Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 09:48 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Who doesn't move somewhere to live a certain lifestyle? I think your misinterpreting what we're saying.
Maybe I am, but I dont really get the LA or NYC image people try to obtain by moving to those cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 10:01 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,119,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Maybe I am, but I dont really get the LA or NYC image people try to obtain by moving to those cities.
I gotcha.

I'll try to get some good videos to stereotype (that's all we're doing here. however, many people eventually migrate to those cities to try to fit into that stereotype).

Basically they are conforming to a particular stereotype in order to fit in with that city instead of simply being themselves.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I gotcha.

I'll try to get some good videos to stereotype (that's all we're doing here. however, many people eventually migrate to those cities to try to fit into that stereotype).

Basically they are conforming to a particular stereotype in order to fit in with that city instead of simply being themselves.
I get what your saying, perhaps Im playing Devils Advocate a bit...I grew up in Chicago, and moved to NYC for 2 yrs after college; and while I get what your saying, I dont see it as anything but stereotypes.

Generally speaking, people move to NYC (Manhattan) to make money or advance their Careers, I would say this is no different than why people would move to Chicago (obviously on a smaller scale).

Old 02-22-2010, 11:26 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,306 times
NY, Chicago and LA are like 3 girls...

NY is the thugged out girl with too much makeup that is loud and crude and thus gets attention

LA is the pretty girl that gets attention

Chicago is the quiet cutie that just sits quietly in the shadows and waits for someone to come say hi and does not get attention until someone comes over and gets to know her

Old 02-22-2010, 11:34 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post

NY is the thugged out girl with too much makeup that is loud and crude and thus gets attention

LA is the pretty girl that gets attention

Chicago is the quiet cutie that just sits quietly in the shadows and waits for someone to come say hi and does not get attention until someone comes over and gets to know her
lolz

nyc is the girl who's loud and talkative but flashy you know, the dont give a **** type

la...i agree, the pretty girl also younger

chicago, nyc's sidekick/first cousin. ussually lays low. cool girl but will throwdown at any time she's provoked.

there

Old 02-22-2010, 11:38 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,180,873 times
Quote:
Who doesn't move somewhere to live a certain lifestyle? I think your misinterpreting what we're saying.
I understand and agree with what you're saying. I find much less of the "image" living in Chicago compared with NYC or LA. There really isn't this hyped up image in the first place about the city, so people don't go out of their way to live up to anything. I find the younger transplants here much more relaxed and grounded than many of the transplants I've talked to in NYC. Native NYC'ers have a different mindframe than many people, but they seem much more grounded than the transplants. Same with LA.

I was in NYC a few weeks ago and I had two different people at two different bars come up to me and say all sassy "You must be from the Midwest". I said "yeah, why?", and they responded "because you're wearing a hoodie in a bar" and laughed. I mean I certainly wasn't in a club that night, we were just out a regular old dark bars. I was like - what!? You have a face that looks like a cheese pizza and you're trying to throw me random attitude for putting on a hoodie to go get drunk?

I know there are people with attitude in Chicago, but randomly going out on the north side and bridgeport, people seem more concerned about having fun and being comfortable than freaking out about what they say, how they dress, giving crap to the bouncers. I'm not trying to say people in NYC or LA are ALL like that - not by any means. I have noticed it more there than here though when I travel and go out.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:44 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,449,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Chicago is great the way it is and I don't want people to move here from all over the country and raise rents & sterilize it like they did with Boston, SF, and much of NYC.
Can you please clarify by what you mean when you say Boston, SF and much of NYC are "sterilized"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
As you can see above I was quoting tmac9wr. If you would read carefully Why I stated that NYC is the most important city in the world you would not say such absurd things.
I'm not sure what makes NYC "indisputedly" the most important city in the world? It doesn't have the largest GDP in the world, Tokyo does. It's not the most important city in terms of financial services, London is. NYC is definitely one of the most important cities in the world...however it's absolutely impossible to point to one city and say "Yup, that's #1...no question!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post

Wow. What an ignorant statement. Have you ever been to New York or had interaction with New Yorkers outside of this website (which admittedly has some ridiculous NYC posters)

Quote:
This seems to be a bit more accurate than your assessment of New York City. There is plenty of bite to back up New York's bark.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I gotcha.

My original comments were more towards the Sterile Comments; and Ill stick by them: Chicago is no less Sterile than NYC, Boston, SF...

Old 02-22-2010, 11:59 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,119,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I understand and agree with what you're saying. I find much less of the "image" living in Chicago compared with NYC or LA. There really isn't this hyped up image in the first place about the city, so people don't go out of their way to live up to anything. I find the younger transplants here much more relaxed and grounded than many of the transplants I've talked to in NYC. Native NYC'ers have a different mindframe than many people, but they seem much more grounded than the transplants. Same with LA.

I was in NYC a few weeks ago and I had two different people at two different bars come up to me and say all sassy "You must be from the Midwest". I said "yeah, why?", and they responded "because you're wearing a hoodie in a bar" and laughed. I mean I certainly wasn't in a club that night, we were just out a regular old dark bars. I was like - what!? You have a face that looks like a cheese pizza and you're trying to throw me random attitude for putting on a hoodie to go get drunk?

I know there are people with attitude in Chicago, but randomly going out on the north side and bridgeport, people seem more concerned about having fun and being comfortable than freaking out about what they say, how they dress, giving crap to the bouncers. I'm not trying to say people in NYC or LA are ALL like that - not by any means. I have noticed it more there than here though when I travel and go out.
I've had the same experiences in both cities. What makes it even worse is I'm in the music industry and have to deal with those types as well.

I wore my Chucks, army cargo shorts, and a old football tshirt to a hip-hop club and almost didn't get let in. It's a HIP HOP club! I guess I should've went retro (the current NYC hip-hop scene...because their current scene died) and dressed like EVERYBODY else in the club. Your not "pushing the limits" or "living on the edge" when you simply try to look different (when in actuality you just look like everybody else in your social circle).

I had a guy in NYC ask where I was from as if it mattered last time I was in NYC. I almost punched the guy. My rebuttal would've been that you can get punched for talking out of line where I'm from ha ha.

It's kind of like how the "hipsters" image got ruined because you had all of these kids move to the city and copy their style when in actuality they were the same kids who used to tease them in high school.

I dunno...I went to the most diverse high school in the state. I grew up with black, white, hispanic, asian, and bosnian good friends. I've experienced everything from rural KY, to a KY where I was literally dodging bullets, to your major cities where its very safe (Wrigleyville) to the Southside of Chicago.

You'd never know it unless you asked me. While I'm pretty damn different, its not something I highlight. When some kid who hasn't seen anything in his life, but somehow has become edgy because they live in the city tries to boost their ego by being a placist...it just rubs me the wrong way ha ha

Old 02-22-2010, 12:14 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,190,434 times
Quote:
Not to be biased...but Chicago is underpriced, underappreciated, and a hidden gem to most Americans. It's avoided the draw of people hoping to live the life they see on "The Hills" or "The City" and has remained a low key spot that seems to only be truly known to actual Chicagoans.

I just see the city growing in the future. Hopefully it stays under the radar though because I would hate to see it lose its soul. When I see my favorite spots start to be overrun with "those" crowds that I try to avoid...it will be time to move on to greener pastures.

I kind of wish more people from other parts of the country to come live in Chicago. Maybe that will bring some vibe to the southside similar to the Northside and make it more livable. Its not happening with the current Chicagoland people because of the obvious segregation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City