U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 11:18 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,222,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Japan as the capital of Asia is kinda funny. Asia (East Asia alone) is not at all unified.

Domestic business does not need to be conducted in English in either Japan, China or South Korea. A lot of international business is, though there are a lot more language pairings than ____/English.

And that is why NYC and LA always overshadow Chicago.
That's not a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 06:27 PM

12,391 posts, read 23,761,585 times
they are media centers and nothing more... most people who aren't well traveled get their info from mass media. they certainly aren't 1-2 across all measurements or industries. it doesn't mean chicago (or dc and sf or boston) aren't equally or more important in many areas...
most of the cities in europe and asia get relatively little coverage in the u.s. but they have many better cities than here for sure.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:36 PM

103 posts, read 263,969 times
I think that it is the people. I'm from Chicago and it is a very closed and closed-minded city compared to NYC and LA. It is a very conservative city in behavior.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:33 PM

13,266 posts, read 9,990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknotion View Post
I think that it is the people. I'm from Chicago and it is a very closed and closed-minded city compared to NYC and LA. It is a very conservative city in behavior.
Close minded or not extreme?

Old 02-07-2010, 05:08 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,222,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknotion View Post
From Chicago as in you were born here and moved before you were one or moved here a month ago?

Old 02-16-2010, 10:57 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,202,148 times
Quote:
Let's try examples of people who might prefer cities other than NYC for nycricanpapi.

A person who prefers balmy weather year-round and for whom this is a very important factor might prefer: San Diego, Los Angeles, or Honolulu, because that's something NYC might not have.

A person who loves having greenery all year-round and loves always lush forests and nature in general to be accessible might prefer Seattle or Portland to NYC.

A person who treasures a lot of personal space or a lot of space for a large family might have a hard time doing that in almost any part of NYC or even its metro without sacrificing a lot of other goods.

A person who likes to be close to family, but is not a native of NYC might prefer their hometown.

A person who enjoys driving and having wide expanses of scenic or maybe even incredibly desolate locations might prefer Salt Lake City, Los Angeles, or Tuscon.

A person who is heavily interested in the politics in the US and would like to work in the field might prefer to live where the seat of the US government actually is which is not NYC.

A person who graduated with a degree in geology might find that the energy industry in Houston has a lot of work for him, and more so than in NYC.

A person with a crippling gambling addiction might choose Las Vegas or Atlantic City over NYC.

A person who loves going to the beach almost year round might prefer Southern Florida over NYC.

A person who enjoys urban living, but would rather save up money for consumer goods and nice trips around the world might try for Chicago instead of NYC.

A person who is dedicated to country music might find Nashville a better environment than NYC.

There have been a lot of people who have lived in NYC and have decided they would like to live elsewhere just as there have been people who have moved to NYC and decided to stay. These are some fairly cut-and-dry examples, and there are many, many more than can be made. You can also mix and match these things as well as have different degrees for different attributes (example: a person really likes museums, but hates cold winters or muggy summers and loves to drive up mountains to go snowboarding and plain loves good marijuana for a decent price without legal ramifications--NYC is great for the first attribute, but not so much the others, so for that person, maybe Los Angeles is the better city even though it's great museums are not as numerous as NYC's).
NYC is for real people not fake people. If people say negative things of NYC they are being fake because NYC in fact is the most important city of the world. Lastly, if people want to leave NYC, then good let them leave because we are growing so much that it will replace those people that leave.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:00 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,202,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I gotta ask: are you actively TRYING to perpetuate the NYC stereotype?
I'm not trying to perpetuate the NYC stereotype I am just stating the fact of NYC

Old 02-16-2010, 11:09 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,389,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I agree with this post. The only thing NY and LA will lose is the music industry. The majors will be non-players in 3 years. Word on the street is that there will be a new center for music
I sure hope so.

Quote:
Let's try examples of people who might prefer cities other than NYC for nycricanpapi.

A person who prefers balmy weather year-round and for whom this is a very important factor might prefer: San Diego, Los Angeles, or Honolulu, because that's something NYC might not have.

A person who loves having greenery all year-round and loves always lush forests and nature in general to be accessible might prefer Seattle or Portland to NYC.

A person who treasures a lot of personal space or a lot of space for a large family might have a hard time doing that in almost any part of NYC or even its metro without sacrificing a lot of other goods.

A person who likes to be close to family, but is not a native of NYC might prefer their hometown.

A person who enjoys driving and having wide expanses of scenic or maybe even incredibly desolate locations might prefer Salt Lake City, Los Angeles, or Tuscon.

A person who is heavily interested in the politics in the US and would like to work in the field might prefer to live where the seat of the US government actually is which is not NYC.

A person who graduated with a degree in geology might find that the energy industry in Houston has a lot of work for him, and more so than in NYC.

A person with a crippling gambling addiction might choose Las Vegas or Atlantic City over NYC.

A person who loves going to the beach almost year round might prefer Southern Florida over NYC.

A person who enjoys urban living, but would rather save up money for consumer goods and nice trips around the world might try for Chicago instead of NYC.

A person who is dedicated to country music might find Nashville a better environment than NYC.

There have been a lot of people who have lived in NYC and have decided they would like to live elsewhere just as there have been people who have moved to NYC and decided to stay. These are some fairly cut-and-dry examples, and there are many, many more than can be made. You can also mix and match these things as well as have different degrees for different attributes (example: a person really likes museums, but hates cold winters or muggy summers and loves to drive up mountains to go snowboarding and plain loves good marijuana for a decent price without legal ramifications--NYC is great for the first attribute, but not so much the others, so for that person, maybe Los Angeles is the better city even though it's great museums are not as numerous as NYC's).
I don't hate NYC at all but the bolded is just a few reasons why I want to leave.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:23 AM

13,266 posts, read 9,990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I sure hope so.

I don't hate NYC at all but the bolded is just a few reasons why I want to leave.

Your one of the last honest NYC posters left.

It's funny that some people can't see WHY you wouldn't want to live in NYC. For some, its not because they can't, it's because they don't want to. There is NO city that is for everybody.

A lot of American's egos have been filled with status, money, and glamour. If your using the city you live in to feed your ego, then well...I feel for you.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:06 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,112,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
NYC is for real people not fake people.
There are plenty of fake people in NYC.

Quote:
If people say negative things of NYC they are being fake because NYC in fact is the most important city of the world.
How is stating an honest opinion being fake? (I personally love NYC but plenty don't) ....NYC is one of the most important cities in the world...it's certainly not "factually" the most important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or