Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2010, 10:56 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,066,171 times

Advertisements

^^

^^

^^

I fu*king love Chicago. It's my kind of town. Can't wait to get back out on the beach, get drunk at block parties, and have some crazy nights out.

Summertime Chi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 11:05 PM

87 posts, read 79,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Are you the authority, or is this just your opinion?
check your car Now.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:42 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,454,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberS View Post
As an LA native who has visited Chicago and New York at least once a year because of family, I have to let you all know that people from LA could care less about Chicago or New York. When I visit, I am horrified by how overwieght and out of style people from both cities are. Just plain unattractive! Not one person in LA would ever, ever, EVER want to move to either of these gloomy and sad places to live. We dont care about dark and dismal highrises...how does that make a city?California is just so much larger than Illinios or New York that a visitor could never begin to imagine what it is like to live here. LA is famous because the general quality of life is FAR superior to either of these cities. My best friend is a brooklyn native and she says she would rather die than move back to that pathetic place. In LA it is gorgeous, sunny, the people are hot, there are so many outdoor activities to do, the food is world-class (and HEALTHY), the nightlife (hidden from visitors-is by invite only) ETC, ETC, ETC. People from LA feel sorry for you all. Good luck with your highrises and greasy food. We dont even know your alive.

is it too early to nominate miss trolldashian here for troll of the year?

Old 01-20-2010, 11:22 AM

87,956 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
What does that have to do with what I wrote?
You said Chicago was third on the list. It's second on mine. That's all. I wouldn't consider LA a principal city.

Of course, never having been to either LA or Chicago as yet, that opinion could change.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You said Chicago was third on the list. It's second on mine. That's all. I wouldn't consider LA a principal city.

Of course, never having been to either LA or Chicago as yet, that opinion could change.
Los Angeles is an alpha world city. It is also more influential abroad than Chicago has ever been.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:17 PM

4,671 posts, read 7,338,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam21 View Post
Los Angeles is an alpha world city. It is also more influential abroad than Chicago has ever been.
Well...according to the GaWC in 2008, LA was a beta world city and Chicago was an alpha world city...

GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2008

Are there other alpha/beta/gamma lists?

Old 01-20-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Well...according to the GaWC in 2008, LA was a beta world city and Chicago was an alpha world city...

GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2008

Are there other alpha/beta/gamma lists?
I stand corrected. L.A.has been an alpha though. Chicago is an alpha minus and L.A. is a beta plus?? Are they graded on a curve too? haha. Anyway, L.A. is still more influential when you combine economy and culture together. It's one of the top 5 most influential cities in the world. Let's see if we can guess why.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:19 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberS View Post
As an LA native who has visited Chicago and New York at least once a year because of family, I have to let you all know that people from LA could care less about Chicago or New York. When I visit, I am horrified by how overwieght and out of style people from both cities are. Just plain unattractive! Not one person in LA would ever, ever, EVER want to move to either of these gloomy and sad places to live. We dont care about dark and dismal highrises...how does that make a city?California is just so much larger than Illinios or New York that a visitor could never begin to imagine what it is like to live here. LA is famous because the general quality of life is FAR superior to either of these cities. My best friend is a brooklyn native and she says she would rather die than move back to that pathetic place. In LA it is gorgeous, sunny, the people are hot, there are so many outdoor activities to do, the food is world-class (and HEALTHY), the nightlife (hidden from visitors-is by invite only) ETC, ETC, ETC. People from LA feel sorry for you all. Good luck with your highrises and greasy food. We dont even know your alive.
Haha this is a joke. How can say this, when NYC is the best city of the world? Also how can you say that NYC is out of style when it comes to dressing? We are the fashion capital. We are the trendsettters, so you can't be serious lol.

New York Beats London as 'World's Best City' - CNBC

Old 01-20-2010, 06:32 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,089,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Haha this is a joke. How can say this, when NYC is the best city of the world? Also how can you say that NYC is out of style when it comes to dressing? We are the fashion capital. We are the trendsettters, so you can't be serious lol.

New York Beats London as 'World's Best City' - CNBC

Who is this "we"? You are a Virginia Beach resident

Best city is subjective. One biased link and we should all believe YOUR opinion??

Chicago is overshadowed only because of the "coast" factor. It offers as much as NY or LA

Old 01-20-2010, 08:44 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Who is this "we"? You are a Virginia Beach resident

Best city is subjective. One biased link and we should all believe YOUR opinion??

Chicago is overshadowed only because of the "coast" factor. It offers as much as NY or LA
Now I am a VA resident but I have lived more in NY than in VA. I moved to Va in 09. This is not an opinion, it came in the news and all. So it is not an opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City