U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-08-2013, 11:16 PM
 
12,683 posts, read 10,505,128 times
Reputation: 17573

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Meh. From what I could tell Central Jersey was relatively bland. Most of North Jersey's population is outside of Newark, Irvington, Patterson and Elizabeth.
Believe me, nei, this guy has no idea what he's talking about. Still can't figure out if he's trolling or just really hates big urban areas. Perhaps both.

I also think Central Jersey is rather bland outside of the shore. You can instantly tell when you've left North Jersey and entered Central, it feels and looks completely different. More than most, by the way. Newark, the biggest city, doesn't even break 300,000. People don't really live in NJ's cities, the majority live in the northern suburbs, most of which are working class to very wealthy, the average falling in the middle to upper middle.

It's fine that people prefer less congested urban areas, and like a more natural setting, but let's not make things up. NJ is far from a wasteland, even its biggest cities.

 
Old 09-08-2013, 11:19 PM
 
399 posts, read 771,445 times
Reputation: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Believe me, nei, this guy has no idea what he's talking about. Still can't figure out if he's trolling or just really hates big urban areas. Perhaps both.

It's fine that people prefer less congested urban areas, and like a more natural setting, but let's not make things up. NJ is far from a wasteland, even its biggest cities.

I love big cities. Ill repeat myself since apparently you need it.

The only good parts I take from NYC are Manhattan and Brooklyn and certain parts of Queens. Only parts of Chicago would be downtown and the Northside.

California cities like SF and SD im not going to explain, and LA is more of a mixed bag as well. Seattle puts anything in Jersey to shame.

I love Philly, but its a lot like Newark in ways, visually. Its certain sections that I like like Old City and Rittenhouse, etc.
 
Old 09-08-2013, 11:40 PM
 
Location: Broward County Florida
555 posts, read 487,925 times
Reputation: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Meh. From what I could tell Central Jersey was relatively bland. Most of North Jersey's population is outside of Newark, Irvington, Patterson and Elizabeth.
I agree. Trenton's nothing to look at. North jersey, withe palisades, alpine, edge water ant then Morris county is very nice.
 
Old 09-09-2013, 06:58 AM
 
517 posts, read 561,277 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
I love big cities. Ill repeat myself since apparently you need it.

The only good parts I take from NYC are Manhattan and Brooklyn and certain parts of Queens. Only parts of Chicago would be downtown and the Northside.

California cities like SF and SD im not going to explain, and LA is more of a mixed bag as well. Seattle puts anything in Jersey to shame.

I love Philly, but its a lot like Newark in ways, visually. Its certain sections that I like like Old City and Rittenhouse, etc.
I would say, speaking generally, you have no idea what you're talking about.

NJ, BTW, while not my favorite state, is among the two or three richest, best educated states, and, excepting NYC, has some of the best urbanity in the nation. It has some of the best cities and suburbs anywhere in the U.S. (yes Camden is horrible and there are a few others).

But, on the whole, you can hardly do better than NJ in the U.S. Check out the whole Hudson River coastline (pretty much all the towns), as well as Morristown, Summit, Teaneck, Englewood, Ridgewood, Madison, Westfield, Milburn, Maplewood, South Orange, Montclair, Glen Ridge, and many others.
 
Old 09-09-2013, 07:12 AM
 
517 posts, read 561,277 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
well, i live not far from newark and except for the south orange reservation, i have to strongly disagree
The suburbs around Newark are some of the nicest and most expensive in the country.

What is it with these Jersey stereotypes? I have no affiliation with the state, but I don't get it.

People seriously think that Short Hills and the like are dumps? NJ is richer than almost anywhere in the country. It's mostly affluent suburbia, and, for U.S. standards, is quite dense, transit-oriented and often walkable. Crime is low, education and health are high, and quality of life is high. It's hilly, green, and often scenic.

Yes, there are a few ghetto towns and basically one ugly industrialized stretch along the turnpike. Overall, though, it's one of the best states, especially North Jersey.
 
Old 09-09-2013, 08:02 AM
 
Location: Broward County Florida
555 posts, read 487,925 times
Reputation: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
The suburbs around Newark are some of the nicest and most expensive in the country.

What is it with these Jersey stereotypes? I have no affiliation with the state, but I don't get it.

People seriously think that Short Hills and the like are dumps? NJ is richer than almost anywhere in the country. It's mostly affluent suburbia, and, for U.S. standards, is quite dense, transit-oriented and often walkable. Crime is low, education and health are high, and quality of life is high. It's hilly, green, and often scenic.

Yes, there are a few ghetto towns and basically one ugly industrialized stretch along the turnpike. Overall, though, it's one of the best states, especially North Jersey.
Aren't New Jersey and Connecticut the richest states in the nation? Isn't princeton located in nj and yale in connecticut? Isn't north jersey filled with big pharma and other high tech industries?

What's with those jersey stereotypes especially from folks living in much less fortunate states???

Last edited by flotard; 09-09-2013 at 08:14 AM..
 
Old 09-09-2013, 08:16 AM
 
517 posts, read 561,277 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
Aren't New Jersey and Connecticut the richest states in the nation? Isn't princeton located in nj and yale in connecticut? Isn't north jersey filled with big pharma and other high tech industries?

What's with those jersey stereotypes especially from folks living in much less fortunate states???
Yes, CT and NJ are the two richest states by most measures (Maryland is up there too on some metrics, so you could say there are three richest states).

This is why I don't get the hate for NJ. Yes, there are crap areas (like in any other urbanized state), but NJ is one of the richest places on the planet overall. It's mostly middle and upper class suburbia of NYC.
 
Old 09-09-2013, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Broward County Florida
555 posts, read 487,925 times
Reputation: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
Yes, CT and NJ are the two richest states by most measures (Maryland is up there too on some metrics, so you could say there are three richest states).

This is why I don't get the hate for NJ. Yes, there are crap areas (like in any other urbanized state), but NJ is one of the richest places on the planet overall. It's mostly middle and upper class suburbia of NYC.

I happen to know most of jersey (its a small state) and while I can't forgive it the abandonment of its best cities (Newark and Jersey City were once thriving cities) I have to admit it is my favorite (besides NYS and Florida, of course
From Hohocus, Alpine, through Egdewater, Hoboken, jersey Shore and then Cape May its pretty impressive living. The west with morristown and bridgewater extremely affluent and clean and the western part with Andover and Del Water Gap pretty scenic. Not bad for such a small state. As far as stereotypes go, part of it is probably jealousy, part history as jersey used to be a garden state (rural) at some point. NJ, especially its north part has tremendously changed in the past 20 years. For better.
 
Old 09-09-2013, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Maryland
4,261 posts, read 5,480,306 times
Reputation: 4594
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
So you think that pointing out negative stats about Illinois is hate and refuting absurd claims about NJ must be love for the state, right? And since when is supporting your arguments with stats ignorant? Lol I am not surprised you didn't make it in New York lol
Making absurd claims on the one hand and then pretending to defend absurd on the other hand is neither hate nor love--it's hypocrisy.
 
Old 09-09-2013, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Broward County Florida
555 posts, read 487,925 times
Reputation: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Making absurd claims on the one hand and then pretending to defend absurd on the other hand is neither hate nor love--it's hypocrisy.
I think I lost you. When did I make or defend absurd claims? Be specific.
Just so were clear, I have neither love or hate for Illinois, which I visited, among many other states, many times. I can't stand however Chicago posters who make silly claims based on inaccurate, often made up, data. City vs. city is filled with threads either trying to compare or defend Chicago and i always see the same silly arguments supported by outdated or false data.
For instance Chicago vs. New York: well NYC is considered one of the top three world cities and its three times bigger and many times more prominent than Chicago on top of that still growing and extremely successful, which you cant say about Chicago. What are we trying to compare here?

Last edited by flotard; 09-09-2013 at 08:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top