U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 02:26 PM

399 posts, read 769,493 times

Advertisements

Its interesting what states and cities have certain identities.

NYC and Chicago are all about the city, but places like Jersey, Texas and California are all about the state, despite it being just as diverse within them as the former two (granted Chicagoland has nearly 80% of the population of IL)

Whether youre from El Paso or Houston, "youre a Texan!" but if youre from Buffalo or the Bronx, its not the same.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:13 PM

14,792 posts, read 18,937,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
But its funny because I never hear how beautiful New Jersey is. I heard great things about almost every other US State but as soon as NJ is brought up its negative. I watch the reality show Real Housewives of NJ ( i know I know, I can't help it ) and they most certainly don't live in a dump. I am not sure why this particular state has such reputation for being...ugly.
That doesn't mean there aren't beautiful places there. Think of almost any city and metro area in the US, and then think about a common stereotype for it. I bet over 50% of those stereotypes are not 100% true. So for example, in Chicago the stereotype is that the city is dangerous and yadda yadda, but as both of us are residents of Chicago, we know that there are many, many safe parts of Chicago. Same thing here. It's just a common stereotype that people say and aren't necessarily familiar with with parts of northern Jersey that everywhere is just a dump.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:41 PM

4,227 posts, read 5,439,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
Its interesting what states and cities have certain identities.

NYC and Chicago are all about the city, but places like Jersey, Texas and California are all about the state, despite it being just as diverse within them as the former two (granted Chicagoland has nearly 80% of the population of IL)

Whether youre from El Paso or Houston, "youre a Texan!" but if youre from Buffalo or the Bronx, its not the same.
Chicagoland only has about 67% (2/3rds) the population of Illinois, but clearly the dominance of Chicago and NYC over their respective states commands a more unique identity with respect to their home states.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:43 PM

414 posts, read 450,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
But its funny because I never hear how beautiful New Jersey is. I heard great things about almost every other US State but as soon as NJ is brought up its negative. I watch the reality show Real Housewives of NJ ( i know I know, I can't help it ) and they most certainly don't live in a dump. I am not sure why this particular state has such reputation for being...ugly.
well, it depends
i heard bout south side chicago and gary and some other areas of chicago metro that are not the prettiest, doesnt mean the whole area is ugly

Old 09-08-2013, 04:51 PM

399 posts, read 769,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
well, it depends
i heard bout south side chicago and gary and some other areas of chicago metro that are not the prettiest, doesnt mean the whole area is ugly

NYC is surrounded by cesspools but of course, that wont take away from Manhattan, so I agree. Chicago can be looked at no differently.

I love both cities, but im gonna admit that the best parts are Manhattan. Brooklyn, Loop/Near North Side and Northside.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:53 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,973 posts, read 41,780,621 times
I'd still argue that the outer boroughs are more interesting, and more lively than most of the outer parts of Chicago excluding the North Side.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:59 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,499,367 times
I would go even further... Brooklyn is just as lively and interesting as the northside and west side neighborhoods, as well as denser, not excluding it. The only thing really missing in that equation is the near northside/loop area. But Brooklyn doesn't need that, as there is Manhattan for that.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Remember the "hip" parts of Brooklyn are probably one-third of the borough. Most of it is rather working-class, sections rather ghetto, including perhaps the most dangerous neighborhoods of the city.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:04 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,499,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Remember the "hip" parts of Brooklyn are probably one-third of the borough. Most of it is rather working-class, sections rather ghetto, including perhaps the most dangerous neighborhoods of the city.
well, if that's the case, that's 900,000 people, could definitely match up with the hip neighborhoods of chicago. there is less land and less neighborhoods, but more people in them.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
well, if that's the case, that's 900,000 people, could definitely match up with the hip neighborhoods of chicago. there is less land and less neighborhoods, but more people in them.
Or each neighborhood is smaller.

What I meant was the non-hip, non-yuppie neighborhoods of NYC I'd consider more interesting than similar neighborhoods of Chicago, due to higher density* (leading to more street life), and greater diversity. The non-hip, non-yuppie neighborhoods are the majority of both cities.

*It seems like most of the dense neighborhoods of Chicago are contained with the well off parts of the North Side. NYC has a bit less of a pattern outside of Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or