Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which county as a whole packs a better punch?
Fulton 32 65.31%
Mecklenburg 13 26.53%
About even 4 8.16%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 08:06 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times

Advertisements

Charlotte against Atlanta is a no brainer, especially if we consider the metro areas. However, Mecklenburg county, of which Charlotte resides, is actually quite similar to Fulton county. They are roughly 540+ square miles and over 900k in population. There are several differences between the two. Charlotte dominates most of the area in Mecklenburg and there are only 7 municipalities. Atlanta doesn't dominate the area of Fulton and there are 14 municipalities. While the politics of the state as well as the counties are different, I think that these two counties are quite an intriguing. So, fellow friends. Compare and contrast the two. Some things to consider:
Which will hit 1 million first?
Which offers the most bang for the buck?
Which has more going economically?
Which offers the most diverse array of living arrangements?
Which county, including ALL of the municipalities, is more cohesive?

Feel free to offer some comparisons as well.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:06 PM

126 posts, read 296,227 times
Which will hit 1 million first? Charlotte is growing faster, so I'd say Charlotte.
Which offers the most bang for the buck? This can be both.
Which has more going economically? Atlanta has 1 or 2 more 500's than Charlotte, but Charlotte was recently ranked one of the best places to work/find a job.
Which county, including ALL of the municipalities, is more cohesive? Charlotte without question.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:11 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,288 times
Which will hit 1 million first? I don't know. They currently about dead even but Mecklenburg county does appear to be growing faster.

Which offers the most bang for the buck? I would say Fulton but this is subjective. Fulton is not that expensive and you get all of the amenities of Atlanta.

Which has more going economically? Fulton. Not only does Fulton include downtown ATL bit also Midtown, Buckhead and the massive Dunwoody/Perimeter office district. I would imagine the GDP of Fulton would be substantially higher.

Which offers the most diverse array of living arrangements? I don't know how much variety Mecklenburg offers but I do know that Fulton offers a huge variety of living arrangements due to its irregular geographical shape. You have south Fulton which is hardly developed, central Fulton which is downtown/midtown/buckhead/perimeter, and north Fulton which is highly suburban.

Which county, including ALL of the municipalities, is more cohesive? I would be shocked if Fulton was more cohesive. Because of its irregular shape, Fulton is very divided with it's development. You really have to factor Cobb, Gwinett, and especially Dekalb counties when talking about what cohesiveness Atlanta has. I'm going to assume Mecklenburg is more cohesive.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:19 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Homer: Going with Fulton....it's more developed

Old 08-14-2012, 04:37 AM

I had a feeling this would happen. This is just a reminder that this is more than just Atlanta versus Charlotte. This also includes Matthews, Huntersville, and Cornelius against Roswell, Sandy Springs, and Alpharetta .

Old 08-14-2012, 08:29 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I had a feeling this would happen. This is just a reminder that this is more than just Atlanta versus Charlotte. This also includes Matthews, Huntersville, and Cornelius against Roswell, Sandy Springs, and Alpharetta .
Yeah, but the northern suburbs of Atlanta are an economic force to be reckoned with. Alpharetta probably stacks up to Ballantyne well, but Mecklenburg has no match for Sandy Springs/Perimeter which is actually the largest office district in the metro and where most of the metro's corporate headquarters are located. On the other hand, Fulton County really doesn't have a match for Huntersville/Cornelius in terms of that lakeside lifestyle (that's in other parts of the metro).

Mecklenburg County is definitely more cohesive; Fulton County has too many "anti-cities" that have incorporated in recent years and there's much more balkanization.

Most diverse array of living arrangements? Definitely Fulton. Dowtown, Midtown, Buckhead, the streetcar suburbs, neighborhood villages, mill villages, pure suburbia, etc. Mecklenburg has its own versions of these (except for downtown; Uptown Charlotte lacks the historic urban stock and large university of downtown Atlanta and is a little more like Midtown to an extent) but not nearly as many.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:22 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Why did you create the poll then? Most people aren't too familiar with the counties so of course they are going to see Atlanta vs Charlotte.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:28 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,671 times
Didn't Fulton county hit 1 million back in 2010 or 2009 census ? But dropped this past census

Old 08-15-2012, 05:54 AM

785 posts, read 1,882,579 times
The 2009 estimate for Fulton was over 1 million. The 2010 Census counted something like 10% less than that. I have no way of knowing that an undercount did not occur, but there are many who assume one must have, it seems based solely on the 2009 estimate being much higher than the census count. If anyone has any other reason why an undercount 'must' have occurred, I'd be interested to hear it.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Why did you create the poll then? Most people aren't too familiar with the counties so of course they are going to see Atlanta vs Charlotte.
I created the poll to have a comparison between the counties. Many people know the cities, but Charlotte is about twice the of Atlanta. However the counties they reside are roughly the same size. NC and GA are close in population and these counties are their most populous counties. It's quite a microcosm of the urban areas of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City