U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: pick one
NYC 101 60.48%
Seattle 66 39.52%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2011, 05:51 AM

4,810 posts, read 4,892,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetBAller85 View Post
i must say i am perplexed by this thread.

i mean im sure seattle is a great place but how is it being compared to the most dominant city in the world? they are even techincally in the same class. im confused, like i literally dont understand. can someone provide clarification?
Well, it is almost 50/50 between both cities so this is a pretty close competition. Right now it is 57% of all votes for NYC and 43% for Seattle.

I have lived in both NYC and Seattle. I personally like and respect both places and do think they are both great places. However, I like NYC a bit more so I voted NYC.

I wouldn't say NYC is the most "dominant" city in the world. London, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Paris, Seoul, Toronto, Washington DC, Beijing, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, San Francisco, Stockholm, Singapore all are very powerful cities too and compete with NYC in many ways and in almost every way. There are also a lot of other "powerful" cities and stuff like that.

But at the same time eskercurve was right with he said related to this topic, quality of life etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Only NY'ers will claim NYC is the most dominant city in the world.

Seattleites will simply be happy with what they have and the quality of it. We don't need to be declared "world class" or validated by the outside world. We already know we got a good thing going for us.

It's that chill attitude instead of that in-your-face, I'm-from-the-best-damn-city-in-the-world and that makes me have a HUGE ego for no good damn reason attitude that a LOT of NY'ers have.

And the final clincher ... I know no fewer than FIVE NYC couples who escaped that jungle and LOVE it in Seattle.
Better quality of life, more for your money, less stress, intelligent populace, and quality entertainment, better food (while grocery shopping, one claimed you can't get fresh food in NYC unless you eat out, it's impossible) and mild weather are all factors.

NONE of them are ever considering moving back, ever. "Not worth it, what does a jungle like NYC have over Seattle anyway? This is a great secret you guys have going here."
While there are some things I disagree with there are some things I like about your post a lot to the point where I still had to give a +1.

I get annoyed by those kinds of provincial NYC attitudes too. I just detach away from those kinds of attitudes and it is pretty easy to do that a lot of the time. But you should be aware that there are still a lot of people from NYC, and a lot of people that are living/lived in NYC that don't have attitudes quite like that, including me.

I put in bold aspects of your post that I liked and agreed with aspects about. Except for the first thing I put in bold I say "some New Yorkers" instead of "all New Yorkers."

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 05-06-2011 at 06:06 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 10:50 AM

299 posts, read 520,574 times
Not really comparable cities due to the massive difference in size.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:58 AM

5,012 posts, read 6,251,856 times
I like how people thought Seattle would get dumped on. In reality for all the "ZOMG NYC 4 DA BEST!!!111!!1!~" cheerleaders, if it was the way they portray the world, NYC should beat out every other city by at least 10:1. Not the case here.

It just proves my point that a small, regional city like Seattle is unique and interesting enough to hold its own against the "most powerful city IN THE WORLD!"

LMFAO GTFO.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:32 AM

4,354 posts, read 4,914,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Comparison of these cities on weather, scenery, neighborhoods, pro sports, economy, public transit, colleges, history, architecture, views of skyline, location, parks, etc
Weather --- Seattle
Scenery --- Seattle
Neighborhoods --- New York
Pro Sports ---- New York
Economy ---- New York
Public Transit ---- New York
Colleges ----- New York
History ---- New York
Archiecture ---- New York
Views of Skyline ---- New York (but Seattle is very good)
location ---- Tie
Parks ---- City parks New York --- National parks Seattle

Old 05-08-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Weather --- Seattle
Scenery --- Seattle
Neighborhoods --- New York
Economy ---- New York
Public Transit ---- New York
Colleges ----- New York
History ---- New York
Archiecture ---- New York
Views of Skyline ---- New York (but Seattle is very good)
location ---- Tie
Parks ---- City parks New York --- National parks Seattle
Weather: There is no way Seattle wins this.
I actually think NYC overall beats Seattle in weather. Seattle only beats NYC in having milder winters, but NYC gets much more sunshine than Seattle while also getting more precipitation than Seattle at the same time! NYC also has warmer, longer, and actual summers than Seattle's mostly springlike summer.

Scenery: I would say a tie.

Neighborhoods: I would also say a tie but for slightly different reasons.

Public transit: Yeah NYC does win this. However, Seattle still has decent public transportation.

Colleges: NYC does technically win this too BUT Seattle still has one of the best colleges in the USA(University of Washington) It is just that NYC has more great colleges in quantity.

History: Yeah, definitely NYC. Seattle still has decent history though.

Architecture: Yeah NYC too. But Seattle still has some great and decent architecture that can be found there.

Views of skyline: Yeah NYC again. But Seattle still has a very good skyline.

Parks: A tie. Seattle has great urban parks too like NYC.

Overall: I am not surprised that this poll is at 55/45 right now and almost at a complete tie 50/50.

Overall, I like NYC a bit more than Seattle but I still like Seattle and it actually is almost a tie for me between both cities. I have lived in both cities.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:25 PM

1,732 posts, read 2,102,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Weather: There is no way Seattle wins this.
I actually think NYC overall beats Seattle in weather. Seattle only beats NYC in having milder winters, but NYC gets much more sunshine than Seattle while also getting more precipitation than Seattle at the same time! NYC also has warmer, longer, and actual summers than Seattle's mostly springlike summer.

Scenery: I would say a tie.

Neighborhoods: I would also say a tie but for slightly different reasons.

Public transit: Yeah NYC does win this. However, Seattle still has decent public transportation.

Colleges: NYC does technically win this too BUT Seattle still has one of the best colleges in the USA(University of Washington) It is just that NYC has more great colleges in quantity.

History: Yeah, definitely NYC. Seattle still has decent history though.

Architecture: Yeah NYC too. But Seattle still has some great and decent architecture that can be found there.

Views of skyline: Yeah NYC again. But Seattle still has a very good skyline.

Parks: A tie. Seattle has great urban parks too like NYC.

Overall: I am not surprised that this poll is at 55/45 right now and almost at a complete tie 50/50.

Overall, I like NYC a bit more than Seattle but I still like Seattle and it actually is almost a tie for me between both cities. I have lived in both cities.

I think your analysis is fair save one opinion. Scenery. Surely it's subjective but seriously. From a natural standpoint it's no contest. Seattle is spectacular and wins easily. If you're basing your opinion upon architectural assets, then NYC wins that hands down.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
I think your analysis is fair save one opinion. Scenery. Surely it's subjective but seriously. From a natural standpoint it's no contest. Seattle is spectacular and wins easily. If you're basing your opinion upon architectural assets, then NYC wins that hands down.
I am confused about what you said related to my opinions about NYC and Seattle in my post before this one. Are you saying you think it was a fair opinion and that you agreed with many things I said?

Well, to me the "Scenery" category means scenery of all types which includes urban scenery, nature scenery and other types of scenery too. So to me, NYC and Seattle are tied. They both offer great scenery. (NYC for lots of urban and Seattle for urban and nature).

Also, I did say that NYC does win in architecture but that Seattle still has plenty of great and decent architecture that can be found there too even if NYC still technically wins this category.

Overall, I really am not surprised that this poll is at 55/45 right now and almost at a complete tie 50/50.

Personally, I like NYC a bit more than Seattle but I still like Seattle and it actually is almost a tie for me between both cities. I have lived in both cities.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:44 PM

1,732 posts, read 2,102,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
I am confused about what you said related to my opinions about NYC and Seattle in my post before this one. Are you saying you think it was a fair opinion and that you agreed with many things I said?
Yes.

Call me crazy. But i am of the opinion that mother Nature's creations are far more spectacular than man's. But that;s just my opinion. The Empire State Building is amazing, but Mt Rainier is pretty tough to beat.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Yes.

But I am of the opinion that mother Nature's creations are far more spectacular than man's. But that;s just my opinion. The Empire State Building is amazing, but Mt Rainier is pretty tough to beat.
I feel like nature's creations are equally as spectacular as the human race's creations.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:19 PM

4,557 posts, read 8,179,128 times
I definately like Seattle's weather much more. No extreme heat or cold. No oppressive heat and humidity. In 12 years never had an ac unit or central air in any place I lived in Seattle. As far as scenary Seattle is tops in the nation imo. Nice urban scenary and unsurpassed natural scenary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City