U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 07:38 PM

556 posts, read 729,016 times

Advertisements

Hello, I just wont the green card lottery so I may come to the USA very soon, as a new comer I know I have to start from scratch & that mean... College.
I am looking for your honest opinion, wich city could you suggest me the most concidering thoses criteria :

- Cost of living
- Housing
- University (software or electrical engineer courses)
- Weather (thanks Montreal for making me hate the winter from all my heart)
- Jobs (student part time jobs)

& Also, is it hard to obtain a student loan? If not how much can I expect (I know it's off topic but couldn't find it on the internet)?

The cities I look forward are :
Washington DC, Miami-fort lauderdale, atlanta, Las Vegas, Austin, Orlando & maybe New york city.

For the record, I'm a 28 year old black man from African deacent who is into the ragga/dance hall vibe.
thanks for your kindness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 07:43 PM

47,378 posts, read 67,327,901 times
Miami.....

Old 05-03-2011, 08:00 PM

79 posts, read 159,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
Hello, I just wont the green card lottery so I may come to the USA very soon, as a new comer I know I have to start from scratch & that mean... College.
I am looking for your honest opinion, wich city could you suggest me the most concidering thoses criteria :

- Cost of living
- Housing

& Also, is it hard to obtain a student loan? If not how much can I expect (I know it's off topic but couldn't find it on the internet)?

Washington DC, Miami-fort lauderdale, atlanta, Las Vegas, Austin, Orlando & maybe New york city.

For the record, I'm a 28 year old black man from African deacent who is into the ragga/dance hall vibe.
Out of those choices I would pick Austin or Las Vegas. New York is very cold in the winter. Miami, Orlando, and Atlanta are very, very hot and humid. Also, from what I've heard, jobs aren't too hard to find in Texas, compared to the rest of the country right now. I don't know about schools in Austin or Las Vegas, but I would guess they have good ones.

I hope you have a great time when you get here

Old 05-03-2011, 08:35 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,700,101 times
University of Pennsylvania and Drexel University in philadelphia love international students, and both universities have excellent engineering programs.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
University of Pennsylvania and Drexel University in philadelphia love international students, and both universities have excellent engineering programs.
Thanks for this info, I didn't concider philly because of crime & weather but if school is good, why not

Quote:
Out of those choices I would pick Austin or Las Vegas. New York is very cold in the winter. Miami, Orlando, and Atlanta are very, very hot and humid. Also, from what I've heard, jobs aren't too hard to find in Texas, compared to the rest of the country right now. I don't know about schools in Austin or Las Vegas, but I would guess they have good ones.

I hope you have a great time when you get here
Thanks for the last part.
For the heat in miami, orlando, tampa & ATL, well, believe me, if you spend a winter in Montreal (from mid november to early april), you would be looking for some hot weather at all cost
Yeah, new york is nice but the weather... I'm just affraid of winter now (once again thank you Montreal...), Austins looks realy like a good choice, cheap housing, i know it has a good market for engineer jobs. Las Vegas have UNLV but i heard it is hard to find jobs to finance your studies

Quote:
Miami.....
Well, when i was transiting to Miami, I walked outside of the airport &... I was very happy because for the 1st time in 7 month i felt the heat, bitt humid but still... But you have to speak spanish in Miami

Old 05-04-2011, 07:01 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,700,101 times
jayo2k: The crime in philadelphia is quite exaggerated depending on who you talk to, or where you get your info. Penn and Drexel are in University City which is a part of West Philly, but it has been completely transformed into an overall very safe area, with lots of security and students. Center city philadelphia is just a few blocks east from the both campuses. So basically my point is that you shouldnt worry about crime if your planning on attending those colleges because Philadelphia is relatively a safe city, depending on where you go, but university city and center city you shouldnt have any problems.
Lastly, the weather is philly is cold in the winter, but usually not as intense as say boston or even New York, and then summers are very hot and humid. Fall and spring usually have pretty nice and calm weather.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:21 AM

8,142 posts, read 7,680,925 times
Dc

Old 05-04-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
jayo2k: The crime in philadelphia is quite exaggerated depending on who you talk to, or where you get your info. Penn and Drexel are in University City which is a part of West Philly, but it has been completely transformed into an overall very safe area, with lots of security and students. Center city philadelphia is just a few blocks east from the both campuses. So basically my point is that you shouldnt worry about crime if your planning on attending those colleges because Philadelphia is relatively a safe city, depending on where you go, but university city and center city you shouldnt have any problems.
Lastly, the weather is philly is cold in the winter, but usually not as intense as say boston or even New York, and then summers are very hot and humid. Fall and spring usually have pretty nice and calm weather.
yeah, I guess the crime in Philly is mostly like everywhere, certain area & certain peoples (mostly criminals)... but one thing that blur me out is that Philly has less population than queens but has so far this year almost as much murder as the whole new york city...

Quote:
Dc
Dc looks like a strong option, I just hope that i will feel at least 50 coming february or march & humid summer.. well, more hot days than cold ones

Old 05-04-2011, 02:08 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,322,942 times
^If you don't mind heat then I would add Nashville, TN to your list of places to at least consider.

I live in Nashville, it's a great mid-sized city with people from all over the world. I've met a lot of people from Africa here & each Fall there is an African Fun Day for families & for people to network. Here is a link with photos from last years event: African Fun Day 2010 Promoting Unity Among Africans in the Diaspora (http://www.savingfamilies.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48:af rican-fun-day-2010&catid=31:special-project&Itemid=63 - broken link)

There are several universities in Nashville, a good cost of living & a strong local economy. I am 26 & think it's a great place for young people because of the affordibility.

Best of luck in your search & congrats on the green card, how exciting

Courtney

Old 05-04-2011, 04:13 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,972,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post

- Cost of living
- Housing

I think Atlanta is your best choice. The city has many well respected and highly ranked colleges/universities including GA Tech and Emory. In addition, Atlanta is known for its historic black colleges such as Spellman, Morehouse and Clark Atlanta (All centrally located in the city of Atlanta).

A plus is that Atlanta has an abundance of Africans residing here. You will never feel alone in Atlanta.

Housing/rent is cheap here; however, you still receive big city amenities. The area is also known for its affluent African-Americans meaning anyone, no matter race, color or origin can thrive in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City