U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 06:53 PM

370 posts, read 266,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Well, you mean quoted for opinion. Not truth. This is all mostly opinion when you're just stating viewpoints like that poster.

I've never heard an overwhelming view that people hate Chicago because of the people. I tend to hear the opposite.

Same with the point that Chicagoans are always trying to compare themselves with other cities. I always tend to notice the opposite. That compared to many other major cities - Chicagoans don't really compare since it's a fairly unique city without any clear "twins" or really similar cities to have a rivalry. New York and Chicago are both urban, but talk to people who have spent a lot of time in both cities - and they're actually EXTREMELY different areas. Same with LA. Chicago and LA are just so different for many reasons.

It's all just personal opinion. Truths that are quoted are facts, not just observations.
Whenever someone QFTs something, it's because they personally agree with it. I never said those things that were said were "facts" - I just happen to agree with that particular poster's assessment.

As for Chicago not having any twins, I'd say the larger midwest cities, such as Detroit and Minneapolis, have a good amount in common with Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,294 times
Whoever is hating on LA is hating for a reason....Los Angeles rivals Miami for the most beautiful women in the country. In LA, you rarely see clouds, and it's usually 75 degrees. You see Mercs and Range Rovers everywhere. Nightlife is great, Sebastian Ingrosso of the Swedish House Mafia lives here and plays at the Avalon all the time. As far as I'm concerned, the only city in America that rivals LA in anything is Miami. Have a nice day.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:34 PM

589 posts, read 584,092 times
one thing is that there are a lot of movies/ books/ games that take place in New York and LA, not to mention Hollywood. Chicago is starting to appear more now though, like in divergent, and a new game called watch dogs

Old 05-24-2014, 11:32 PM

96 posts, read 141,692 times
All I know is that Los Angeles has the most powerful brand image worldwide, and I'm actually very surprised Chicago is above Shanghai/Beijing/Tokyo since very few out of the USA probably knows about it

The world cities with the most powerful brands - get the data | Cities | theguardian.com

Old 05-25-2014, 10:24 AM

91 posts, read 82,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somersetguy View Post
All I know is that Los Angeles has the most powerful brand image worldwide, and I'm actually very surprised Chicago is above Shanghai/Beijing/Tokyo since very few out of the USA probably knows about it

The world cities with the most powerful brands - get the data | Cities | theguardian.com
Unfortunately for LA, its reputation doesn't seem to rank as well as its brand.

http://www.reputationinstitute.com/f...ss_Release.pdf

I'm not an LA hater. Just be careful when you flaunt studies and surveys.

If you read the Guardian article, it explains that the criteria for brand scores are based in part on "Facebook likes and Twitter sentiment analysis." Guess what?

-- "Although the research was not limited to English language results, the use of social media sites popular among western countries must be taken into account when digesting the list. In China, Renren and Weibo are used rather than Facebook and Twitter, which may go some way to explaining the poor showing of Shanghai, for example. Tokyo scores a buzz of just 2, again due partly to Japan using its own social media engines – yet Seoul does remarkably well on the same criteria." --

I'm not dismissing the brand survey, but I don't put much stock in studies that are based on Facebook likes.

Besides, once San Francisco finds out that they ranked behind Rio de Janeiro, they'll quickly inform you that the entire survey is flawed and therefore worthless.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:03 AM

3,647 posts, read 5,309,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlambsays View Post
Whoever is hating on LA is hating for a reason....Los Angeles rivals Miami for the most beautiful women in the country. In LA, you rarely see clouds, and it's usually 75 degrees. You see Mercs and Range Rovers everywhere. Nightlife is great, Sebastian Ingrosso of the Swedish House Mafia lives here and plays at the Avalon all the time. As far as I'm concerned, the only city in America that rivals LA in anything is Miami. Have a nice day.
Lol, what? Who cares where Sebastian lives, why would that dictate what makes LA better than other cities? LA and Miami are both great cities but have plenty of down falls. The weather in LA is great but the traffic is awful, home prices are still too high, cost of living isn't exactly cheap, and the LA skyline sucks!

Old 05-25-2014, 11:57 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,228,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
one thing is that there are a lot of movies/ books/ games that take place in New York and LA, not to mention Hollywood. Chicago is starting to appear more now though, like in divergent, and a new game called watch dogs
They actually filmed several scenes from Divergent on my block...in Downtown LA

Old 05-25-2014, 02:53 PM

147 posts, read 112,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
Steve-o, first if you are only in youre 30's im not junior to you. Didn't yoru parents teach you manners? Oh wait your from chicago....

so your evidence to refute my arguement is a study done by Master Card (not even the slightest bit of academic integrity) and an article about an EA games regional head quarters.... Yawn....
Great display of manners and classiness here. PS you are the last person that should be talking about intelligence due to the fact that your spelling is some of the worst I have ever seen in my life.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:18 PM

589 posts, read 584,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
They actually filmed several scenes from Divergent on my block...in Downtown LA

LA will almost always be a central place for filming because the studios and producers are nearby, but the setting for the movie and book is Chicago.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:03 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,081,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantronix4204 View Post
Unfortunately for LA, its reputation doesn't seem to rank as well as its brand.

http://www.reputationinstitute.com/f...ss_Release.pdf

I'm not an LA hater. Just be careful when you flaunt studies and surveys.

If you read the Guardian article, it explains that the criteria for brand scores are based in part on "Facebook likes and Twitter sentiment analysis." Guess what?

-- "Although the research was not limited to English language results, the use of social media sites popular among western countries must be taken into account when digesting the list. In China, Renren and Weibo are used rather than Facebook and Twitter, which may go some way to explaining the poor showing of Shanghai, for example. Tokyo scores a buzz of just 2, again due partly to Japan using its own social media engines yet Seoul does remarkably well on the same criteria." --

I'm not dismissing the brand survey, but I don't put much stock in studies that are based on Facebook likes.

Besides, once San Francisco finds out that they ranked behind Rio de Janeiro, they'll quickly inform you that the entire survey is flawed and therefore worthless.
At least we beat Chicago!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or