U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: pick one
NYC 102 60.36%
Seattle 67 39.64%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 02:11 PM

3,219 posts, read 3,128,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Even though preferences are subjective doesn't mean that some information is more objective and reliable than others.
Sure but you could list any of the so called objective measures you're talking about and one might consider that a good or a bad thing depending on personal reasons. It also helps to look at the city as a total package rather than breaking it down into these tiny categories that clearly favor NY but may not make a huge difference in the day to day life of somebody living in said city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 02:20 PM

9,990 posts, read 8,484,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Sure but you could list any of the so called objective measures you're talking about and one might consider that a good or a bad thing depending on personal reasons. It also helps to look at the city as a total package rather than breaking it down into these tiny categories that clearly favor NY but may not make a huge difference in the day to day life of somebody living in said city.
Sure, I can theoretically argue that some desert in the middle of nowhere has better public transportation than New York City. Why? Because according to my chosen definition, I don't like public transportation and therefore there's no need for it.

But in order for my argument to remain relevant, I really should consider the context of the forum in which I'm posting - which happens to be a city forum. In that context, public transportation certainly is important. And it cannot be argued that a desert in the middle of nowhere has better public transportation than New York City.

As for breaking things down into categories - well you'll have to take that up with the moderator. Because city vs. city threads are supposed to do just that. Otherwise, they get closed.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:45 PM

3,219 posts, read 3,128,413 times
Quote:
Sure, I can theoretically argue that some desert in the middle of nowhere has better public transportation than New York City. Why? Because according to my chosen definition, I don't like public transportation and therefore there's no need for it.

But in order for my argument to remain relevant, I really should consider the context of the forum in which I'm posting - which happens to be a city forum. In that context, public transportation certainly is important. And it cannot be argued that a desert in the middle of nowhere has better public transportation than New York City.

As for breaking things down into categories - well you'll have to take that up with the moderator. Because city vs. city threads are supposed to do just that. Otherwise, they get closed.
Well we certainly aren't comparing a rural desert to NYC, we're comparing 2 major cities at opposite ends of the country. Now I'll give credit where credit is due and NYC has amazing PT. Also, I don't really mind the categories when an OP lists them, but it's annoying to see 15 responses where people list the category and plop the city name down that they think is better like this:
Economy: NYC
Transportation: NYC
Sports: NYC
Weather: Seattle
Overall: NYC

It's like wow, thanks for the thought provoking analysis. You can tell me to take it up with the mods all you want, but the posters who outright say another city is better than another are really the ones who cheapen the intentions of this site.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:07 AM

4,854 posts, read 5,215,793 times
I 100% agreed with OrlflaUSA. Bigcitydreamer and KONY couldn't be more wrong with aspects of their statements.

It is like Bigcitydreamer and KONY try to get all of their self-esteem by the status of particular cities and how they feel about certain cities and then shove down their ignorance and over the top opinions to everybody else and try to make everyone else overly narrow minded with how they view different places.

Anyways, I am completely done with this argument. I like both NYC and Seattle and think they are both great places. I may like NYC a bit more than Seattle but I still like Seattle and think it is great too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Actually, you couldn't be more wrong. Any city can be compared to another city, it's just a matter of who wins, or who is better for one person or another. So yeah Seattle can be compared to NY all day. It might win some categories for you while at the same time loose those same categories in my opinion. Even the categories where NY blows Seattle out of the water doesn't mean it's automatically a better city. So please, come back down to earth and realize that the City vs City threads are meant to compare and contrast different places so that people can gain a better understanding of areas they are interested in, or considering a possible move to.
Quote:
Okay folks, let's get serious. NYC wins this hands down. These poll results are to be taken with a grain of salt anyway.

Actually, Seattle has to first beat a host of other U.S. cities - like Chicago, LA, DC, San Francisco and Boston - before it can even be properly compared with NYC. Get ready for a long, uphill battle.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 05-10-2011 at 12:15 AM..

Old 05-10-2011, 03:11 AM

294 posts, read 380,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woozle View Post
They rarely avail themselves of the things at which NYC clearly is better: fancy cocktail parties at art gallery openings, yuppie careers that pay $500,000+, pricey restaurants and other such things. ..
Seattle now has over 40 bars that specialize in craft cocktails (In fact, GQ Magazine's #1 cocktail bar in the country is in Seattle)there are plenty of art galleries, plenty of pricey highly-regarded restaurants.

Of course, not at the scale of NYC, but considering its population of just over 600,000 in a metro of around 4 million - I think it punches above its weight in those categories.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:58 AM

8,250 posts, read 6,613,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overunder12 View Post
Seattle now has over 40 bars that specialize in craft cocktails (In fact, GQ Magazine's #1 cocktail bar in the country is in Seattle)there are plenty of art galleries, plenty of pricey highly-regarded restaurants.

Of course, not at the scale of NYC, but considering its population of just over 600,000 in a metro of around 4 million - I think it punches above its weight in those categories.
Seattle has some great bars in terms of what they craft and sell. I didn't enjoy the atmosphere in them as much as I did in NYC, but microbrews and mixology are very respected vocations in Seattle.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:08 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,003,327 times
Seattle is a very nice city, and there's nothing wrong or unusual about someone having a subjective preference for Seattle over New York. But it's absolutely ludicrous to make a comparison between the two cities based upon any objective criteria. New York is the most important city in the world. Seattle is one of several US regional centers. New York is five and a half times larger than Seattle in population alone. This is about the same population ratio as London to Leeds in the UK or Toronto to Edmonton in Canada. Or, closer to home: Seattle to Boise.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:35 PM

331 posts, read 509,715 times
Hmm, I see where your going with that, but even those are not really fair comparisons. While Seattle is one regional center of the US, you can't compare it to somewhere like Leeds, Edmonton, or Boise. It is quite a lot larger than any of those - it stands on its own quite well. If you were to compare on Canadian terms, Seattle would be the second largest metro in the country. I guess the US is just lucky to have so many great cities to choose from.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:48 AM

9,990 posts, read 8,484,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
I 100% agreed with OrlflaUSA. Bigcitydreamer and KONY couldn't be more wrong with aspects of their statements.

It is like Bigcitydreamer and KONY try to get all of their self-esteem by the status of particular cities and how they feel about certain cities and then shove down their ignorance and over the top opinions to everybody else and try to make everyone else overly narrow minded with how they view different places.
I'll respond once just to say I'm not interested in personal arguments with anyone here. I like seeing discussions about cities and different aspects comparing them.

Every city is envious of New York City just like every country is envious of the United States. It comes with the territory.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:30 PM

1,732 posts, read 2,208,039 times
Quote:

Every city is envious of New York City .

I'm a 4th generation Seattlite. Look I truly love NYC and as to the poll, NYC wins this as I mentioned earlier.

Am I envious? Heaven's no. That's just silly. I much prefer living in this part of the world. Despite the many trapping NYC has to offer, the weather, traffic and intensity of it wears thin on me. Do love to visit now and then though. Not gonna lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City