U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 03:33 PM

3,567 posts, read 7,517,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
The Global Financial Centres Index doesn't seem to agree with you. Chicago is a very important financial center...but what you seem to be alluding to (that Chicago is about to overtake NYC in financial importance; correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't seem to hold true by what the GFCI is saying:
No, what I wanted to allude to was a general trend across the board in this country. The traditional images of importance in this nation are built on solid truths, but they're long outdated. It simply no longer matters. NYC has fallen, and Chicago has (sort of) risen.

I see a lot of this personally, as specialized in banking as I am these days. NYC is very... important in America, but not really the world. It's won a prize at a time when other regions are simply looking elsewhere. I don't think anyone set out and said "You know what? Let's make NYC less important!" but it's happened. Many of my clients in the Southeast are far more concerned with Sao Paulo's security legislation; NYC might as well be on another planet. California cares vastly more about Asia and Mexico, and I don't even know if all the power in Manhattan could compete with the foreign hold on interests in the West Coast.

To be blunt, you could be here or in Pakistan. It doesn't matter at all to me. I'm just looking for capital, and I'm going to go with whoever offers the lower interest rate. We'll see how the emphasis on IFRS and future legislation affects this trend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 07:24 PM

7,413 posts, read 7,833,147 times
Chicago isn't referred to as the "second city" by accident. It is second to NYC for just about everything and second to Los Angeles in most things. Chicago is not as glamorous as either New York or LA and the list of reasons goes on and on. No offense because being second isn't that bad anyway.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:33 PM

3,567 posts, read 7,517,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Chicago isn't referred to as the "second city"
Because the first one burned down and was rebuilt.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:44 PM

721 posts, read 1,521,990 times
Quote:
Chicago isn't referred to as the "second city" by accident. It is second to NYC for just about everything and second to Los Angeles in most things. Chicago is not as glamorous as either New York or LA and the list of reasons goes on and on. No offense because being second isn't that bad anyway.
What Coldwine said. This very point has been debated to death.

Battle of "number three" US cities: Chicago, SF, DC, Houston or Boston?

Read post #438

Old 01-22-2010, 12:07 AM

327 posts, read 929,178 times
Quote:
i think its as glamorous as LA....or more

Old 01-22-2010, 12:16 AM

1,855 posts, read 4,170,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifeeldope View Post
You would be wrong. Chicago has a lot going for it, but glamour isn't one of them.

New York
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Miami

there are a lot of cities that are more glamourous than Chicago.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:24 AM

7,413 posts, read 7,833,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifeeldope View Post
Let's be for real! How many celebrities live in Chicago compared to Los Angeles? Even Oprah lives in Montecito\ Santa Barbara when not taping her shows. All the award ceremonies for everything artistic are held in Los Angeles [not Chicago or New York]. This is where celebrites prefer to live & the number of actors\ musicians\ producers\ writers\ artists in LA far out number anything Chicago can produce or even NYC. When a person makes it "big" on tv or movies they move to Los Angeles.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:32 AM

3,625 posts, read 6,949,114 times
lmao yeah chicago aint more glamorous then L.A. c'mon now. Ok maybe back in 1900-1960 then yeah Chicago owned L.A. It definitely has the potential but right now....nope.

But glamor/hollywood is all L.A. has going for it, and i guess weather but thats it.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:54 AM

3,012 posts, read 5,173,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
No, what I wanted to allude to was a general trend across the board in this country. The traditional images of importance in this nation are built on solid truths, but they're long outdated. It simply no longer matters. NYC has fallen, and Chicago has (sort of) risen.

I see a lot of this personally, as specialized in banking as I am these days. NYC is very... important in America, but not really the world. It's won a prize at a time when other regions are simply looking elsewhere. I don't think anyone set out and said "You know what? Let's make NYC less important!" but it's happened. Many of my clients in the Southeast are far more concerned with Sao Paulo's security legislation; NYC might as well be on another planet. California cares vastly more about Asia and Mexico, and I don't even know if all the power in Manhattan could compete with the foreign hold on interests in the West Coast.

To be blunt, you could be here or in Pakistan. It doesn't matter at all to me. I'm just looking for capital, and I'm going to go with whoever offers the lower interest rate. We'll see how the emphasis on IFRS and future legislation affects this trend.
Nyc is one of the biggest financial centers in the world, it controled 40% of the worlds finances in 09. It is the most dominant city in the most dominant country in the world. How is nyc not important on a global scale. It was ranked number 1 by the gawcp. So how has nyc fallen and exactly how has chicago risen? Cuz as of jan 22 2010- ny is still the number 1 city america and chicago is still number 3.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:13 AM

87 posts, read 58,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Not to insult you, but really? California and Texas are in the top five states with the most cattle. Also, California, Texas and Iowa are the top three agricultural states. Sixty-six million people live in the midwest, and I guess everyone of them lives either next to, or in, a cornfield (with the cows), and they're all hokey.

Your well-thought-out comment is overwhelmingly intelligent, and not at all stereotypical.

10 million people in Chicago too.
Aren't you the same guy who was just stereotyping/generalizing Chicagoans as well-to-do people with MBAs livin the "good life", based on a couple friends and also your NEVER having lived there. If you are going to call out others for not having a balanced view (like me)....pot meet kettle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or