U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-10-2013, 12:35 PM
 
517 posts, read 561,063 times
Reputation: 229

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
lol are u christies spokesperson or someth
either that or ur smokin someth cuz that sentence alone destroy all your cred, many things are arguable, and as many good things nj has, abundance of ghettos in North Jers is non debateable, to say NJ is a place with the fewest ghettos when its prolly a place with the most means ur either a troll or seriously ignorant, try telling that to a nj resident, ull get laughed at
Argue with the Census Bureau. The Census reports that NJ has low poverty, low crime, low housing vacancy relative to national averages.

Why don't you use your "street cred" against their hundreds of PhDs, LOL. I'm sure it will be a fair fight!

 
Old 09-10-2013, 12:35 PM
 
Location: NJ
414 posts, read 451,407 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
No, you don't know what you're talking about. Have you ever been to NJ? I mean, really?

Generally speaking, the most expensive parts of NJ are the closest to Manhattan and the least expensive parts of NJ are the furthest from Manhattan.

The richest city in NJ is Alpine, directly across the Hudson from Manhattan. It also has the highest home prices. Nearby parts of Englewood Cliffs, Tenefly, and parts of Englewood are about as expensive.

The highest priced suburban-style communities are mostly in Bergen and Essex Counties (the closest suburban counties to Manhattan) and the highest priced urban communities in Jersey are in Hudson County (the closest urban county to Manhattan).

Prices are basically influenced by proximity to Manhattan and access to rail. That's why close-in, rail-oriented communities like Ridgewood or Millburn or Montclair are extremely expensive, while far-out suburbs with no rail are ususally cheaper.
do u see where i live?
alpine and englewood cliffs is not where most people live, millburn and montclair are not directly across manhattan like u claimed, they are even passed newark
 
Old 09-10-2013, 12:37 PM
 
517 posts, read 561,063 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
do u see where i live?
alpine and englewood cliffs is not where most people live, millburn and montclair are not directly across manhattan like u claimed, they are even passed newark
What the hell are you talking about?

Alpine and Englewood Cliffs are the richest towns in NJ. Obviously "most people" don't live in two small towns.

Millburn and Montclair are super-close to Manhattan. What does it matter if they're "past Newark"? What does that even mean? The reason those cities are so expensive is because they're on rail lines and close to Manhattan.
 
Old 09-10-2013, 12:37 PM
 
399 posts, read 771,198 times
Reputation: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
North Jersey is much wealthier than Jersey as a whole.

So if your argument is that North Jersey, the wealthiest part of one of the wealthiest states, is filled with slums, then it's an even more ridiculous argument. North Jersey is where all the money's at in Jersey.

Speaking very generally, the richest parts of NJ are the closest suburbs to Manhattan, especially where there are transit links.

False.

Theyre actually consistent with what I was saying the best parts were (and my personal favorite areas).





Northwestern and Central Jersey.

Wealthiest 100 counties in US by income (2011 source Wikipedia):

Hunterdon County - 4th
Somerset County - 6th (of which I lived)
Morris County - 14th (of which I lived)
Sussex County - 24th
Monmouth County - 38th



Try. Again.
 
Old 09-10-2013, 12:38 PM
 
Location: NJ
414 posts, read 451,407 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
Argue with the Census Bureau. The Census reports that NJ has low poverty, low crime, low housing vacancy relative to national averages.

Why don't you use your "street cred" against their hundreds of PhDs, LOL. I'm sure it will be a fair fight!
if its such a disneyland, why is it the top state people are fleeing?
New Jersey - In Photos: The Top 10 States People Are Fleeing - Forbes
 
Old 09-10-2013, 12:39 PM
 
399 posts, read 771,198 times
Reputation: 254
PCH, will you just go stand somewhere?
 
Old 09-10-2013, 12:44 PM
 
399 posts, read 771,198 times
Reputation: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
if its such a disneyland, why is it the top state people are fleeing?
New Jersey - In Photos: The Top 10 States People Are Fleeing - Forbes

He is obsessed with wealth. He would do great in DC.


Most of the wealthiest places in NJ are outside the concrete mess of the immediate NYC metro area. I doubt hes ever driven from the Poconos or Buck County into Jersey, which I have done a million times.

Im on record in this thread saying the best parts are NW Jersey and Central. South is much more rural in comparison.

I still stand by my comment on how I can do without North Jersey, since the wealthiest areas dont outweigh the ****tiest, which is quite large.
 
Old 09-10-2013, 12:45 PM
 
517 posts, read 561,063 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
False.

Theyre actually consistent with what I was saying the best parts were (and my personal favorite areas).
No, you're wrong (as usual). North Jersey has the highest income, by far. The richest cities are all in North Jersey.

You are looking at household income, and by county, and looking at medians, which is all stupid, because Central Jersey is mostly uniform bedroom suburbs, while North Jersey is more urban and diverse. Obviously the medians will be high in Central Jersey.

So Central Jersey is all traditional families living in typical suburbs, while North Jersey will have more singles, retirees, etc.

It would be like saying Queens or Staten Island is richer than Manhattan. Using your methodology, it would be true, because you are comparing medians. But everyone knows that Manhattan has the greatest concentration of wealth in the U.S. (probably the world).

Another example would be the Hamptons. Using your methodology, the Hamptons are poor, and some sprawly suburb of 200k homes in Kansas is rich, because the median income will be higher. The Hamptons will have far more income diversity, and therefore a lower median (ie one millionaire and two live-in staff in East Hampton will have lower median income than Joe Sixpack in Kansas).
 
Old 09-10-2013, 12:46 PM
 
517 posts, read 561,063 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
if its such a disneyland, why is it the top state people are fleeing?
New Jersey - In Photos: The Top 10 States People Are Fleeing - Forbes
Probably exactly because it is so wealthy.

The richest states tend to have the largest domestic outflow (NJ, CT, NY, CA, MD, MA, etc.).

In contrast, the poorest states tend to have the largest domestic inflow.

The richest states also get the most immigrants, and they force out the domestic poor in those rich states, because they can't compete with the striving newcomers.
 
Old 09-10-2013, 12:46 PM
 
Location: NJ
414 posts, read 451,407 times
Reputation: 128
Top 10 wealthiest towns in New Jersey: North Jersey dominates latest list | NJ.com
how many of these are directly across manhattan, since thats where the best suburbs are accordin to u? lemm help u, only 2...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top