U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2007, 02:26 AM

1,134 posts, read 863,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Jealousy, sure it is. Yeah, we do get frustrated when idiots from LA come in acting like they're superior to the rest of the world--you are a good example of that. You think you're better than us (key word: think), but who's been called the Capital of the World, the Center of the Universe, The City? Exactly, New York City. Chicago>LA, NYC>LA

NYC:
-world leader in business
-world leader in finance--London beats us out now only because we lost the WTC
-world leader in music
-world leader in media
-world leader in culture
-world leader in skyscrapers (diversity)
We are the melting pot of the world.

LA:
-world leader in film
-US leader in smog
-US leader in air and water pollution
-US leader in highways
-US leader in car to person ratios
-US leader in number of cars
This is not the makings of a true city.
I thought I smelled something. Those are nice pictures, but we've all seen them before. "The City" is a provincial term, much like "Big Apple", meaning, the biggest and brightest apple in the state. Rudy Giuliani used to go around with his characteristic lisp talking about "The World Capital" and "The Center of the Universe". You forgot his latest one, "The 40 Billion Dollar City"! Who's been calling you all of these names? Yourselves! What about, "The World's Second Home". Remember that? Went a long way in securing you that Olympic bid! Making New York lacking in stature when it comes to Olympic status, my original point! Still stands. "We are the melting pot of the world"....wewww. You smell what I smell? Desperation! Let's see, world leader in business, sure. Finance? No, more money was moving through London before 9/11, has something to do with eased regulations in London, making them, undisputedly, the world leader. Chicago? I'm hearing that Charlotte, North Carolina is the country's #2 capital of finance! Back to N.Y. Music? No- L. A. Broadcasting and publishing media? Barely. Content? No- L. A. Culture? Ehh..European based culture yes, popular culture, noooo- L. A. Skyscraper diversity, huh? Diversity of skyscrapers, not in this world- Hong Kong. What else ya got? Were you the one who said something about MTV? I did a little research on MTV and I've found that they now specialize in reality programming that centers on pretty people your age, but not in your area. "The Hills" is MTV's highest rated original program ever, but I think the seed of your jealousy began with "Laguna Beach". Perception has a tendancy to stick. Uhh..where are those places again? That's called direct influence. My source on this information? New York based publications! See? No hate

Last edited by milquetoast; 08-15-2007 at 02:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 08:27 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,589,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
I thought I smelled something. Those are nice pictures, but we've all seen them before. "The City" is a provincial term, much like "Big Apple", meaning, the biggest and brightest apple in the state. Rudy Giuliani used to go around with his characteristic lisp talking about "The World Capital" and "The Center of the Universe". You forgot his latest one, "The 40 Billion Dollar City"! Who's been calling you all of these names? Yourselves! What about, "The World's Second Home". Remember that? Went a long way in securing you that Olympic bid! Making New York lacking in stature when it comes to Olympic status, my original point! Still stands. "We are the melting pot of the world"....wewww. You smell what I smell? Desperation! Let's see, world leader in business, sure. Finance? No, more money was moving through London before 9/11, has something to do with eased regulations in London, making them, undisputedly, the world leader. Chicago? I'm hearing that Charlotte, North Carolina is the country's #2 capital of finance! Back to N.Y. Music? No- L. A. Broadcasting and publishing media? Barely. Content? No- L. A. Culture? Ehh..European based culture yes, popular culture, noooo- L. A. Skyscraper diversity, huh? Diversity of skyscrapers, not in this world- Hong Kong. What else ya got? Were you the one who said something about MTV? I did a little research on MTV and I've found that they now specialize in reality programming that centers on pretty people your age, but not in your area. "The Hills" is MTV's highest rated original program ever, but I think the seed of your jealousy began with "Laguna Beach". Perception has a tendancy to stick. Uhh..where are those places again? That's called direct influence. My source on this information? New York based publications! See? No hate
No, um, actually London was 2nd to NYC before 9/11. Charlotte beats NYC out in finance? I don't see how that is possible when NYC, right now, is 2nd to London in the world. LA is 2nd to NY when it comes to music. NYC is home to 7 of the 8 largest record companies. We are the head city for it, the big bosses are in NYC. Culture? Television is not a culture. If that's a culture, then America has a big problem. NYC is the world leader when it comes to cultural diversity... No arguing that. Honk Kong has NYC beat when it comes to skyscraper diversity? Are you kidding me? Most of Hong Kong's skyscrapers were built after 2000. NYC's got supertall skyscrapers from the 30's-present. The Hills, Laguna Beach? They wouldn't be able to air without MTV which is headquartered in NYC.

Just face it, NYC is more important than LA. If you can't realize that, then my guess is that you never graduated elemenary school.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:26 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,418,009 times
You forgot to mention that LA is the Gang capital of America and home to the World's Most Famous Gang. LA really overshadows NYC, Chicago, SF and other US cities in this department.

"A bloody conflict between Hispanic and black gangs is spreading across Los Angeles. Hundreds are dying as whole districts face the threat of ethnic cleansing. Paul Harris reports from the epicentre of America's new urban warfare"

Gang mayhem grips LA | World | The Observer

I just hope it won't turn into another disaster like the 1992 Riots. This is a serious matter but many LA boosters failed to acknowledge it. Instead, they choose to focus on other aspects such as entertainment, Hollywood influence blah blah..which are not really vital to the future of America nowadays.

Little glamour in L.A., "gang capital of America"

National Geographic Channel: World's Most Dangerous Gang (http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com/channel/blog/2006/01/explorer_gangs.html - broken link)

Quote:
Jealousy, sure it is. Yeah, we do get frustrated when idiots from LA come in acting like they're superior to the rest of the world--you are a good example of that. You think you're better than us (key word: think), but who's been called the Capital of the World, the Center of the Universe, The City? Exactly, New York City. Chicago>LA, NYC>LA

NYC:
-world leader in business
-world leader in finance--London beats us out now only because we lost the WTC
-world leader in music
-world leader in media
-world leader in culture
-world leader in skyscrapers (diversity)
We are the melting pot of the world.

LA:
-world leader in film
-US leader in smog
-US leader in air and water pollution
-US leader in highways
-US leader in car to person ratios
-US leader in number of cars
This is not the makings of a true city.

Last edited by downtown1; 08-15-2007 at 12:41 PM..

Old 08-15-2007, 01:31 PM

20,005 posts, read 68,140,953 times
LA is a gang mecca, everyone already knows that.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:34 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,589,371 times
Just like Chicago is a murder mecca with a murder rate that far exceeds that of LA and New York.

Let's keep it real.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:14 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,054,674 times
Quote:
No, um, actually London was 2nd to NYC before 9/11. Charlotte beats NYC out in finance? I don't see how that is possible when NYC, right now, is 2nd to London in the world. LA is 2nd to NY when it comes to music. NYC is home to 7 of the 8 largest record companies. We are the head city for it, the big bosses are in NYC. Culture? Television is not a culture. If that's a culture, then America has a big problem. NYC is the world leader when it comes to cultural diversity... No arguing that. Honk Kong has NYC beat when it comes to skyscraper diversity? Are you kidding me? Most of Hong Kong's skyscrapers were built after 2000. NYC's got supertall skyscrapers from the 30's-present. The Hills, Laguna Beach? They wouldn't be able to air without MTV which is headquartered in NYC.

Just face it, NYC is more important than LA. If you can't realize that, then my guess is that you never graduated elemenary school.
milktoast has some weird inferiority complex when it comes to NYC. pay no mind.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:16 PM

I've been to Chicago several times and I must say its a much safer place compared to LA.

Compton, a community in Los Angeles is the most dangerous place in America based on the population size. Let's keep it real :-)

City Crime Rankings by Population Group

Old 08-15-2007, 08:17 PM

second that

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
milktoast has some weird inferiority complex when it comes to NYC. pay no mind.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:41 PM

Advertisers pay for time on networks. New York based networks pay for L. A. production content, by far, still, the most influential culture on the planet. By far the most diversified culture in the world, also. You may see inferiority complex when you read 'my' content. What I see when I read yours is frustrated desperation. Tahiti, join CTown and downtown and FutureCop and whoever else I can mention who have shown me more about themselves in their posting than even they know about themselves. I only wish it were quiet desperation! If it seems like I'm angry or conceited in my posting, keep in mind I'm from a city that doesn't comprehend New York's love of itself, doesn't even know or care about what Chicago feels about anything and looks down on New York the way New York looks down on... say, Boston. And they are enjoying themselves. The way I'm enjoying myself. The way you enjoy yourself when you gang up on me! Talk about gangs, you'd fit right in, all of you. You can sure dish it out, awww- but you can't take it! You'd better pay me mind, because I'm the only one who's ever shown you for what you really are. Small time people who latch onto a perceived notion of supremacy to give yourselves status and to feel better about yourselves! I'm the one who thinks I'm better? I know I'm not, and I'm smart enough to know that the variables involved in making a city great are too numerous to factor. L. A.'s not better than New York and New York's not better than anyone else. I hope you're not insinuating that people are of 'higher' quality elsewhere? The teenagers on this forum think that's a topic of discussion, it certainly was on this thread, but they're teenagers. Really, when it comes to the history and life and cultures of cities and all the factors involved, what would they know? Stop with the gangs, that's a problem with border enforcement. Those idiot retards have to be suffered by Angelenos, not you! They all want to be in L. A. too and that proves another point about New York. They're gang culture is as romantic as their overcrowding, Broadway's " West Side Story " anyone? " Warriors? " Yeah, you're just better, you're the good guys, we all get it. No complex here, trust in me, and don't list gang names and affiliations on this forum, or anywhere else. That's just what they love and you fall for it. Everything I've stated was the truth. Better hope that quake does the trick! I know you're counting on it. Smile Earlier statement on Charlotte was in regards to Chicago, not New York. Slow down, kids!

Old 08-15-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Instead, they choose to focus on other aspects such as entertainment, Hollywood influence blah blah..which are not really vital to the future of America nowadays.

]
I seem to remember that the most heavily traveled road in America, the 10 freeway (Santa Monica) was damaged in 1994's Northridge earthquake. Because of the importance of the freeways in that city to the entire country's welfare, and because the port complex is by far the most important in the nation, fixing that thoroughfare was a national priority. So, to sum up, Los Angeles doesn't depend on just entertainment to impress and influence. There are other avenues to choose, so to speak. Another tid-bit you just had to learn, I suppose. Stay in school, 'cause it can get rough out here. Smile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or