Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2007, 06:55 AM

12 posts, read 80,460 times

Advertisements

I think those two places are also more internationally known, they are huge tourist destinations. NY is a huge metropolis and LA has the great weather. I think NY is the most diverse. CHI is great too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 10:00 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfush View Post
I believe that New York and LA overshadow Chicago because of the demographics. Both are huge coastal cities and this does make a difference. Chicago is a great city, one of quiet quality. NY and LA really do scream for attention. All three are great places to live and visit.
The Great Lakes , are not just a pond , look em up !.......... The lakefront of Chicago makes LA look like a dump. Rivals NYC for beauty from a distance, and , when closeup , outdistances the others. Take a ride up Lakeshore Drive sometime..............

Old 08-07-2007, 10:06 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The Great Lakes , are not just a pond , look em up !.......... The lakefront of Chicago makes LA look like a dump. Rivals NYC for beauty from a distance, and , when closeup , outdistances the others. Take a ride up Lakeshore Drive sometime..............
Rivals? More like murder's.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:33 AM

202 posts, read 270,984 times
International tourists never get that far into the interior of the country, they get as far as coastal cities. So things in "flyover" country remain unknown throughout the world, and misperceptions fly. The midwest gets a certain rep, when there **** towns up and down either coast, just the same as there are in the interior of the country, yet the perception of the coasts is that they're super cosmopolitan. Eh. Chicago's every bit as "city" as NY or LA, or any other city. I don't have any real interest in LA myself, and only a brief, passing interest in NY. Cities are cities, to me.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:52 AM

718 posts, read 2,688,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
In a sense, I agree. Being from Chicago, I know what's here. Although I haven't been to NYC, I know about Broadway, Times Square, 5th Avenue, etc. I haven't been to LA either, but I know about Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and the illegal immigration problem.

With Chicago, you have plenty to do.. the Magnificent Mile, Navy Pier, etc.. They're just not as well known. Which is why Chicago is one of America's hidden secrets. Few cities in North America have public transportation as extensive as we do. We have the largest food festival each year. One of the best skylines in the world. You have to come here to realize how great the city is, instead of just going by what you know is there.

I'm not saying Chicago is paradise.. everyone has their own opinion of paradise. But what I am saying, is if you come to visit Chicago, you might find yourself suprised.

See this post is typical chicago. ' I havent been to LA but I know about hollywood, bev hills, and the illegal immigration problem. So funny! Everything people, especially from the midwest, think about LA is what their TV tells them to think.

1 Hollywood is well hollywood
2 B Hills fall outside the city limits of LA
3 Illegal immigration is the united state's sollution for having to compete with places like china and india for cheap exploitable labor, why do you think no one has done anything about it and never will?

Old 08-07-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
If you don't want to fight back, don't start ****. Pretty simple.

You got me on the "2nd home" thing. Maybe I haven't spent my life there, but the feeling I got there was warm, but when I get back to New York, the feeling is warmer because I've grown up here. And since we're going to be renting a condo every year starting next in LA, I'll have to get used to the area, so hopefully my perspective will change as I get to know it and spend more time there. Maybe someday as I grow older, LA will be my "hometown."

Another example of a chicagoan blowing steam, i swear their mayor blows steam, and it just becomes popular for all them to do. So this guy calls LA his second home, even though he hasnt spent enough time there, to find the tar pitts. Notice how he does not hesitate to leave chicago, as he ponders making LA his new "hometown". Just like all the other Chicago transplants who up and left and now call california home. They will be the first to point out what they don't like about LA, but if they got money for beach front property, they are waiting in line to bid.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post

Darstar, are you on a mind altering substance. The lakefront of chicago makes LA look like a dump?

Lets compare... The la metro area has miles and miles of beautiful ocean, the fact that thousands of people get up every day to go surf, ski, dive, swim, fish etc in the pacific is a testimate to that.

Lets look at the Lake, half of its beach front is covered by CONCRETE
BP is openly dumping mecury, beyond a safe amount into the lake, in hammond i believe, not far from south chicago.
Beaches in chicago, south wisconsin, the indiana dunes, etc are constantly being closed in the summer due to high bacteria counts.

For you to say the lake front is more beautiful than LA's beach front makes me wonder why on earth they bothered to film baywatch in the LA area. They should have just done it right on the chicago lake front...with their cliffside views and all...

Old 08-07-2007, 12:24 PM

43 posts, read 189,800 times
I don't understand why people from Chicago are envious (or whatever) of the attention LA or NY get. I don't see people from those cities going around complaining that their city is not appreciated enough.

Chicagoans: Why such a chip on your shoulder?

Old 08-07-2007, 12:36 PM

332 posts, read 449,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Madman,

People around the world don't know much about Chicago like you said and yet domestic & international travelers still voted Chicago the 3rd best US city 2 years in a row after NYC and SF

While you are totally ignorant about Chicago, some other travel sites called it among the best in the US. Why didn't they mention LA along with New York, Chicago and San Francisco ? Did you try to figure it out yourself? Sometimes you need to think..think and think, young man!!!

By the way, do you agree with the below assessment about your own city?

Top 10 underrated U.S. cities

Sure, N.Y., Chicago, S.F. are nice, but don't forget these overlooked locales

Updated: 10:54 a.m. CT April 11, 2007

Everyone knows cities like New York, San Francisco, and Chicago are among the best in the U.S., but there are many other fabulous — albeit smaller — American cities that just don't get their fair share of the limelight. Whether their proximity to a bigger city steals their thunder or a recent city makeover remains undiscovered by the masses, the cities on our list are oft-overlooked by even the savviest of travelers. If you're looking to broaden the scope of your trips to include some less-talked-about places with great art scenes, friendly locals, delectable cuisine, and rich history, add one of our ten most underrated cities to your "must-see" list.

Top 10 underrated U.S. cities - US and Canada - MSNBC.com
Well of course it's going to be on travel sites because it is the 3rd biggest city in the U.S. but that still dosen't mean it's exactly on the level of L.A and NYC.

Small cities are always on travel sites,but does that make them anymore better or as important as NYC,L.A. or CHI?

Old 08-07-2007, 12:40 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVMan View Post
I don't understand why people from Chicago are envious (or whatever) of the attention LA or NY get. I don't see people from those cities going around complaining that their city is not appreciated enough.

Chicagoans: Why such a chip on your shoulder?
No chip. The OP wasnt even from Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City