U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-05-2008, 01:02 PM
 
756 posts, read 1,570,948 times
Reputation: 274

Advertisements

As a neutral party not from either city, I think NYC as a city and skyline overall overwhelms Chicago. NYC is the endall for American cities. With all of the bashing Chicagoans have been doing to Houston and LA, they should be more concerned with being caught up and passed rather than competition with NYC.

NYC is in a league of its own, period.
NYC and London, now that's a competition to be had.

 
Old 12-05-2008, 01:23 PM
 
Location: USA
12,648 posts, read 8,691,485 times
Reputation: 4099
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
As a neutral party not from either city, I think NYC as a city and skyline overall overwhelms Chicago. NYC is the endall for American cities. With all of the bashing Chicagoans have been doing to Houston and LA, they should be more concerned with being caught up and passed rather than competition with NYC.

NYC is in a league of its own, period.
NYC and London, now that's a competition to be had.
London's skyline???

Read the post.
 
Old 12-05-2008, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Back home in Kaguawagpjpa.
1,991 posts, read 6,479,084 times
Reputation: 1043
London is nice. ^^^

NYC vs. Chicago-london-skyline_-england.jpg NYC vs. Chicago-p378441-london-london_skyline.jpg

It just isn't as big as NYC or Chicago.
 
Old 12-05-2008, 07:51 PM
 
367 posts, read 1,101,466 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I'm guessing you're talking about "cities" in general (not skylines). If you are talking about the cities themselves-- Chicago vs. NYC, then yes, NYC is pretty tough to compare to. But, there seems to be a lot of vehemence in trying to put Chicago in its place. i can only guess where that comes from.

If you're talking skylines, you're dead wrong. Chicago is easily, at worst, NYC's equal. Per capita, Chicago offers better quality and more architectural significance (I'll repeat-- per capita) and for many, better aesthetics as a whole. On sheer mass, NYC wins (and it does have incredible quality as well). Read a modern architecure book for some insight and while you're at it, drop the condescending NYC holier than thou tone. Perhaps Chicagoans wouldn't feel the need to compare themselves if there was a little more respect for something they rightly hold dear. This thread was about skylines and has since devolved off a cliff. I'm only adding to it so shame on me.
I always thought it was funny when someone tries to compare their city to NYC, but it's an absolute standup comedy to say that Chicago's skyline equals NYC!

I don't care how some mom and pop magazine or web site ranks skylines. Those articles are written by some journalist or based on some poll that was taken by an uninformed and unfamiliar audience.

NYCís skyline is huge and spread out, it puts Chicago to shame. I keep hearing you say per capita. If youíre referring to per capita, then what about SF, what about Houston, what about Seattle, what about Atlanta, what about Philly, what about Dallas, even Pittsburg, and so on and so forth.

I donít mean to take anything away from Chicago. Chicagoís skyline with a great lake right behind it is no competition to the cities that I just mentioned (other than NYC). But you canít use per capita as an excuse to equal NYCís skyline.

Okay, even if per capita it equals NYCís skyline, the truth of the matter is Chicagoís Midwestern downtown aint no NYC. Not even close!

Getting away from skylines, does Chicago have an equivalent to Time Square? Or the hundred of other places that stand out? What about the boroughs of NYC. Does Chicago have anything similar? Just the city population of NYC is about the same size of the entire metro population of Chicago. Not to mention that Chicago is spread out like crazy. The sprawl can rival LA.

Look, my hometown is SF, and Iím now in DC. I would never claim that either DC or SF comes even close to NYC. Even if you quadruple DC and SF, it still aint no NYC! So just accept the facts and move on.
 
Old 12-05-2008, 09:34 PM
 
Location: USA
12,648 posts, read 8,691,485 times
Reputation: 4099
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalnet View Post
I always thought it was funny when someone tries to compare their city to NYC, but it's an absolute standup comedy to say that Chicago's skyline equals NYC!

I don't care how some mom and pop magazine or web site ranks skylines. Those articles are written by some journalist or based on some poll that was taken by an uninformed and unfamiliar audience.

NYCís skyline is huge and spread out, it puts Chicago to shame. I keep hearing you say per capita. If youíre referring to per capita, then what about SF, what about Houston, what about Seattle, what about Atlanta, what about Philly, what about Dallas, even Pittsburg, and so on and so forth.

I donít mean to take anything away from Chicago. Chicagoís skyline with a great lake right behind it is no competition to the cities that I just mentioned (other than NYC). But you canít use per capita as an excuse to equal NYCís skyline.

Okay, even if per capita it equals NYCís skyline, the truth of the matter is Chicagoís Midwestern downtown aint no NYC. Not even close!

Getting away from skylines, does Chicago have an equivalent to Time Square? Or the hundred of other places that stand out? What about the boroughs of NYC. Does Chicago have anything similar? Just the city population of NYC is about the same size of the entire metro population of Chicago. Not to mention that Chicago is spread out like crazy. The sprawl can rival LA.

Look, my hometown is SF, and Iím now in DC. I would never claim that either DC or SF comes even close to NYC. Even if you quadruple DC and SF, it still aint no NYC! So just accept the facts and move on.
Your right, Chicago's skyline could never rival NYC's...

It doesn't have the 2nd tallest skyscraper in the world, or wasn't the birthplace of the modern skyscraper. It doesn't change drastically depending on what agle you view it from. It doesn't have a river running through it. It doesn't change moods due to the reflections of the lake. It doesn't have beaches...
 
Old 12-05-2008, 09:45 PM
 
367 posts, read 1,101,466 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Your right, Chicago's skyline could never rival NYC's...

It doesn't have the 2nd tallest skyscraper in the world, or wasn't the birthplace of the modern skyscraper. It doesn't change drastically depending on what agle you view it from. It doesn't have a river running through it. It doesn't change moods due to the reflections of the lake. It doesn't have beaches...
It's all good. Don't feel too bad. Nothing compares to NYC. But you do have that deep dish Chicago Pizza that NYC doesn't have.

That deep dish Chicago Pizza does warm you up in that sub zero Chicago weather. I was there just a couple of days ago. Brrrrrrrr!
 
Old 12-05-2008, 10:16 PM
 
Location: San Diego
217 posts, read 192,361 times
Reputation: 37
London is dumb all they have is Big Hen and the London Why(London EYE) no puns intended. their skyline sucks to.
 
Old 12-05-2008, 10:23 PM
 
367 posts, read 1,101,466 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanityRules View Post
London is dumb all they have is Big Hen and the London Why(London EYE) no puns intended. their skyline sucks to.
I know 100% that you've never been to London. London will put the OC and LA to shame! It's even worse than a Chicago to NYC comparison!
 
Old 12-05-2008, 10:38 PM
 
Location: USA
12,648 posts, read 8,691,485 times
Reputation: 4099
There needs to be an age limit on this board.
 
Old 12-05-2008, 11:01 PM
 
367 posts, read 1,101,466 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
There needs to be an age limit on this board.
What's wrong? You can't take the truth more than an hour or so? If so, then there should be an age limit on posts. Posts are not valid no longer than an hour. Then you won't feel bad no longer than an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top