U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What is your favorite city out West?
Seattle 30 15.23%
Spokane 0 0%
Portland 7 3.55%
San Francisco 40 20.30%
Oakland 4 2.03%
San Jose 1 0.51%
Sacramento 1 0.51%
Los Angeles 39 19.80%
San Diego 13 6.60%
Reno 0 0%
Las Vegas 5 2.54%
Salt lake City 3 1.52%
Boise 2 1.02%
Montana cities (Billings, Bozeman, Missoula) 0 0%
Wyoming cities (Cheyenne, Casper) 0 0%
Denver 16 8.12%
Colorado Springs 2 1.02%
Albuquerque 12 6.09%
Santa Fe 0 0%
Phoenix 12 6.09%
Flagstaff 3 1.52%
Tuscon 3 1.52%
Other (name it) 4 2.03%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 08:03 AM

7,436 posts, read 8,246,559 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite big city out west? What criteria makes it your favorite? Climate, scenery, skyline, topography, beaches, mountains, neighborhoods, diversity, food. You name it. Some on the list are disproportionately small, but I'll try and have every state represented here.

Seattle
Spokane
Portland
San Francisco
Oakland
San Jose
Sacremento
Los Angeles
San Diego
Boise
Las Vegas
Reno
Salt Lake City
Albuquerque
Santa Fe
Phoenix
Tucson
Flagstaff
Montana cities (Billings, Bozeman, Missoula)
Cheyenne
Denver
Colorado Springs
Other (name it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 05:51 PM

7,436 posts, read 8,246,559 times
Hard to choose one, as there are so many fabulous cities in the West. I love that just about all of these cities have awesome toporgraphy and scenery right at their doorstep and every single city listed has mountains on the horizon. The buzz of urban life side by side with nature and a close escape from the rat race is what I enjoy most.

My favorite city is Seattle, it is such a beautiful city! It is definitely a nautical city with salt water/Puget Sound on the west side, fresh water lake to the east. Seattle is an amazing city for boating. Snowcapped mountain ranges on both sides of the city make a beautiful setting for awesome sunsets and sunrises. Mount Rainier dominates the southern horizon and is definitely a sight to behold. I never got tired of looking at it in my five years living out there. I like the dense urban and vibrant downtown, georgeous skyline, steep hills, and the eclectic neighborhoods with lots of trees, like an urban evergreen forest. Sure it has it's flaws too. It's not the friendliest city around, but they around but is fairly polite and not abrasive. I enjoyed my time there, the climate would be tough to take year round and too much gray sky for me to do it again, but I love to visit in the summer as summer in the Pacific NW is almost perfect.

Second favorite would be Albuquerque & Santa Fe. These are my favorite desert/inland mountain cities. I like all the sunshine, but I like the chraracter too. The food is awesome, climate in New Mexico is excellent, I love the artistry and all the colors. People are definitely friendly with a live and let live mentality (like much of the West). There is a lot to do in the area: skiing, hiking, biking, hot springs resorts, lots of museums, endless art galleries, eclectic neighborhoods with interesting architecture. I appreciate the Native American cultural aspects of the state which are reflected in both cities. Very interesting history in these parts.

My top five cities in the West...

1: Seattle
2: Albuquerque/Santa Fe
3: Denver
4: San Diego
5: San Francisco

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 05-06-2011 at 06:01 PM..

Old 05-06-2011, 05:56 PM

870 posts, read 757,484 times
My favorite is Seattle too, for the reasons mentioned. I also like the different cultures there and how educated it feels. Next would be Salt Lake City, Portland, San Diego, and Anaheim.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:28 PM

2,416 posts, read 4,095,415 times
Although I have many, my favorite city in the west is Denver

Old 05-06-2011, 07:36 PM

1,678 posts, read 1,798,999 times
Phoenix. Its the only West city I've lived in.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:39 PM

705 posts, read 770,984 times
Denver.

Extremely family-oriented, very outdoorsy, healthy, and it's unique in that it's probably the least western city on the list, in that it's flat, midwestern, and almost entirely situated on the Great Plains and it certainly maintains a lot of that culture. Yet it's also a western city with mountains and the corresponding outdoorsy culture.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:58 PM

5,012 posts, read 6,455,840 times
It depends on what you're looking for.

Seattle is a great place to raise a family. Low crime, plenty of outdoors activity, and even though many of the city schools are averagely bad by US standards, a lot of parents intervene and try to get their kids to study hard (and the more affluent eastern suburbs have MUCH better schools).

The downside is, it is VERY expensive to raise a family here. Housing is atrociously expensive and I am hard pressed to think of any working family who can afford it without adding a crushing amount of debt or had already bought about 20 years ago.

But, compared to the coastal cities, it is "cheap" for what you get.

For visiting, I would say San Fran. Don't know if I'd enjoy living there but I did enjoy visiting.

LA was a car-centric city and ... I'll just say that I don't like endless suburbia. Same goes for Phoenix (and to top it off I can count on one hand the number of reasonable and nice people in Phoenix, 99.9999% of the people there were rude, selfish, self-entitled, dangerous drivers, and gun crazy).

Old 05-06-2011, 09:46 PM

3,958 posts, read 3,241,911 times
Vancouver

Old 05-07-2011, 09:54 AM

19,253 posts, read 16,425,284 times
Is probably a toss up for me between SD and SF followed by LA.

I also enjoy Seatlle quite a bit

Old 05-07-2011, 10:01 AM

2,757 posts, read 2,241,165 times
Fully aware of all of its negatives, I'd still have to say Los Angeles.
That city has such a strong sense of place, and a weird gritty realness that contrasts with all of the stereotypical fantasyland fakeness. Just a really interesting city with so much diversity and so many things going on, surrounded by some really surrealistically beautiful natural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City