never been there,and its not a place that I really want to go to.Im just saying through,just because Chicago has less population than L.A.,doesn't mean its not a world city.Columbus is probably going to pass San Francisco in population,how many people will pick Columbus over San Francisco,probably not many.San Francisco is still a major world city,despite the fact that it has lost population.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:10 PM

546 posts, read 2,241,205 times
Quote:
Yes, Chicago has one of the dirtiest beaches in the nation, but your Pacific Ocean isn't exactly pristine. Many beaches in the LA area are very polluted. I guess that's what happens when you have the busiest port in the nation.

On top of that, Chicago has many amentities, and Los Angeles does as well. However, Chicago is much more affordable, and Los Angeles has high housing costs for no reason. Yes, it's by the Pacific Ocean. Yes, there's a wonderful climate. But when you get past that, what else is there to make you pay ridiculous housing costs for? To get a wiff of that extremely polluted air?
You can bash Chicago all you want, but don't make it seem like Los Angeles is something bigger than it really is.

Last edited by CHICAGOLAND92; 08-08-2007 at 02:31 PM..

Old 08-08-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
No, you keep fooling yourself.

Yes, Chicago has one of the dirtiest beaches in the nation, but your Pacific Ocean isn't exactly pristine. Many beaches in the LA area are very polluted. I guess that's what happens when you have the busiest port in the nation.

On top of that, Chicago has many amentities, and Los Angeles does as well. However, Chicago is much more affordable, and Los Angeles has high housing costs for no reason. Yes, it's by the Pacific Ocean. Yes, there's a wonderful climate. But when you get past that, what else is there to make you pay ridiculous housing costs for? To get a wiff of that extremely polluted air?
You can bash Chicago all you want, but don't make it seem like Los Angeles is something bigger than it really is.
Sure the LA metro has SOME polluted beaches, but unless you are mentally handycapped and you are hanging around the port of san pedro, LA metro more wonderful beaches than chicagometro does . Thats why atheletes, movie stars, royalty, industrial and corporate guru's, all own property in places like Manhattan Beach, Redondo beach, el segundo, palos verdes, palos verdes estates, etc.

and our housing prices are 'ridiculous' to most because appartley we have the most desired and most expensive real estate in the country. Thats what happens when the land you live on is highly desired. The other day i was in manhattan beach and i saw a garage, yes a garage, that had been converted into a single family home. There was about a yardstick between the garage and the side walk...listed sales price reduced: 2million. If we lowered our housing prices to places like chicago in detriot (god forbid) we'd have damn near the whole country trying to get a slice of the pie.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:39 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,587,184 times
Quote:
Dude, I live in New York, which is more expensive than LA. And fyi, I live in one of the richest towns in the country... Scarsdale, NY.

New York, NY
"If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere"

Old 08-08-2007, 02:41 PM

546 posts, read 2,241,205 times
Quote:
Sure the LA metro has SOME polluted beaches, but unless you are mentally handycapped and you are hanging around the port of san pedro, LA metro more wonderful beaches than chicagometro does . Thats why atheletes, movie stars, royalty, industrial and corporate guru's, all own property in places like Manhattan Beach, Redondo beach, el segundo, palos verdes, palos verdes estates, etc.

and our housing prices are 'ridiculous' to most because appartley we have the most desired and most expensive real estate in the country. Thats what happens when the land you live on is highly desired. The other day i was in manhattan beach and i saw a garage, yes a garage, that had been converted into a single family home. There was about a yardstick between the garage and the side walk...listed sales price reduced: 2million. If we lowered our housing prices to places like chicago in detriot (god forbid) we'd have damn near the whole country trying to get a slice of the pie.

A garage.. converted into a single family house for two million... that's just crazy lol..

I don't get what you mean by Chicago in Detroit though. Did you mean Chicago and Detroit?

Anyways, I haven't been to LA yet so I don't really know what it has to offer besides what I've seen and heard.. But the only problem I see with having housing costs so high is that there will eventually be no middle class.. and just look at Rio de Janeiro, Miami, etc. to see what happens when there's not a strong middle class community in a city.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:54 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,417,205 times
I feel happy for you that you love LA. Sorry, LA. its not a place for me because I know how to READ. That's why I chose to relocate to Chicago.

"Citizens of Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit and elsewhere, take a breath. Though your air is polluted, your lungs inflamed and your children at risk, you can rest assured that your city is not the most smog-ridden in the country. That dishonor belongs to Los Angeles, which has the worst air quality in the nation, according to the American Lung Association."

Truthdig - Ear to the Ground - The Most Polluted City in America

By the way, how could the people in LA afford the housing there when their household income is even less than that of Indianapolis, not to mention Chicago? I heard it's not a surprising thing to see many people who happen to live under one roof in the LA area.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or