Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 10:03 AM

8,468 posts, read 14,896,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
This is super interesting to me. Santa Ana kinda reminds me of Hialeah FL. Both are REALLY HIGH population density suburbs. Both have an abundance of high density apartment buildings, and high Latino immigrant populations.
It is a very interesting trend that is occurring in many cities now, particularly in the Sunbelt. While the central cities of the Sunbelt aren't Northeast-esque expensive yet (exception to Miami), they are expensive enough that the large populations of fast growing immigrants have been priced out of most neighborhoods.

Because of that, you are now seeing inner ring suburban areas that were built in the 50s to 70s with lower quality houses and apartments fill up with new arrivals. This is where the "downsides" of suburban are felt most since this group of people is less likely to be able to afford a car and do not have good access to public transit nor walkable areas close to retail and other services for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 03:23 PM

940 posts, read 2,017,147 times
^^ two words: Latino Urbanism

Old 05-03-2011, 03:41 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,896,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
^^ two words: Latino Urbanism
I just have one: Parisfication Trading Places | The New Republic

Old 05-03-2011, 04:24 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,789,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
It is a very interesting trend that is occurring in many cities now, particularly in the Sunbelt. While the central cities of the Sunbelt aren't Northeast-esque expensive yet (exception to Miami), they are expensive enough that the large populations of fast growing immigrants have been priced out of most neighborhoods.

Because of that, you are now seeing inner ring suburban areas that were built in the 50s to 70s with lower quality houses and apartments fill up with new arrivals. This is where the "downsides" of suburban are felt most since this group of people is less likely to be able to afford a car and do not have good access to public transit nor walkable areas close to retail and other services for the most part.
Pretty much. I guess living in a gentrified inner-city neighborhood doesn't make one more enlightened after all. Especially when many people can't afford to live in those areas, and are being priced out to the burbs. Alot of exburbs have been popping up for years. The struggle is no longer within the urban confines of the inner-cities. It's the outer ring areas that are kinda being neglected. Kinda like Paris. Imagine that, the burbs are where the struggle is.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:37 PM

latino parisification

Old 05-03-2011, 09:50 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,816,905 times
Not to discount Santa Ana's density (VERY impressive), but there may very well be 29 square miles in Minneapolis/St. Paul that are that dense or denser. HOWEVER, considering that Santa Ana isn't in the MIDDLE of a major metropolis (it's a suburb or exurb), I find this phenomenon to be pretty amazing actually, and something to be proud of. Just don't compare Chicago to it, because it's not an apples to apples comparison....

Old 05-04-2011, 12:17 AM

Again.. there should be no pride in this. This is overcrowding.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:19 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,048,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
Again.. there should be no pride in this. This is overcrowding.
Well 13K per square mile is nowhere NEAR overcrowding in general. I live in a neighborhood of 30K per square mile with plent of room on the sidewalks, retail/restaurants/a target, grocery stores, tree lined streets and a healthy and high standard of living.

It's all dependant on your infrastructure and the types and sizes of the housing. If you've got 13K per square mile shoved into tiny bungalows on cramped streets than it might be overcrowding. If you had 13K in my neighborhood it would seem empty.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
If you've got 13K per square mile shoved into tiny bungalows..
See: Santa Ana, California

Overcrowding is a term that can be applied to any type of neighborhood, if there is an imbalance between housing units and population. Santa Ana is often considered the most overcrowded city in the US.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:30 AM

5,951 posts, read 13,029,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Well 13K per square mile is nowhere NEAR overcrowding in general. I live in a neighborhood of 30K per square mile with plent of room on the sidewalks, retail/restaurants/a target, grocery stores, tree lined streets and a healthy and high standard of living.

It's all dependant on your infrastructure and the types and sizes of the housing. If you've got 13K per square mile shoved into tiny bungalows on cramped streets than it might be overcrowding. If you had 13K in my neighborhood it would seem empty.
May I ask where you live specifically? When I look at Santa Ana on google earth, I see small gardens in peoples yards with palm trees.

Places like Streeterville or South Loop, etc. in Chicago or even East Lakeview, and other areas that line the north lakefront are NOT tree lined.

If all those bungalows had families with a lot of children then, which I imagine Santa Ana is, then I would imagine that it also might not be perceived as overcrowded.

Also, in many areas of greater LA, density is achieved by converting detached garages into a studio apartment which can be rented out.

Chicago had a higher density in 1950, when there was almost 800,000 more people, and had a lot fewer highrises.

Even Detroit with 1,800,000 people in 1950 in 140 square miles, was largely a city of detached homes with large families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City