U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2008, 10:07 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,296,259 times

Advertisements

Nothing can beat the NYC skyline! Other cities might have a bunch of modern buildings, but NYC has the combination of both Classic and Modern buildings. Chicago skyline is quite good, but NYC has it best. Just click on this pic to make it bigger!

Old 12-03-2008, 10:29 PM

5,514 posts, read 17,641,824 times
Damn, look at all those housing projects.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:29 PM
RR3

41 posts, read 39,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeneverywheretwice View Post
You don't get out much, do you? Try Toyko, London, Paris, just to name a few. Yes, NYC is in the top 5 but, "most amazing" is debatable.

At any rate, most of this post in the thread are off topic(including mine). The question was regarding the two skylines.
And how would you know where he/she has been?

I've lived in Paris (briefly, although), I absolutely love it, but I still think New York is the "Best in the world". It's NY, Paris, London, Tokyo in my opinion.

Regarding Chicago, it is too small town for me. It reminds me of a small town with tall buildings.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:51 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,174,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
Nothing can beat the NYC skyline! Other cities might have a bunch of modern buildings, but NYC has the combination of both Classic and Modern buildings. Chicago skyline is quite good, but NYC has it best. Just click on this pic to make it bigger!

its not even about the skyline...

Old 12-04-2008, 09:15 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,311,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
If I haven't already, I have to disagree with all you (don't kill me, okay) but really this thread is about skylines, and if it is a NYC v. CHI skyline thread then CHI should win. I just think some people are oblivious to Chicago's skyline, or they just think NYC because it is a bigger city, that you are told about since the time you are born. Really we go through this all the time so I won't elaborate anymore because there is to many threads like this already. But in the end I think CHI has a better skyline plain and simple.
Have you ever been to NYC?
I've been to both cities multiple times and, sorry to clue you in but, NYC is like 5 Chicagos in pretty much every category.
Every time I go to NYC I am bowled over by the magnitude. Not so for Chicago.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:09 PM

187 posts, read 476,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR3 View Post
And how would you know where he/she has been?

I've lived in Paris (briefly, although), I absolutely love it, but I still think New York is the "Best in the world". It's NY, Paris, London, Tokyo in my opinion.

Regarding Chicago, it is too small town for me. It reminds me of a small town with tall buildings.
You are entitled to your opinion but, I suspect you are one of the flag-waving Americans that thinks all things American are the best in the world. NYC's crime-rate, uncleanliness, and unfriendliness, automatically takes it out of the top spot. DEAL WITH IT!

And as far as your comment regarding Chicago is concerned, to say it's a small town to you is ludicrous unless your from NY, LON, TOYKO, etc. There's nothing NYC has that Chicago doesn't have, NYC just has more of it(along with all the problems that causes). And of course everyone knows Chicago is much more livable.

When NYC city cleans up it's act let me know. Manhattan, putting garbage out on the street to be picked up. Yeah that's attractive, not to mention poor urban-planning. But then again, urban-planning is what Chicago has been internationally renowned for over a century.

Last edited by beeneverywheretwice; 12-04-2008 at 02:55 PM..

Old 12-04-2008, 02:40 PM

4,951 posts, read 8,515,955 times
You sound ridiculous! Poor urban planning? Chicago has the advantage of laying on some unchallenging flat land. It's easy to lay out a city when there aren't any natural barriers. NYC lies on rivers, inlets, islands, cliffs, peninsulas, beaches & oceans, bays, etc... I think the city is planned exceptionally well considering the challenges. NYC moves more people on one subway line than the entire population of Chicago.

Last edited by DC's Finest; 12-04-2008 at 02:49 PM..

Old 12-04-2008, 02:50 PM

50 posts, read 128,507 times
This thread is a conundrum. people are bashing each city- A) because they haven't been there and have no factual basis for their opinion. Or B) because they have a superiority complex about their city. Both NYC and CHI have their ups and downs, and they are too different to compare in a logical way without intentional slander.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Yo!

33 posts, read 29,314 times
NYC has a beach on the ocean.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:00 PM

2,145 posts, read 2,648,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
You sound ridiculous! Poor urban planning? Chicago has the advantage of laying on some unchallenging flat land. It's easy to lay out a city when there aren't any natural barriers. NYC lies on rivers, inlets, islands, cliffs, peninsulas, beaches & oceans, bays, etc... I think the city is planned exceptionally well considering the challenges. NYC moves more people on one subway line than the entire population of Chicago.
There's a lot of that to go around. He was just responding to someone who actually had the audacity to say, Regarding Chicago, it is too small town for me. It reminds me of a small town with tall buildings. Wha??? Huh?! What a provincial, uninformed and inflammatory thing to say.

BTW-- In response to Chicago's "unchallenging flat land"... Chicago is built on a marsh. To address growth, city engineers ultimately raised the entire city 10 feet-- all the while the city moved fluidly about its business. Chicago also took it upon itself to redirect the flow of a river. It also tunneled 1 1/2 miles-- several times-- below Lake Michigan to ensure clean drinking water. So much for an unchallenging environment and an ability to address and overcome.

In reponse to the subway comment-- there isn't one. NYC subway is a modern marvel. Chicago's is a running joke that's getting worse by the day.

Ultimately... Chicago and NYC are the US' best specimens of how large cities plan, grow, adapt and flourish. Ripping one down does not improve the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or