Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 02:59 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,909,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
oh no, if you click the link it will tell you where the visitors are from. The Caribbean visitors are counted.

I appologize for claiming you are implying something you didn't mean to imply, but that was the tone that came off your post. especially the bolded part:
No worries and I didn't really mean it that way. International/overseas visitor numbers were being discussed and I wanted to clarify. Perhaps it was unneeded by you and taken the wrong way, trust me no harm meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
That's always his argument with Orlando. Anytime you place a city up against Orlando with him; expect him to throw out Disney World as if that's all Orlando has. Like Polo said; it's not a good look for the city.
Oh please I don't even bother most of the time with an Orlando vs. thread because I don't have the patience to deal with hoards of posts that have little or no merit. I'm not saying yours do not, but just look back at the previous few pages and I think you'll see unkind, unfounded, and unhelpful posts about my city, who wants to debate that? Disney not being a good look for a place is merely an opinion, but I don't mind since it's not a major part of life here for most. Is it there, do we acknowledge it, of course, the way Houston does with NASA. However, it does not affect the everyday life of most residents in the way you'd imagine.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:12 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,825,933 times
Why does atlanta need to be like san francisco. Why can't someone like Atlanta for what it is. How many.cities do you guys know that offer a chicago or a NYC lifestyle..? How many cities in the south offer that lifestyle.. Please don't make me get on chicago our NYc and they're sickening flaws.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:23 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,372,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Why does atlanta need to be like san francisco. Why can't someone like Atlanta for what it is. How many.cities do you guys know that offer a chicago or a NYC lifestyle..? How many cities in the south offer that lifestyle.. Please don't make me get on chicago our NYc and they're sickening flaws.
Perfect post. I definitely agree!!! Atlanta can be liked for what it is...Atlanta has many aspects that are desirable, and it is a great fit for many people Let me explain...

Sure Atlanta has culture, they have their native culture. This is the culture of the deep south mixed in with a few transplants that relocated there for business. Atlanta is the de facto capital of the deep south and Southeast. Atlanta is an extremely important city in the world economy, and an important factor in the U.S. economy.
That being said, Atlanta offers little for the city itself, in fact, in comparison to what it has in importance, it fails quite miserably as a city as an end in itself.

We'll need to define culture better, if Atlanta has great culture, then every city in the world has great culture.
So what we are talking about here is high culture, meaning.
Atlanta is culture for the masses, mostly for those in the south. This will not stack up well with world cities however, as high culture is defined by knowing the best that has been and said and thought in the world. In this, Atlanta sets the bar extremely low. While efforts are being made, it is still very low, why this is a shock to anybody, I will never be able to explain to the people with blinders on.

There is no world renowned art scene, literary scene, theater scene, fashion scene, culinary scene, hardly anything progressive or cutting edge at all. Atlanta is not a world leader or trend setter in these worlds of high culture.

Most people in ATlanta lead normal suburban prototypical American Southern lives.
They do their shopping at walmart, go home and turn on the television.
They go to work at Arby's HQ and travel to Chattanooga or Baton Rouge on business.
They get one italian restaurant or a few thai restaurants and just because it is that style, automatically think it is great.
There is no real gauge for quality, mostly because, they are completely surrounded by nothing, and have nothing to compare it to for hundreds of miles. In fact the entire region is the poorest, least educated of the United States.
Atlanta is filled with people who moved to Atlanta and thought they hit the big time from Mississippi, Alabama, and other parts of Georgia.
Some of Atlanta's biggest stars, such as Soldia Boy hitting #1 on the Billboard charts got their start in backwoods Mississippi.
You have to compare yourself with the other great cultures of the world, to be of significance, that is the reason most people from new york, or paris, or san francisco look so lowly onto atlanta, b/c it really is that far behind

They give atlanta the big thumbs down, and do NOT approve. Atlantanss balk at the coverage from New York or Europe about their city, calling them elitists. But guess what, if you want to be on the world stage, you have to be open for very real criticism, from the rest of the world contenders.

Who moves to a city because of Home Depot HQ?

Atlanta people have nothing else to hold onto, so they have to make the case that they are on the same level, just b/c they have some companies or government organizations, because there is no argument on the basis of the city itself, it fails miserably. Just because they have a skyline, but utterly weak street level activity or neighborhoods.

Nobody moves to Atlanta for Atlanta, it is not a desirable place, they move there because the cost of living is low and the jobs are good, and there are enough amenities there to satisfy the masses of the mostly southern population.

So if all you care about is low cost of living, going to church, and having a job, with enough mediocre offerings to fulfill the desires of most of the masses, Atlanta is your place.

If you care about the finer things in life, you will probably hate it there (especially if you have lived anywhere else, or know what else exists) a few people in atlanta DO want the finer things in life, but they haven't experienced anywhere else to compare it to, that is why people from other places generally put atlanta in it's place, right where it belongs, at the bottom of the barrel in terms of major u.s. cities. Without a doubt, Atlanta reigns supreme over Jacksonville, Charlotte, Birmingham, Knoxville... Everything in it's region, and it is NOT close at all. If a few pockets of things in masquerade is enough for you, so be it. But compared with the rest of the U.S. major cities it is just as far behind.

Nobody is being mean, they are just telling the truth!

If what you just read makes you think I am arrogant, pretentious, elitist, so bet it, call me whatever you can muster to make yourself feel better, come with all the personal attacks you can, a tidal wave of southern fury. I'm up for it, please believe me. But that wouldn't invalidate the argument, it would just mean you are personally attacking ME, which seems to be the case of any facts or evidence posted towards Atlantans, they immediately try to undermine what is stated and go straight against a poster to invalidate the argument. Or an even worse rebuttal, a misspelled word or two, and it only makes our case better. Even worse than that, that a poster posted a long articulate post, which instead of invalidating the argument, they say "oh why are you thinking about Atlanta so much, or you must be obsessed" At least I am not living in a giant delusion, and neither are any of the other posters that attempt to line up the city of Atlanta in it's rightly place. I don't think MOST Atlantans are living in this world, but clearly many on this BOARD are.

Last edited by grapico; 05-11-2011 at 03:36 PM..

Old 05-11-2011, 03:35 PM

31,860 posts, read 34,362,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Most people in ATlanta lead normal suburban prototypical American Southern lives.
They go to work at Arby's HQ and travel to Chattanooga or Baton Rouge on business.
They get one italian restaurant or a few thai restaurants and just because it is that style, automatically think it is great.
There is no real gauge for quality, mostly because, they are completely surrounded by nothing, and have nothing to compare it to for hundreds of miles. In fact the entire region is the poorest, least educated of the United States.
Atlanta is filled with people who moved to Atlanta and thought they hit the big time from Mississippi, Alabama, and other parts of Georgia.
Some of Atlanta's biggest stars, such as Soldia Boy hitting #1 on the Billboard charts got their start in backwoods Mississippi.
Leave Atlanta alone! I'm one of those people who happens to enjoy dining at Golden Corral, Waffle House and Old Country Buffet. I step it up to Mick's and Cheesecake Factory when I want to get fancy.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:46 PM

8,465 posts, read 14,896,767 times
Quote:
Perfect post. I definitely agree!!! Atlanta can be liked for what it is...Atlanta has many aspects that are desirable, and it is a great fit for many people Let me explain...

Sure Atlanta has culture, they have their native culture. This is the culture of the deep south mixed in with a few transplants that relocated there for business. Atlanta is the de facto capital of the deep south and Southeast. Atlanta is an extremely important city in the world economy, and an important factor in the U.S. economy.
That being said, Atlanta offers little for the city itself, in fact, in comparison to what it has in importance, it fails quite miserably as a city as an end in itself.

We'll need to define culture better, if Atlanta has great culture, then every city in the world has great culture.
Atlanta is culture for the masses, mostly for those in the south. This will not stack up well with world cities however, as high culture is defined by knowing the best that has been and said and thought in the world. In this, Atlanta sets the bar extremely low. While efforts are being made, it is still very low, why this is a shock to anybody, I will never be able to explain to the people with blinders on.

There is no world renowned art scene, literary scene, theater scene, fashion scene, culinary scene, hardly anything progressive or cutting edge at all. Atlanta is not a world leader or trend setter in these worlds of high culture.

You have to compare yourself with the other great cultures of the world, to be of significance, that is the reason most people from new york, or paris, or san francisco look so lowly onto atlanta, b/c it really is that far behind

They give atlanta the big thumbs down, and do NOT approve. Atlantanss balk at the coverage from New York or Europe about their city, calling them elitists. But guess what, if you want to be on the world stage, you have to be open for very real criticism, from the rest of the world contenders.

Atlanta people have nothing else to hold onto, so they have to make the case that they are on the same level, just b/c they have some companies or government organizations, because there is no argument on the basis of the city itself, it fails miserably. Just because they have a skyline, but utterly weak street level activity or neighborhoods.

Nobody moves to Atlanta for Atlanta, it is not a desirable place, they move there because the cost of living is low and the jobs are good, and there are enough amenities there to satisfy the masses of the mostly southern population.

So if all you care about is low cost of living, going to church, and having a job, with enough mediocre offerings to fulfill the desires of most of the masses, Atlanta is your place.

If you care about the finer things in life, you will probably hate it there (especially if you have lived anywhere else, or know what else exists) a few people in atlanta DO want the finer things in life, but they haven't experienced anywhere else to compare it to, that is why people from other places generally put atlanta in it's place, right where it belongs, at the bottom of the barrel in terms of major u.s. cities. Without a doubt, Atlanta reigns supreme over Jacksonville, Charlotte, Birmingham, Knoxville... Everything in it's region, and it is NOT close at all. If a few pockets of things in masquerade is enough for you, so be it. But compared with the rest of the U.S. major cities it is just as far behind.

If what you just read makes you think I am arrogant, pretentious, elitist, so bet it, call me whatever you can muster to make yourself feel better, come with all the personal attacks you can, a tidal wave of southern fury. I'm up for it, please believe me. But that wouldn't invalidate the argument, it would just mean you are personally attacking ME, which seems to be the case of any facts or evidence posted towards Atlantans, they immediately try to undermine what is stated and go straight against a poster to invalidate the argument. Or an even worse rebuttal, a misspelled word or two, and it only makes our case better. Even worse than that, that a poster posted a long articulate post, which instead of invalidating the argument, they say "oh why are you thinking about Atlanta so much, or you must be obsessed" At least I am not living in a giant delusion, and neither are any of the other posters that attempt to line up the city of Atlanta in it's rightly place. I don't think MOST Atlantans are living in this world, but clearly many on this BOARD are.
I see you live your life to the tune of generalizations...

Old 05-11-2011, 03:54 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,825,933 times
Quote:

Its so funny how you speak and generalize people in Atlanta. The things you speak of could be majority of the USA. I would do the same about Chicago and NYC but I dont need to drag the so called "TRUTH" out over the internet. I grew up in multicultural area and trust its not all that its cracked up to be. Its funny that you have written a 2 page article on nothing but generalizations. Of what you have percieved to be how people live in Atlanta. I dont have to attack because I dont take anything personal off this forum. Once I get off here I go on with my life im not worried about Chicago NYC or any other urban city. If I wanted to live there I would But I dont want too I dont care for that lifestyle. Thats why alot of northeastern people are moving South is because they dont care for that northern lifestyle anymore.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:58 PM

I personally like Atlanta. The people there are much cooler than the people in NYC and DC. Atlanta just has more "proles" whereas DC and NYC have more "SWPLs" or "sophisticates."

Roissy described it best here:

"Low class antics aside, working class proles are, by and large, honorable people. SWPLs are clever neutered ciphers. The average small town prole is much more genial than the typical urban SWPL, and more generous of spirit as well. When charitable giving is on the line, or when it’s a friendly voice and a warm smile you need, proles step up to the plate. SWPLs, meanwhile, are busy quipping like French aristocrats trying so SOO hard to impress their fellow SWPLs."

"Proles are the backbone of vital enterprises like the military, but they could learn a thing or two from the culturally advanced classes. Of course, being proles, they probably don’t give a **** about impressing the SWPL schoolmarms, or they at least act like they don’t give a ****. And quite frankly, I don’t blame them for eschewing SWPL tastes. Aside from the aesthetics, what is there to admire in such a repugnantly self-regarding group of irony-pimping, snark-spitting, transnationalist, post-American lifestyle whores?"

"Both groups are signaling their status through their tastes, so morally neither one is better than the other. They are both sheep with a herd mentality, just following different herds."

Prole Vs SWPL « Citizen Renegade

Old 05-11-2011, 04:06 PM

8,465 posts, read 14,896,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I personally like Atlanta. The people there are much cooler than the people in NYC and DC. Atlanta just has more "proles" whereas DC and NYC have more "SWPLs" or "sophisticates."

Roissy described it best here:

"Low class antics aside, working class proles are, by and large, honorable people. SWPLs are clever neutered ciphers. The average small town prole is much more genial than the typical urban SWPL, and more generous of spirit as well. When charitable giving is on the line, or when it’s a friendly voice and a warm smile you need, proles step up to the plate. SWPLs, meanwhile, are busy quipping like French aristocrats trying so SOO hard to impress their fellow SWPLs."

"Proles are the backbone of vital enterprises like the military, but they could learn a thing or two from the culturally advanced classes. Of course, being proles, they probably don’t give a **** about impressing the SWPL schoolmarms, or they at least act like they don’t give a ****. And quite frankly, I don’t blame them for eschewing SWPL tastes. Aside from the aesthetics, what is there to admire in such a repugnantly self-regarding group of irony-pimping, snark-spitting, transnationalist, post-American lifestyle whores?"

"Both groups are signaling their status through their tastes, so morally neither one is better than the other. They are both sheep with a herd mentality, just following different herds."

Prole Vs SWPL « Citizen Renegade
LOL! I try not to bring it out, but a lot of the things that SWPLs always trot out on this forum is hilarious if you understand SWPL "culture" and the arguments against it. It's like a guide book for all of the nonsense topics brought up on here like living near water, the "right kind of diversity", the "wrong kind of white people", density, and all of these other useless things they find oh so important. I will say though that we definitely do have a lot of proles, they are way more social proles than political proles. One day hopefully the latter will meet the former. I can dream though.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:10 PM

I love SWPLs. Most of my tastes are SWPL, I must confess.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:20 PM

I once dated a girl from San Francisco who was uber-SWPL. She...

-owned a Mac
-wore a North Face/66 Degree/Patagonia jacket every single day of the week
-had nytimes.com as her home page
-drove a Prius
-did not shop at any grocer other than Trader Joe's
-supported gay rights to the max
-chastised me for being a "provincial" and "xenophobic" soccer non-enthusiast during World Cup but could not name 7 "footballers" to save her life
-listed her political views as "Very Liberal" on facebook
-was ardently pro-choice

All of her friends were pretty much carbon copies of her. In San Francisco (and other liberal metro areas), I guess it's not possible to be pro-gay rights and pro-life at the same time. You have to vote party ticket all the way, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City