Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 02:20 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,372,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
We have radar. We sense incoming hostiles.
Bad radar and a lack of sense.

I'm not hostile toward Seattle. It was a very bad first impression and it stuck. All the good I've heard can't outweigh that. I wouldn't discourage anyone from visiting or moving there. I prefer to stay out of conversations about Seattle because my experience was long ago and the city has changed a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 02:40 PM

258 posts, read 1,034,740 times
Seattle BY FAR

Old 05-08-2011, 03:22 PM

4 posts, read 17,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Tydus, do you mind sharing why? Thanks for the input.
general personality of city residents (how they view themselves)
I have been to pittsburgh many times, and never have I found anyone who would be considered nasty. I've heard good things about seattles too.

intellectual element to population? educated populace?
Both cities rank as some of the most literate in the US. Central Connecticut State University (CCSU): America's Most Literate Cities 2010 But I would give the edge to seattle.

walkable/bikeable?
Both cities are very walkable, with tons of bike paths. But I have never seen pittsburgh ranked in some of the top biking city lists, so I would give the edge to seattle.

effectiveness/ease of public transportation
Both public transportation systems are decent sized. Pittsburgh's is actually very large when compared to other cities of its size, and buses are everywhere, especially during rush hour. I would put seattle ahead of pittsburgh though, because of the funding crisis.

assessment of public/private schools
Seattles schools are ranked as some of the best in the US. Pittsburgh has decent schools.

parks/wildlife/nature
Both are largely outdoorsy cities. Seattle is good for skiing and snowboarding because of its mountains, and pittsburgh is good for kayaking because of a large presence of natural waterways. I would also give the edge to seattle on this one, though.

bookstores/coffee shops/independent shops
Each city has large amount of bookstores and independent shops. As for coffee shops, I'm not even going to answer this one.

family life -- good place to raise kids?
Pittsburgh isn't the most livable city for nothing.

houses -- well-built? safe neighborhoods?
Pittsburgh has much older houses then seattle, so you probably won't be moving in to a very "high tech" building like seattle's. As for safe neighborhoods, both city's are generally safe.

gang activity? racism? crime?
Neither cities are very dangerous to live in. But pittsburgh's racial tensions are much higher then seattle's.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:38 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,648,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
That Cheerleading of Seattle is what you call facts? You know nothing of Pittsburgh and have proven that.
And yet you still don't respond to a single one. I certainly understand why you keep deflecting. When you are so completely off base it's all you have. I'll be laughing about the coffee comments for a long time.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:06 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,892,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
And yet you still don't respond to a single one. I certainly understand why you keep deflecting. When you are so completely off base it's all you have. I'll be laughing about the coffee comments for a long time.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:00 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I see we have bunch of Seattle homers that never stepped foot in Current day Pittsburgh...

I have travelled to Seattle on Business twice and stayed mostly in the core Downtown but did some riding around...

1 - Seattle is hardly what I'd call a "Tourist" city
Wow Seattle has 9.1 million tourist a year who spend 15.2 billion dollars.
2 - Pittsburgh has vibrant, lively, pulsating neighborhoods bustling with activity day and night, outside of Seattle's downtown it was all sleeper residential neighborhoods some looking quite suburbish.

3 - Seattle's downtown the 2 times Ive visited was Pretty dead this may have been because it was a Monday and Tuesday night both times. Again Pittsburgh's downtown is no Manhattan, but atleast what's missing downtown is made up for in its neighborhoods.
HaHa wrong places then Seattle is lively Seattle 6.1 million sq ft retail downtown and over 1000 coffe shops , restraunts , and bars
4 - Both Pittsburgh and Seattle are Very Lush and Green....I like that alot

5 - Pittsburgh has tons of bike trails, where's Seattle's biking its more integrated into the streets...both are very Outdoorsy cities.

6 - Both have top notch College Institutions.

7 - Pittsburgh still have remnants of a once Very Old Industrial city, that is now grown into into a pretty modern city while retaining that grit....where's Seattle was pretty modern right from the beginning.

8 - Seattle and Pittsburgh are mostly Bus operated Public Transit systems, Pittsburgh's however is suffering from The Old Boys political system where politicians think Pittsburgh can survive with reduced transit and everyone jamming into their cars to get everywhere...While Seattle's did seem more progressive and extensive, which I'm a strong advocate of..
Seattle has 2 comuter rail lines 1 light rail line and 2 under construction and street car line with one under construction. And dont forgrt the monorail.
9 - Pittsburgh is Sports Red meat eating city....Seattle its more of a Geeky Tech (not that there anything wrong with that) Crunchy city...

10 - Pittsburgh from what I hear has a better Music scene, didnt get to sample Seattles...

11 - Both Cities get alot of Rain and I do mean ALOT, but Pittsburgh has a more brutal Winter to contend with.

12 - Coffee i'd give the edge ever so slightly to Seattle because it is the home of Starbucks which dominates the Burgh...but Pittsburgh also has a ton of Indies as well as Dunkin Donuts making a resurgence.

13 - Seattle is more Transient than the Burgh

I hear all the time Pittsburgh is the East's Portland/Seattle just with more grit....
Dont think you have been to Seattle.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:10 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,892,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Dont think you have been to Seattle.
And I dont think most of you Seattle homers have ever stepped foot in Pittsburgh with your elitest attitudes that Seattle is leauges above Pittsburgh.....PUUUUUUUULEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSEEE!!!!

Now see we both have our opinions!

Old 05-09-2011, 02:06 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
It would be hard to distinguish Seattle from Pittsburgh in some of these photos. Thanks for sharing! Pittsburgh looks beautiful and lively.
Pittsburgh is a beautifull city I like some of the buildings better than Seattle . I like Seattles Skyline for the natural area it sits and that its a much larger and dense skyline than Pittsburgh.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:32 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,358 times
Leaning towards Pittsburgh. I plan to visit in August, and will scrutinize the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City