U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2013, 04:34 PM

2,023 posts, read 2,342,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
Watching the cubs play is not the same as watching Yankees, l
Capitalize Cubs Tard......yankees fans have absolutely no idea what they are missing. Wrigley Field is as close to Baseball Nirvana the planet will ever know....regardless of which team wins.

You dig low often, but this one is spectacularly subterranean.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:45 PM

4,235 posts, read 5,448,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical View Post
Chicago is the only city in America where I felt like I wasn't sleazy enough or corrupt enough to live there. I guess I had to give a few backhanders to Congressmen to fit in with the upper crust there.
Uhh...D.C. would like its moniker back.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:53 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,211,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
How often do the 8.3 million that live in NYC actually use everything NYC offers?

You always see this as a reason why people live there, but im willing to bet that the vast vast majority only stick to their six-block radius for 80% of their needs. I surely did.

Its style points. "We have this, this, that" - Right right, but the real question is, do you use them? and how often? It becomes a question of practicality.
To be honest, you just described Chicago just as much as you described New York. People here stay in their little bubbles as well, especially people on the north side. I do suppose that the city's cultural amenities are easier to get to for the broader population though since they're so highly centralized around downtown, but it's the stuff that's off the beaten path that's going to be an absolute pain to get to depending on where you're coming from in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Capitalize Cubs Tard......yankees fans have absolutely no idea what they are missing. Wrigley Field is as close to Baseball Nirvana the planet will ever know....regardless of which team wins.

You dig low often, but this one is spectacularly subterranean.
I love Chicago, and that's why I moved here, but I will never understand this city's obsession with the Cubs and Wrigleyfield. Granted, I'm a Cards fan so that's also probably skewing my opinion on the matter

Old 09-07-2013, 05:00 PM

555 posts, read 486,483 times
Quote:
Chicago is the only city in America where I felt like I wasn't sleazy enough or corrupt enough to live there. I guess I had to give a few backhanders to Congressmen to fit in with the upper crust there.
Illinois, the only state when governors make your license plates lol

Old 09-07-2013, 05:01 PM

39 posts, read 44,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Uhh...D.C. would like its moniker back.
You'd be amazed how similar D.C. and Chicago is. You could cut and paste both of them together without noticeable differences including the ghetto violent parts.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:08 PM

39 posts, read 44,179 times
Quote:
The only state where the 80's crack epidemic signaled the height of its economic and social prosperity.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
You'd be amazed how similar D.C. and Chicago is. You could cut and paste both of them together without noticeable differences including the ghetto violent parts.
To somehow imply that D.C. isn't the de facto capital of sleazy quid-pro-quo cronyism is ridiculous.

Quote:
Yes, apparently in Florida, despite your illegal activities, they'll elect you as governor and let you stay in the position.

Rick Scott - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-07-2013, 05:17 PM

This thread is clearly continuing along its downward spiral from its initial inception as a skyline comparison.

NYC is certainly the larger, more dynamic, more culturally and more economically important city. It has its great aspects, and it has its negative aspects. It is way too big, in my opinion, and not the city for me. If I lived in the Northeast again, I'd much rather live in Boston. You can find a great life in either Chicago or NYC, and I think they are two of the greatest cities that the U.S. has to offer.

However, the sheer amount of blind boosterism from each side of the argument is just ludicrous, including several hypocritical and/or bigoted replies that have consumed a large amount of this thread. And the people who leak out of the woodwork who have either 1) never lived in one of the cities or 2) spent considerable amounts of time outside of their own little bubble in either city aren't what I'd call credible or informed posters (and their reputation clearly indicates so). I'm not sure this thread is worth the internet space it occupies...

Last edited by Maintainschaos; 09-07-2013 at 05:26 PM..

Old 09-07-2013, 07:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,980 posts, read 41,818,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
However, the sheer amount of blind boosterism from each side of the argument is just ludicrous, including several hypocritical and/or bigoted replies that have consumed a large amount of this thread. And the people who leak out of the woodwork who have either 1) never lived in one of the cities or 2) spent considerable amounts of time outside of their own little bubble in either city aren't what I'd call credible or informed posters (and their reputation clearly indicates so). I'm not sure this thread is worth the internet space it occupies...
There's been plenty of non-blind boosterism. I've tried to add interesting facts and comparisons.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:20 PM

151 posts, read 125,609 times
Can we please close this thread?! Between flotard, paradoxical and midwest1 's stupidity this thread is not worth even having open anymore. It's literally a bunch of 12 year old boys arguing now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or