U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 09:03 PM

172 posts, read 201,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
You're missing the point. There is no 55,000 sq ft single family mansion on 5th, is there? You can't possibly sit there and tell me that the person who paid $64,000,000 for an 8,000 sq ft home is wealthier than the person who paid $400,000,000 for a 55,000 sq ft home simply because it's $80k/sq ft vs $77k/sq ft.
First of all, nothing has even come close to selling for $400M in London.

FYI - the only way you could determine who was wealthier is by looking at their net worth not at the purchase price of their home. i.e. there are far more people in NYC who could afford a $400M home than in London....but until a 55,000 sq ft. single family compound drops down from the clouds onto 5th Avenue, there is no home in NYC worth $400M (or any city for that matter.)

The most expensive home in the world is being built in India (an tacky $1 billion dollar skyscraper home). He is not the wealthiest person in the world. That 3rd world dump isn't a wealthy city at all either.

Last edited by gulfstreamliberal; 02-23-2010 at 09:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 10:00 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,113,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstreamliberal View Post
First of all, nothing has even come close to selling for $400M in London.

FYI - the only way you could determine who was wealthier is by looking at their net worth not at the purchase price of their home. i.e. there are far more people in NYC who could afford a $400M home than in London....but until a 55,000 sq ft. single family compound drops down from the clouds onto 5th Avenue, there is no home in NYC worth $400M (or any city for that matter.)

The most expensive home in the world is being built in India (an tacky $1 billion dollar skyscraper home). He is not the wealthiest person in the world. That 3rd world dump isn't a wealthy city at all either.
First of all, we were speaking about hypothetical home prices...and second, I mentioned a couple posts ago that there was a $400M offer made on a London townhome that was refused (made before the credit crunch).

Do you really not understand the point I was trying to make?

Old 02-23-2010, 10:24 PM

172 posts, read 201,728 times
Quote:
First of all, we were speaking about hypothetical home prices...and second, I mentioned a couple posts ago that there was a $400M offer made on a London townhome that was refused (made before the credit crunch).

Do you really not understand the point I was trying to make?
Not really.

And the $400M "offer" was probably a bogus PR stunt.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:04 AM

11,015 posts, read 21,568,106 times
lol, how did this thread decend into a fight about London housing prices

Old 02-24-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstreamliberal View Post
Not really.

And the $400M "offer" was probably a bogus PR stunt.
I don't understand why that would be a PR stunt...either way, in March of 2008 a flat in St.James was sold for 115M, which would be $232,506,889.28 when using the March 15, 2008 exchange rate. It isn't that crazy to think someone would offer $400M during a Dutch Tulip Bulb Crisis situation (much like the real estate market was in cities like New York, London and San Francisco).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
lol, how did this thread decend into a fight about London housing prices
It started with me questioning whether NYC was indisputably the most important city on the planet. I mentioned there is an argument that London could be considered the financial services capital of the world...and somehow it's devolved into the current conversation.

I agree though, it needs to be ended. I'm as guilty as anyone else in de-railing this thread.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:00 PM

13,266 posts, read 9,991,830 times
^^ I think he/she just tried to distract you because you hit them with a credible source listing London as #1. Have been in the same boat.

NYC is #1 in the US. Just not in the world anymore as far as the financial capitol. I think its future will depend on whether Americans resume the trend of consolidating and keep giant corporations in control, or go another direction and start creating more small businesses and start to reverse the trend. The latter would mean a rise in the middle class.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
^^ I think he/she just tried to distract you because you hit them with a credible source listing London as #1. Have been in the same boat.

NYC is #1 in the US. Just not in the world anymore as far as the financial capitol. I think its future will depend on whether Americans resume the trend of consolidating and keep giant corporations in control, or go another direction and start creating more small businesses and start to reverse the trend. The latter would mean a rise in the middle class.
And therefore we can almost guarantee it won't happen haha.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:49 PM

13,266 posts, read 9,991,830 times
Quote:
And therefore we can almost guarantee it won't happen haha.
Ha ha...very true. I don't know if you follow any of my other threads, but there does seem to be a growing movement in the younger generation. We'll see what happens this summer. Heard they came up with their own news, music, and media engine. Will be interesting to see. About time some new blood entered the field.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:15 PM

3,012 posts, read 5,170,950 times
Quote:

How is nyc not number one in the world. Most list place it over london. GAWC and Timeout(based in london) for starters. What are ya talking about? NYC is number one in the US and the world.

I never understood how london compares. New york is a metropolis city with the skyscrapers of hong kong mixed with the bustle of tokyo combined with the art.street life,culture of london.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Ha ha...very true. I don't know if you follow any of my other threads, but there does seem to be a growing movement in the younger generation. We'll see what happens this summer. Heard they came up with their own news, music, and media engine. Will be interesting to see. About time some new blood entered the field.
Hell ya man, glad to hear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or