Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 12:29 PM

725 posts, read 1,509,961 times

Advertisements

Because they have a much larger population and a large amount of the media is located in these two cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 05:45 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,207 times
You can't grow up anywhere near Chicago and not know this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS3llgyGZ68

Old 01-24-2010, 03:48 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,958,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
Unfortunately MANY Chicagoans have some sort of inferiority complex competition thing going instead of just enjoying Chicago.
I don't think that is true. On City-Data, oh yea, there is a huge inferiority complex, but for the 99.9% of Chicagoans who aren't posters on this site, I don't think there is any sort of inferiority complex. Just like people in NYC, LA, or any other city, people in Chicago don't really have any other cities on their day to day radar. Most Chicagoans enjoy the city, love where they live, and don't think about other places. But anyways, Chicago is overshadowed by NYC and LA because it is not as big of a city as those two. NYC is our biggest city and the financial and cultural hub, and LA has Hollywood. Chicago is a great city with tremendous diversity, an amazing skyline, and tons of amenities, but because its not as large or influential as NYC and LA, it tends to get overshadowed. It's the same reason why San Francisco, Boston, and every other US city are overshadowed by NYC and LA. The fact that it is overshadowed has nothing to do with how great a city is.

Last edited by jayp1188; 01-24-2010 at 04:14 AM..

Old 01-24-2010, 09:37 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
I don't think that is true. On City-Data, oh yea, there is a huge inferiority complex, but for the 99.9% of Chicagoans who aren't posters on this site, I don't think there is any sort of inferiority complex. Just like people in NYC, LA, or any other city, people in Chicago don't really have any other cities on their day to day radar. Most Chicagoans enjoy the city, love where they live, and don't think about other places. But anyways, Chicago is overshadowed by NYC and LA because it is not as big of a city as those two. NYC is our biggest city and the financial and cultural hub, and LA has Hollywood. Chicago is a great city with tremendous diversity, an amazing skyline, and tons of amenities, but because its not as large or influential as NYC and LA, it tends to get overshadowed. It's the same reason why San Francisco, Boston, and every other US city are overshadowed by NYC and LA. The fact that it is overshadowed has nothing to do with how great a city is.
Thanks for the intelligent post.

The reason I love Chicago so much is because it doesn't have the glam of NYC or LA. And to be perfectly honest, many LA and NYC locals avoid those scenes like the plague. It's usually those looking to be "hip" that flock to those cities and make up those scenes. I hate celeb and glam culture. Look at our country...its becoming more plastic by the day and we still have posters bragging about how many celebs are in their city or how "posh" their city is.

I love Chicago. I've made great down to earth friends. I get to experience the beach in the summer. There's literally a block party every weekend in the summer. There's tons to do. It's home to the best DJ's in the country. It's got a great music scene. The food is great. I get more space for my buck. I can actually afford to go out 3-4 times a week. It's clean. It's not overcrowded. It's got beautiful architecture. Etc, etc, etc.

What's wrong with people loving Chicago more? Hopefully you love your city more than any other city in the country.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:52 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Thanks for the intelligent post.

The reason I love Chicago so much is because it doesn't have the glam of NYC or LA. And to be perfectly honest, many LA and NYC locals avoid those scenes like the plague. It's usually those looking to be "hip" that flock to those cities and make up those scenes. I hate celeb and glam culture. Look at our country...its becoming more plastic by the day and we still have posters bragging about how many celebs are in their city or how "posh" their city is.

I love Chicago. I've made great down to earth friends. I get to experience the beach in the summer. There's literally a block party every weekend in the summer. There's tons to do. It's home to the best DJ's in the country. It's got a great music scene. The food is great. I get more space for my buck. I can actually afford to go out 3-4 times a week. It's clean. It's not overcrowded. It's got beautiful architecture. Etc, etc, etc.

What's wrong with people loving Chicago more? Hopefully you love your city more than any other city in the country.
Agreed!!!

Old 01-25-2010, 07:26 AM

643 posts, read 1,485,041 times
I just moved to the east coast after 10 years in the Chicago area. I'm originally from Seattle; also lived in SF, DC, and Charlotte. IMO - Chicago is a great city. I do however, think it absolutely has a chip on its shoulder. In LA and NYC (re the thread title) the residents just don't spent a lot of time comparing their cities to anywhere, let alone to Chicago. Chicagoans (native or otherwise) love to compare them, which I could never really understand. It's a rather charming obsession. Between the three cities, I pick Chicago for almost everything. Wouldn't want to live there again, though. Prefer either coast to the Midwest. But Love those Cubbies!

Old 01-25-2010, 01:07 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post
I just moved to the east coast after 10 years in the Chicago area. I'm originally from Seattle; also lived in SF, DC, and Charlotte. IMO - Chicago is a great city. I do however, think it absolutely has a chip on its shoulder. In LA and NYC (re the thread title) the residents just don't spent a lot of time comparing their cities to anywhere, let alone to Chicago. Chicagoans (native or otherwise) love to compare them, which I could never really understand. It's a rather charming obsession. Between the three cities, I pick Chicago for almost everything. Wouldn't want to live there again, though. Prefer either coast to the Midwest. But Love those Cubbies!

LA and NYC are in the title of this thread. This thread was not started by anyone from Chicago, but someone from Colorado. The title of the thread is a rip on Chicago - as are a lot of the posts. I will defend Chicago when need be, but I have never started a Chicago vs. anything thread (they're almost always started by someone who's not from the city). Why do so many people feel the need to compare Chicago NYC or LA? The intent is usually to bash Chicago. Disagree? - just look back over the threads for the past year - I exaggerate not.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:42 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,128 times
You don't even know what you're talking about. What an ignorant post !

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanstonBorn View Post
I think you need to stay off the crack if the CNBC you're watching is showing Chicago.

In case you haven't noticed, CNBC is a financial news station. I'm pretty sure it would show news from financial centers, like, you know, New York and London, or at least places like Hong Kong, Frankfurt and Singapore.

Chicago is, at best, a second-tier financial center even within the U.S. It isn't close to a major global financial center. It doesn't even have a single major bank.

Financial talent in the U.S. is obviously concentrated in one city, but outside of New York, then you have a long list of cities: Boston, Charlotte, Houston, Chicago, San Francisco, and maybe LA have a small presence. None of these secondary cities stands out from the others.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:55 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,128 times
Once LA becomes an alpha city like New York & Chicago then come back and talk to us.

Quote:
Maybe because NYC and LA are growing, global cities, and Chicago is a declining Rust Belt city?

I mean, just ask someone outside of the U.S. about Chicago. All they know is Al Capone and maybe Michael Jordan.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:58 PM

184 posts, read 571,249 times
Quote:
I think you need to stay off the crack if the CNBC you're watching is showing Chicago.

In case you haven't noticed, CNBC is a financial news station. I'm pretty sure it would show news from financial centers, like, you know, New York and London, or at least places like Hong Kong, Frankfurt and Singapore.

Chicago is, at best, a second-tier financial center even within the U.S. It isn't close to a major global financial center. It doesn't even have a single major bank.

Financial talent in the U.S. is obviously concentrated in one city, but outside of New York, then you have a long list of cities: Boston, Charlotte, Houston, Chicago, San Francisco, and maybe LA have a small presence. None of these secondary cities stands out from the others.
Please tell us that you were joking with your post and that you wanted to make people laugh. If this isn't a joke, then it sure is one of the most dumbest and ignorant comments I have ever read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City