U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: pick one
NYC 102 60.36%
Seattle 67 39.64%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 06:30 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,829,781 times

Advertisements

NYC across the board. Unless you really prefer the lifestyle that Seattle offers (which is totally valid), access to the outdoors, and the PNW weather I think you'd have a hard time saying Seattle objectively beats New York in any of these categories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 09:16 AM

5,012 posts, read 6,534,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
New York has most everything but which one would I choose to live in? Definately Seattle. I enjoyed 12 great years in that beautiful, laid back city. Love the pnw way of life. Fresh air, sockeye salmon, halibut, beautiful natural beauty, plus a great city with plenty to see and do. I really miss Seattle. I've been in L.A. now for 8 months.
Why did you move to LA in the first place? We miss your awesome pictures! Got any from the LA area?

Old 05-04-2011, 09:38 AM

2,683 posts, read 5,747,013 times
Seattle for me, one my two favorite cities in the US. Seattle definitely wins in the scenery category, but NYC wins with pro sports and public transit. They both have beautiful skylines, and strong economies.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:14 PM

4,580 posts, read 8,443,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Why did you move to LA in the first place? We miss your awesome pictures! Got any from the LA area?
New job, new city, new adventure. I've been taking pics all over Los Angeles!

Old 05-04-2011, 08:41 PM

442 posts, read 745,777 times
i must say i am perplexed by this thread.

i mean im sure seattle is a great place but how is it being compared to the most dominant city in the world? they are even techincally in the same class. im confused, like i literally dont understand. can someone provide clarification?

Old 05-04-2011, 08:52 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,173,367 times
Seattle's got a certain kool about it . The worlds largest private air and space museum is in Seattle and the worlds largest car museum resides in a suburb of Seattle it is a kool place.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:07 PM

5,012 posts, read 6,534,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetBAller85 View Post
i must say i am perplexed by this thread.

i mean im sure seattle is a great place but how is it being compared to the most dominant city in the world? they are even techincally in the same class. im confused, like i literally dont understand. can someone provide clarification?
Only NY'ers will claim NYC is the most dominant city in the world.

Seattleites will simply be happy with what they have and the quality of it. We don't need to be declared "world class" or validated by the outside world. We already know we got a good thing going for us.

It's that chill attitude instead of that in-your-face, I'm-from-the-best-damn-city-in-the-world and that makes me have a HUGE ego for no good damn reason attitude that a LOT of NY'ers have.

And the final clincher ... I know no fewer than FIVE NYC couples who escaped that jungle and LOVE it in Seattle. Better quality of life, more for your money, less stress, intelligent populace, and quality entertainment, better food (while grocery shopping, one claimed you can't get fresh food in NYC unless you eat out, it's impossible) and mild weather are all factors.

NONE of them are ever considering moving back, ever. "Not worth it, what does a jungle like NYC have over Seattle anyway? This is a great secret you guys have going here."

Old 05-04-2011, 09:10 PM

6,970 posts, read 12,581,735 times
next...

Old 05-04-2011, 11:36 PM

7,534 posts, read 8,415,067 times
I have to say Seattle. I can't stand being the rat race of mega cities. The only reason I'd ever desire to go to NYC again is for food and museums. Other than that, I find Seattle so much more attractive. NYC isn't pretty, Seattle is. I like that Seattle has a thriving downtown and pockets of urban neighborhoods, but also has cleaner air, lots of trees, is very green, tons' of waterfront with gorgeous views of the mountains. But those are just my subjective opinions. Putting these two cities together is just not even a contest.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:40 AM

4,859 posts, read 5,225,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninintothevoid View Post
Depends on what you're looking for. My preference is New York if only because NYC has pretty much every type of food on the planet and the public transportation makes it a much more livable city without a car. I've had a lot of fun in Seattle as well, although I spent most of my time in the downtown area, a little bit of time in Fremont and the Capital Hill neighborhoods. Where Seattle beats New York, subjectively, is parks, roads, cleanliness, coffee, beer, and outdoor activities outside the city. Stevens Pass was my go to hill if I wanted to hit up the slopes before going to the city. Weather wise, it can be subjective, but I wasn't a fan of the 6 months of grey skies. I'd rather take the erratic NY weather with its winter sunshine than the predictable rain, rain/sleet, more rain, snow pattern of the PNW winter. Summers in Seattle are awesome however. New York always gets hounded for crappy summer weather which I don't really get. It gets humid sometimes, its usually in the 80s, a few days in the 90s, but you are surrounded by water, and it honestly isn't as bad as some people make it out to be(its no DC or Atlanta). Seattle wins on cost of living, parking. Seatac is a much better airport than JFK or LaGuardia. If you like rock music, its a pretty good music city. Come to think of it, maybe Seattle is better than NY. I think my negative opinion of it came from having to drive 3+ hours to get to it from Eastern WA and getting stuck putting chains on coming over the pass. Going into NYC meant brown bagging some 40s on the train and heading to a party.
It might have a lower quantity of it than NYC, Seattle also has pretty much every type of food on the planet too. Thai, Indian, Italian, Pan asian, Vegetarian/vegan, Mexican, Greek, French, Vietnamese and other types too.

About 20 of the best restaurants I went to in Seattle are just as good as NYC's best. Some of them in Seattle were even better than some of NYC's best.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 05-06-2011 at 06:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City