Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 02:24 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,832,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
People, for some reason, like to talk about Chicago like it's the coldest city in the country. Here are some comparisons (all from AccuWeather.com) of the average highs and lows for each month of the year. Just so you know, five or six degrees is not a perceptible difference.

Boston Jan. 36/22 Feb. 39/24 Mar. 46/31 April 56/40 May 66/50
June 77/59 July 82/66 August 80/65 Sept. 73/57 Oct. 62/47 Nov. 52/38
Dec. 42/28

NYC Jan. 38/26 Feb. 41/28 Mar. 49/35 April 61/44 May 71/54 June 79/63
July 84/69 Aug. 83/68 Sept. 75/61 Oct. 64/50 Nov. 53/41 Dec. 43/32

Chicago Jan. 30/16 Feb. 36/21 Mar.47/30 April 59/40 May 71/51
June 81/61 July 85/66 Aug. 75/57 Oct. 64/45 Nov. 48/34 Dec. 36/22

Denver Jan. 43/15 Feb. 47/19 Mar. 54/25 April 61/34 May 70/43
June 82/53 July 88/59 Aug. 87/58 Sept. 78/47 Oct. 67/36
Nov. 51/23 Dec. 44/16

All in all, there is not that much difference in these cities temps. As you can see, Denver actually has the coldest low averages (probably because of the elevation). Anyway, whether you choose to look at this or not, there is one month out of the year in Chicago where the average high is below freezing (barely). There are four months out of the year in Boston, and Chicago where the average lows are below freezing, three in NYC, and five in Denver. Hardly qualifies as 7 bad months out of the year, as people like to say.
And of these 5 cities, Chicago has the coldest winters, but then again, the differences are minimal; besides, if you really want to avoid a winter chill, don't get anywhere near Minneapolis, which is quite a drop, even from Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 02:54 PM

721 posts, read 1,785,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
LA was previously an Alpha World City, according to the previous rankings done by that very same organization. In most cases, and in most discussions, LA never lost that title. It is, indeed, an Alpha World City.
Really? List for 2009

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Overall, yes, LA does overshadow Chicago, as does NYC.
Chicago isn't overshadowed by New York, and it sure as hell isn't even close to being overshadowed by NYC. I don't know where you're getting your information from, but it's clearly wrong.

Quote:
Economically, Chicago and LA are in the same tier, although LA has a bigger economy, and hence a larger GDP, than Chicago.
This sentence will clear up any confusions you have. Chicago is an Alpha World City, L.A is not.

Quote:
See above.
You should really get use to this phrase too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam21 View Post
I stand corrected

Quote:
And you stand on your head alot, obviously, if you think L.A. doesnt overshadow Chicago. Despite all its accomplishments, Chicago is a footnote to people abroad. Ratta tat tat!
You're playing the same game you've been playing Dementor, too bad you lost a LONG time ago.

Quote:
Remember, city data is not the real world son. Thank God.
We know Dementor, but tell me. Where else would you be able to play out your fantasy as a middle aged women if City-Data were not here for you?

Quote:
I corrected his post.
No you didn't, I win!

Old 01-21-2010, 02:58 PM

6 posts, read 6,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
And of these 5 cities, Chicago has the coldest winters, but then again, the differences are minimal; besides, if you really want to avoid a winter chill, don't get anywhere near Minneapolis, which is quite a drop, even from Chicago.
But what about that "Hawk" !!!!? Chicago has a reputation for bad weather since the its beginning. Spring floods, humid summers, harsh cold winters with plenty of ice. It adds to the overall "mess" of our overgrown metro that some people talk about having to deal with.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:13 PM

203 posts, read 686,518 times
its in da midwest where cornfields , hokey people, and cows live

Old 01-21-2010, 03:45 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,894,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_kidd View Post
its in da midwest where cornfields , hokey people, and cows live
Not to insult you, but really? California and Texas are in the top five states with the most cattle. Also, California, Texas and Iowa are the top three agricultural states. Sixty-six million people live in the midwest, and I guess everyone of them lives either next to, or in, a cornfield (with the cows), and they're all hokey.

Your well-thought-out comment is overwhelmingly intelligent, and not at all stereotypical.

Last edited by NowInWI; 01-21-2010 at 03:53 PM..

Old 01-21-2010, 03:48 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,387,205 times
I usually agree with you on most points...but there are a couple areas where I disagree with you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
The only thing NYC has these days are... no, there are no more investment banks.
There may technically not be investment banks as far as titles are concerned...but let's face it, they're still creeping around behind the scenes. Many of these "Bank Holding Companies" are wolves in sheeps' clothing. Goldman and Blackstone are still out doing their thing. The stand-alone Investment Bank like Bear or Lehman may be gone for now...but there's always going to be a need for IPOs, M&As, raising private capital, etc...and therefore there will always be some form of investment banking activity going on.

Quote:
A few commercial banks, like everyone else, and a stock market that has lost nearly all of its global relevance.
The Global Financial Centres Index doesn't seem to agree with you. Chicago is a very important financial center...but what you seem to be alluding to (that Chicago is about to overtake NYC in financial importance; correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't seem to hold true by what the GFCI is saying:

Sub-Index; Global Rank; City

Asset Management: 2. New York; 8. Chicago
Banking: 1. New York; 9. Chicago
Insurance: 2. New York; 10. Chicago
Professional Services: 2. New York; 9. Chicago
People: 2. New York; 10. Chicago
Business Environment: 2. New York; 5. Chicago
Market Access: 2. New York; 5. Chicago
Infrastructure: 2. New York; 7. Chicago
General Competitiveness: 2. New York; 5. Chicago

So while Chicago is doing great...I feel you're down-playing New York's importance in the financial world. It's the #2 financial center on the planet, and it's going to stay the #1 financial center in our country for a long time.

Quote:
In the modern world of online banking and global capital management, both the nation and the world have turned elsewhere. Europe, Asia and South America aren't going to return like they used to for capital in NYC. It doesn't matter where a company is headquartered.
What makes you think companies/countries aren't going to look to traditional cities like London and New York for capital? Online grants access to more consumers...but with most major banks being located in these two cities, wouldn't that just mean the banks of NY and London will be able to profit even moreso than before? You're right...gone are the days of a store clerk rolling up to Chase Manhattan Bank, hat in hand, asking for a loan. Now JPMChase can lend to anyone, anywhere. There will be many new competitors but I don't see how these banks are all of a sudden going to fall off the face of the planet.

Quote:
CME could buy Manhattan, if it wanted to.
People are often underestimating the CME and its roll in operational hedging strategies, etc...but you're either overestimating the CME, underestimating Manhattan, or both...or you're slightly joking. I hope you're joking.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:01 PM

403 posts, read 1,389,314 times
I think a moderator should shut down any more chicago v ny or la threads. Im so so SO sick of the inferiority complex out of chicago. Do us all a favor and stop!

Old 01-21-2010, 04:07 PM

5,523 posts, read 13,882,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
I think a moderator should shut down any more chicago v ny or la threads. Im so so SO sick of the inferiority complex out of chicago. Do us all a favor and stop!
Strangely enough, most of these chicago vs. threads are not started by Chicagoans.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:14 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,894,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
I agree - people from Chicago are not starting these threads, they're only defending against attack from both coasts. Do Chicago a favor and stop. It goes both ways, you know. I don't live in Chicago, but I am sick of it getting bashed from all directions. People from outside of Chicago should really take a break from starting posts comparing Chicago to anything and everything.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:25 PM

196 posts, read 455,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Stock exchange, financial center, transportation hub, etc. Theres no one special industry here, which is what gives the city its unique flair, its very diverse.

In addition, Chicago's massive skyline, which is one of the largest and tallest in the world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City