Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2007, 11:22 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,903 times

Advertisements

Really? is it suppose to be a joke, right? Los Angeles is not even considered one of the top 5 dining cities in America today. Did you read Bon Appetit magazine ? It lists New York, SF, Chicago, New Orleans and Las Vegas as the top 5 restaurant cities.

America's Top 5 Restaurant Cities: The Hottest Seats Now at Bon Appétit Features at Epicurious.com
* Los Angeles Not a Top Dining City?*by*la.foodblogging (http://la.foodblogging.com/2005/08/09/los-angeles-not-a-top-dining-city/ - broken link)

Chicago was also named #1 restaurant city in America by GQ last year.

Alinea, a famed restaurant in Chicago Gold Coast has been named the best restaurant in America, as well as one of the best in the world.

America's Top 50 Restaurants 2006 at Gourmet Features at Epicurious.com
Et Cetera: Publick and Privat Curiosities The World’s Top 50 Restaurants: Chicago’s Alinea Makes the List «

New York is still the #1 restaurant city in the US and I am not going to challenge that but Chicago is already neck to neck with NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
NYC and LA overshadow Chicago because they are more interesting, have better restaurants, and there is more to do there. They are also not as geographically isolated from the beach (ocean), mountains, and other cities as Chicago is.

Chicago simply put has zero natural beauty. Anything its given is landscaped, the suburbs are constructed on a vast and bleak prairie-grid system. I guess the lake is pretty but so is any body of water like the Pacific Ocean or the East and Hudson Rivers. The suburbs of Chicago are overpriced and a total snore. I lived in Lake Forest and there was nothing special about it. I would much rather live in Greenwich or the North Shore of Long Island where you have so much more at your fingertips. Or if in LA in Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, Rolling Hills, or Malibu.

Downtown Chicago has a lot of law firms, corporations, and business offices. Michigan Avenue is cool as is Lincoln Park and a few areas like the Oak Street Beach, Hyde Park, and the museum areas. There are great musical performances, shopping, and movie theatres. Except for Volare's on Grand I am hard pressed to find a good Italian restaurant anywhere. The restaurant scene in Chicago is boring and not really that good -- the concept restaurant of a former meatlocker being converted into a trendy loft and be called Blu or True is stupid and overrated. Okay well New Yorkers do that too.

In New York you have so many different neighborhoods and flavors. There are even better jobs there than in Chicago. So many better restaurants too. The vintage buildings in the Upper East and West Sides and the natural beauty of Central Park cannot be matched. The suburbs are a whole lot more physically interesting and there is more to do than just eat and shop. You have beaches all over Long Island, the Palisades in New Jersey, hiking in Westchester and in Connecticut.

In LA the possibilities expand ten fold. There is awesome beaches and mountains, tons of music and performances, nightclubs that are actually fun, many diverse neighborhoods, and a skyline that isn't bleak 6 months out of the year. Who cares about Chicago's skyline when you can look at palm trees and mountains? Barring traffic nothing beats a twisty drive from the hills or up the PCH. You can lie on a beach with palm trees and in a couple hours be skiing up in the mountains.

Last edited by downtown1; 08-08-2007 at 11:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 02:22 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,208,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
They overshadow, but not equally. There's one boss city in this country, and that's New York. The title isn't shared. I still say that Los Angeles and Chicago do about an equal amount of "overshadowing". I just hope this isn't some kind of pity thread for Chicago because the city is already major enough. What more do they want? All that's left is to share positions with NYC, and that's not going to happen.
Mpope finally woke up! On a thread that has nothing to do with him. New York is the boss of no one. Washington D.C. is and as far as overshadowing is concerned, what are the criteria? Who knows who's most liked around the world, but through Hollywood, Los Angeles is the most recognizable. The L. A. lifestyle resonates with more people around the planet as a lifestyle they would most want to emulate for themselves. It's been that way since, well.. Hollywood. From Japan to deepest Africa, those little brats know Hollywood! New York knows Hollywood, too.. it just doesn't know how to deal with it just yet. It fails trying. Reading a N.Y. publication like Entertainment Weekly is a hoot. The passive/aggression isn't even covert anymore. L. A. is a drab failure and everything "shimmers with love of New York". A New York so "lovingly photographed", with that "damned funny New York sensibility". Those are actual quotes! Everything is looked at through New York colored glasses, in an entertainment publication! Ridiculous.. all they have left are these half-assed attacks from 3000 miles away. Typical. MTV Networks and HBO, two of New York's greatest media giants, got where they are today by broadcasting L. A. content for the first two decades of their lives. HBO still runs movies when they can, usually movies that have something tied to New York in some way, and MTV is a big mess. As if it were important, N.Y. will never have the tallest building in the world, it will never again be the port of entry, doesn't have the port it thinks it does, isn't the financial capital right now, can't produce a movie about anything but itself, has to truck in everything it eats from somewhere else, has the money but is relegated to pushing pencils because it can't do the work itself, its Coney Island trumped by Disneyland, Fashion Weeks overshadowed by L. A.'s red carpets, Broadway trounced by Hollywood. It can't compete for international visibility. I'd like to see people stop in the airports to watch a slow chase involving Matthew Broderick! It's silly, but there it is! Sorry. There could be a tornado going through Brooklyn, but if someone as inane as Paris Hilton were going home from jail, no contest. L. A. is also important in real ways that are not plastic. It designs cars and aircraft and shuttlecraft, directs machines around the solar system, is the leading international trader in the country, is the manufacturing center of the nation and is a self made city. It had to literally create its own harbor, pipe in water from hundreds of miles away to grow. It still is responsible for its own transportation. No one drives it to work and no one opens the door for it when it gets home. It entertains this rock, and it would be boring to have a masterbating New York run the entertainment industry. Better hope Los Angeles doesn't fall into the ocean, or you'll be up to your ass in movies flying, driving and swinging down the center of Times Square! ( Oh.. we've already got that.. ) Chicago's o. k., but why did New York vs. L. A. get only a few posts? Because, like comparing to Chicago, it's apples and oranges. Just like this thread!

Last edited by milquetoast; 08-09-2007 at 02:48 AM..

Old 08-09-2007, 08:22 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It seems to bear mentioning, yet again, that THE OP IS NOT FROM CHICAGO. We don't need anybody's pity, we don't "want" any more than we already have, we're just fine with who/what we are, thankyouverymuch.
Well it's good to know.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Oh please, enough with the petty, school yard talk. This thead has too much of that already.
Who's in a school yard? I was just simply being frank. I could understand if I had said something that "petty" and it could easily be argued, but I don't think that point can.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Mpope finally woke up! On a thread that has nothing to do with him.
What is that supposed to mean?

Quote:
Who knows who's most liked around the world, but through Hollywood, Los Angeles is the most recognizable.
Actually, over seas, New York is the city that is most associated with this country. To many people in foreign countries, NY is the place that is the symbol of the United States. Los Angeles comes second to that.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:32 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
The restaurant scene in Chicago is boring and not really that good
*to the tune of Dragnet*

Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.
Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dummmmmmmmb.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:04 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
I was talking about media coverage and exposure not popularity.
3 of the 4 most major television companies come out of NYC.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyt937 View Post
L.A is polluted, dangerous, and is not a good metro to live in
Chicago has better inner city living and it feels more like a city to walk in then L.A does
Only reason why L.A is so populated is because its so close to the border and many mexicans make that place home.
Chicago has more diversity better mass transit, better buildings, just more of a city
Chicago is the 2ND CITY!
Chicago is actually more dangerous than LA. But still, Chicago is the 2nd city, and no matter how bad Chicago is, I'll always love it.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
What is that supposed to mean?

Actually, over seas, New York is the city that is most associated with this country. To many people in foreign countries, NY is the place that is the symbol of the United States. Los Angeles comes second to that.
I wouldn't even say Los Angeles comes 2nd to that. I think 2nd goes to DC, and 3rd to SF (Golden Gate Bridge).

Old 08-09-2007, 09:16 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Chicago is actually more dangerous than LA. But still, Chicago is the 2nd city, and no matter how bad Chicago is, I'll always love it.
Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City