U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 10:43 PM

399 posts, read 771,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
How are they Upstate NY?!

Whats the difference?

Old 09-08-2013, 10:54 PM

12,652 posts, read 10,497,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
Who said I was only talking about visual aesthetic?

Btw, these pictures are basically Upstate NY, but without the high cost and proximity to Newark, or the Bronx, or Staten Island, or Long Island.

North Jersey is mostly concrete wasteland, with nice suburbs and towns mixed in. Mostly the former.
No, it's not. Most of northern NJ is actually suburbs similar to the pictures I posted. NJ has few cities (Northern most prominent ones are Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, Elizabeth… that's basically it) with hundreds of suburban towns in between and around them. 'Leafy suburbs' may be such a cliche but it is so true for northern NJ, especially the further west you go within the northern region.

I find it hard to believe you've travelled past Newark and Elizabeth with your claims about what NJ looks like. Or that you've gotten off highways on your way. You're just wrong. You're talking about a very small part of the state, around Hudson and eastern Essex Counties (aka Newark). Hudson is probably one of the most urban areas of the country outside the major cities, but it's not a "wasteland". I find a lot of Hudson County to be very beautiful, especially along the water, and it's thriving - quite the opposite of a wasteland. Everything else is not at all what you're describing in the large majority of areas.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:58 PM

12,247 posts, read 17,993,111 times
Jerseygirl, from your pictures your state looks very nice. I'm glad I was wrong.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 09-08-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Jerseygirl, from your pictures your state looks very nice. I'm glad I was wrong.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
Thank you

Some of those pictures (only 3 I believe, including the beach one) were from New York.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
No, it's not. Most of northern NJ is actually suburbs similar to the pictures I posted. NJ has few cities (Northern most prominent ones are Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, Elizabeth… that's basically it) with hundreds of suburban towns in between and around them. 'Leafy suburbs' may be such a cliche but it is so true for northern NJ, especially the further west you go within the northern region.

I find it hard to believe you've travelled past Newark and Elizabeth with your claims about what NJ looks like. Or that you've gotten off highways on your way. You're just wrong. You're talking about a very small part of the state, around Hudson and eastern Essex Counties (aka Newark). Hudson is probably one of the most urban areas of the country outside the major cities, but it's not a "wasteland". I find a lot of Hudson County to be very beautiful, especially along the water, and it's thriving - quite the opposite of a wasteland. Everything else is not at all what you're describing in the large majority of areas.

Ive lived in Newark and Elizabeth. Theyre cesspools. Paterson? You ****ing serious? Jersey City can be pretty rough but along the waterfront its fine.

Northwest Jersey is the best part absolutely hands down. The drive in from the Poconos is the best. Otherwise its just a collection of industrial cities and towns interconnected between **** and quaint village.

You find it hard to believe? I went to Kean. I have friends from all over North Jersey (Orange, East Orange, Hillside, Irvington, Union, Morris, Clifton, Bayonne, Rahway, Linden, Little Ferry, Westfield, Springfield, Bloomington, Hackensack, etc etc, (as well as Central and wayyyy South in Philly sports territory). I usually take 287 when coming from Upstate to drive literally around the wasteland. Central is much better than North Jersey. Sorry babe.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Ive lived in Newark and Elizabeth. Theyre cesspools. Paterson? You ****ing serious? Jersey City can be pretty rough but along the waterfront its fine.

Northwest Jersey is the best part absolutely hands down. The drive in from the Poconos is the best. Otherwise its just a collection of industrial cities and towns interconnected between **** and quaint village.

You find it hard to believe? I went to Kean. I have friends from all over North Jersey (Orange, East Orange, Hillside, Irvington, Union, Morris, Clifton, Bayonne, Rahway, Linden, Little Ferry, Westfield, Springfield, Bloomington, Hackensack, etc etc, (as well as Central and wayyyy South in Philly sports territory). I usually take 287 when coming from Upstate to drive literally around the wasteland. Central is much better than North Jersey. Sorry babe.
I wasn't claiming those cities were nice, if you'd read. What I said was, the beautiful suburbs FAR outweigh our few cities, even smaller ones like Irvington.

Don't call me babe, especially if you're going to be condescending thinking you know my state better than I do.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:

I wasn't claiming those cities were nice, if you'd read. What I said was, the beautiful suburbs FAR outweigh our few cities, even smaller ones like Irvington.

Don't call me babe, especially if you're going to be condescending thinking you know my state better than I do.

Wasteland my a**.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:12 PM

Not sure why that posted twice… oh well.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

Ive also lived in Plainfield (not South) and Somerset, just two years ago.

Oh yeah? You can have it.

The **** parts of Central and South arent as pervasive as North (albeit theres Trenton and Camden), but the South is much more quaint, in a different way than more quiet parts of the North. Like I said, Morris, Sussex and Warren counties are great.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:14 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
Meh. From what I could tell Central Jersey was relatively bland. Most of North Jersey's population is outside of Newark, Irvington, Patterson and Elizabeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or