U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2013, 02:07 PM

11,898 posts, read 9,627,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I think this mystery person who lives in a small place in NYC and only talks about it yet never does anything is only in theory. At best, that person eventually moves. But I have never known anybody who is in a major city to never go out in say NYC, yet suddenly move to more affordable Chicago, Boston, Philly etc and suddenly be going out all the time... and vice versa. Meaning even if they DID move from NYC, to say, Philly, or even Denver, they aren't all of a sudden going to be having this fabulous lifestyle. If you live in Long Island and stay in Long Island, and never venture into the city, yeah... a move might help. But they aren't goin to be movin to a *city* somewhere else either and enjoying it, they usually move to like suburban Denver or Atlanta or something. And other than these weird "theoretical" people who move to NYC and struggle, I think more often than not, those with the means to relocate to NYC often do b/c they feel stilted in their career in whatever city they currently are and need to make a jump, or are offered a job in NYC.
You summed up reality very well, as always. Let's not focus on these fantasy people who wish to do every little thing possible in the city they live in, therefore are better off in a smaller city that offers less because they actually can do everything in that case. Spare me.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:08 PM

414 posts, read 430,929 times
Quote:
I think this mystery person who lives in a small place in NYC and only talks about it yet never does anything is only in theory. At best, that person eventually moves. But I have never known anybody who is in a major city to never go out in say NYC, yet suddenly move to more affordable Chicago, Boston, Philly etc and suddenly be going out all the time... and vice versa. Meaning even if they DID move from NYC, to say, Philly, or even Denver, they aren't all of a sudden going to be having this fabulous lifestyle. If you live in Long Island and stay in Long Island, and never venture into the city, yeah... a move might help. But they aren't goin to be movin to a *city* somewhere else either and enjoying it, they usually move to like suburban Denver or Atlanta or something. And other than these weird "theoretical" people who move to NYC and struggle, I think more often than not, those with the means to relocate to NYC often do b/c they feel stilted in their career in whatever city they currently are and need to make a jump, or are offered a job in NYC.
depends
i fit your description in a sense that i dont go out to the city that often, but part of it is because its hard to do it cuz its expensive and takes a while getting to, that said i will be moving to suburbs of a smaller city, amenities of which i will enjoy more cuz its more manageable, but still live in the burbs most likely, when i lived in a smaller city, i went out there on the weekends pretty regularly and then back to the burbs
some people who value urban living might still pick another city than nyc due to cost, climate, vibe, etc

Old 09-07-2013, 02:12 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,995,461 times
Quote:
So essentially from the first part of your post, a city can't make a person become more lively, or a fun individual. Regardless where someone lives if a person is dull and boring moving to a less expensive city (no matter how affordable or what it has to offer) wouldn't change the fact that that individual is just boring. Lol, acting as if he were to go out in SF and Chicago it'll be 10x's cheaper than NY and his life would be full of joy and mysterious wonders!

I love that perspective and honestly thought that was evident. You summed up the last 10 Pages of what was said!

Old 09-07-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
So essentially from the first part of your post, a city can't make a person become more lively, or a fun individual. Regardless where someone lives if a person is dull and boring moving to a less expensive city (no matter how affordable or what it has to offer) wouldn't change the fact that that individual is just boring. Lol, acting as if he were to go out in SF and Chicago it'll be 10x's cheaper than NY and his life would be full of joy and mysterious wonders!

I love that perspective and honestly thought that was evident. You summed up the last 10 Pages of what was said!
personally i dont need all the action that nyc offers, does it make me dull and boring because im fine with less?
in other words, u cant generalize like that, some people WILL actually have more fun in philly, chicago, portland or wateva cuz thats where they are comfortable
when ur unhappy where u are for whateva reasons, u dont even feel like goin out a lot of times, doesnt mean u wont go out if u move elsewhere and better yo living conditions, u will cuz ull be in a better mood

Old 09-07-2013, 02:24 PM

39 posts, read 42,816 times
Hands down NYC. Even more so if you're a single man of dating age. NY is wonderful and has culture, top notch places to eat, and a thriving scene. It's truly a world class city. It's also the only truly walkable urban environment in the U.S. Forget Baw'ston.

Chicago is too segregated, corrupt, pessimistic, and political. The women are as frigid as the winters and as materialistic/superificial as a Chicago politician. It's everything bad about the big city with few of the positives. The south side is also being consumed by crime. The only good thing about Chicago is the employment situation isn't awful and there are cheap places to live outside of Chicago proper.

Do you really want to stake your future in a city where the local gangster thugs have nicknamed "ChIraq" ?

Last edited by paradoxical; 09-07-2013 at 02:36 PM..

Old 09-07-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical View Post
Hands down NYC. Even more so if you're a single man of dating age. NY is wonderful and has culture, top notch places to eat, and a thriving scene. It's truly a world class city. It's also the only truly walkable urban environment in the U.S. Forget Baw'ston.

Chicago is too segregated, corrupt, pessimistic, and political. The women are as frigid as the winters and as materialistic/superificial as a Chicago politician. It's everything bad about the big city with few of the positives. The south side is also being consumed by crime. The only good thing about Chicago is the employment situation isn't awful and there are cheap places to live outside of Chicago proper.

Do you really want to stake your future in a city where the local gangster thugs have nicknamed "ChIraq" ?
eryth u said could be jus as easily said about nyc
The Rotten Apple...

Old 09-07-2013, 02:57 PM

39 posts, read 42,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
eryth u said could be jus as easily said about nyc
The Rotten Apple...
I lived and worked in the finance industry in both cities. NYC was exponentially better for me. There were way more eligible single women from all around the world with diverse interests and people knew how to have fun. In Chicago if you were not part of the immediate social circle or flossing with your luxury car/penthouse or political connections then you went home alone.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:59 PM

555 posts, read 468,168 times
Quote:

Quote:
I lived and worked in the finance industry in both cities. NYC was exponentially better for me. There were way more eligible single women from all around the world with diverse interests and people knew how to have fun. In Chicago if you were not part of the immediate social circle or flossing with your luxury car/penthouse or political connections then you went home alone.
I simply agree with everything here from frigid women to Chicago being pessimistic. There is something about that city that is disturbing once you spend some time there.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:02 PM

1,900 posts, read 2,170,198 times
Quote:
Another fine example of the Chicago ladies keeping the gene pool swimming.....sore loser.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:02 PM

555 posts, read 468,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
personally i dont need all the action that nyc offers, does it make me dull and boring because im fine with less?
in other words, u cant generalize like that, some people WILL actually have more fun in philly, chicago, portland or wateva cuz thats where they are comfortable
when ur unhappy where u are for whateva reasons, u dont even feel like goin out a lot of times, doesnt mean u wont go out if u move elsewhere and better yo living conditions, u will cuz ull be in a better mood
I think until you learn to spell you will be uncomfortable in any big city. When you write like a 10 years old people treat you like a 10 years old and employment opportunities are rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or