Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 06:40 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
What NYC does have, exclusively above every other area in this country, is that acceptance and apathy granted only by the extreme population crush of often radically difference philosophies/religions/lifestyles. It also has extreme parochialism in an area that doesn't deserve it. It manifests as cringing displays of public ignorance in The New Yorker, when editorial staff try to dimly understand other areas of the nation.
And I understand everyone in the city is forced to read New Yorker or socialize with its editorial staff? C'mon. It's a free country. You are talking parochailism pay attention to Chicago press productions, both Sun-Times and Chicago Tribune. You want apathy? Come to Chicago. The city where people believe they do not deserve not-corrupt governmentand do not need term limits for its elected officials.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:35 PM

156 posts, read 378,086 times
I choose LA. Ah ha ha.

C'mon guys, move on to other topics.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttlefish View Post
I choose LA. Ah ha ha.

C'mon guys, move on to other topics.
Right. I heard Baton Rouge looks great this time of the year...

Old 03-02-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
They just want to be given their due as to Chicago's achievements and contributions to all things urban and cultural-- which like it or not-- are undeniable and aplenty. .
BigLake, to make this discussion vaulable you have to start supporting your claims with some evidence or examples. You have to understand that what is undeniable for you for someone else is simply not. For starters, rework your statement to include some examples of Chicago's contributions. We all know the first skyskraper was there but tall buildings are not what defines the city, if it was the case we would all bow to Dubai. So, what exactly are Chicagos contributions to "all things urban and cultural"?

Old 03-02-2009, 01:18 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
And I understand everyone in the city is forced to read New Yorker or socialize with its editorial staff? C'mon. It's a free country. You are talking parochailism pay attention to Chicago press productions, both Sun-Times and Chicago Tribune. You want apathy? Come to Chicago. The city where people believe they do not deserve not-corrupt governmentand do not need term limits for its elected officials.
What!?!? I thought you loved Chicago!!!

Old 03-02-2009, 02:34 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times
Quote:
BigLake, to make this discussion vaulable you have to start supporting your claims with some evidence or examples. You have to understand that what is undeniable for you for someone else is simply not. For starters, rework your statement to include some examples of Chicago's contributions. We all know the first skyskraper was there but tall buildings are not what defines the city, if it was the case we would all bow to Dubai. So, what exactly are Chicagos contributions to "all things urban and cultural"?
dementor-- Do not tell me what I need to do or do not need to do. We have all given you facts but you continue to ignorantly deny and/or skew and/or ignore them based on your own personal needs. I'm not going to be your shill to overcome your bias against Chicago. Not interested in wasting my time anymore.

Here's a clue for you. Try Google. Search on world's greatest architecture, world's great museum cities, etc., etc., Hell, even look up Chicago on wikipedia and read what it says there.

http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/
and here,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago

Quit harassing people and try making yourself presentable and accountable. I think you have some serious social problems and issues dealing with humans. Until you get that cleared, do not address me again.

Last edited by BigLake; 03-02-2009 at 02:46 PM..

Old 03-02-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
dementor-- Do not tell me what I need to do or do not need to do.

Someone has to teach you how and other Chicagons to argue in a civilized, non-Midwestern way: support your claim with evidence. Not a link to a website but instead post some evidence, data.
Do not start your opinions with "everybody knows", "undoubtebly" or "obviously". Again, what is obvious for you may not be obvious for someone else.
You want to talk about being presentable and accountable when all you can do is to post inflated claims and mistake wishful thinking for reality. Get a life!

Old 03-02-2009, 03:17 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,021,230 times
Quote:
dementor-- Do not tell me what I need to do or do not need to do. We have all given you facts but you continue to ignorantly deny and/or skew and/or ignore them based on your own personal needs. I'm not going to be your shill to overcome your bias against Chicago. Not interested in wasting my time anymore.

Here's a clue for you. Try Google. Search on world's greatest architecture, world's great museum cities, etc., etc., Hell, even look up Chicago on wikipedia and read what it says there.

Encyclopedia of Chicago
and here,
Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quit harassing people and try making yourself presentable and accountable. I think you have some serious social problems and issues dealing with humans. Until you get that cleared, do not address me again.
Oh lets compare and contrast both just by their intro on wikipedia

Quote:
Chicago ([SIZE=2]IPA: /ʃɪˈkɑːgoʊ/ or /ʃɪˈkɔːgoʊ/) is the largest [/SIZE]city in the U.S. state of Illinois and the Midwestern United States, as well as the third-most populous city in the United States with more than 2.8 million residents. Adjacent to Lake Michigan, the Chicago metropolitan area (commonly referred to as Chicagoland) has a population of more than 9.5 million people[1] in three U.S. states, Illinois, Wisconsin and Indiana, and was the third largest U.S. metropolitan area in 2000.[2] One of the largest cities in North America, Chicago is among the world's twenty-five largest urban areas by population, and rated an alpha world city by the World Cities Study Group at Loughborough University.[3]
Chicago incorporated as a city in 1837 after being founded in 1833 near a portage between the Great Lakes and the Mississippi River watershed. The city soon became a major transportation hub in North America and the transportation, financial and industrial center of the Midwest. Today the city's attractions bring 44.2 million visitors annually.[4] O'Hare International is the second busiest airport in the world. The city has a notable and famous political culture,[citation needed] is a stronghold of the Democratic Party, and has been home to numerous influential politicians, including the first African-American President of the United States, Barack Obama. Chicago has also been chosen as one of the final 4 candidates to host the 2016 Summer Olympics, and the only American city still in the running.
Chicago is often called the "Windy City", "Chi-Town", "Second City," and the "City of Broad Shoulders".

New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
The City of New York (commonly referred to as New York City) is the most populous city in the United States, while the New York metropolitan area ranks among the world's most populous urban areas. It is a leading global city, exerting a powerful influence over worldwide commerce, finance, culture, and entertainment. The city is also an important center for international affairs, hosting the United Nations headquarters.
Located on the Atlantic coast of the Northeastern United States, the city consists of five boroughs: The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island. It is the most densely populated major city in the United States, with an estimated 8,274,527 people[1] occupying just under 305 square miles (790 km2).[2][3][4][5] The New York metropolitan area's population is also the nation's highest, estimated at 18,815,988 people over 6,720 square miles (17,400 km2).[6]
New York is unique among American cities for its high use of and 24-hour availability of mass transit, and for the overall density and diversity of its population. In 2005, nearly 170 languages were spoken in the city and 36% of its population was born outside the United States.[7][8] The city is sometimes referred to as "The City that Never Sleeps", while other nicknames include Gotham[9] and the Big Apple.[10]
New York was founded as a commercial trading post by the Dutch East India Company in 1624. The settlement was called New Amsterdam until 1664 when the colony came under British control.[11] New York served as the capital of the United States from 1785 until 1790,[12] and has been the nation's largest city since 1790.[13]
Today, the city has many landmarks and neighborhoods that are world famous. The Statue of Liberty greeted millions of immigrants as they came to America in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Wall Street, in Lower Manhattan, has been a dominant global financial center since World War II and is home to the New York Stock Exchange. The city has been home to several of the tallest buildings in the world, including the Empire State Building and the twin towers of the former World Trade Center.
New York is the birthplace of many cultural movements, including the Harlem Renaissance in literature and visual art, abstract expressionism (also known as the New York School) in painting, and hip hop,[14] punk,[15] salsa, disco and Tin Pan Alley in music. It is the home of Broadway theater.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:26 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,419 times
Quote:
someone has to teach you how and other chicagons to argue in a civilized, non-midwestern way
lmfao

Old 03-02-2009, 03:27 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Oh lets compare and contrast both just by their intro on wikipedia

New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What is it with you people? Can you find nothing better to do than fight and antagonize? I would guess that if many other New Yorkers knew the way you acted they'd be pretty embarrassed at the level of insecurity you have exhibited in your bashing of Chicago. It's really astonishing.

What the hell does it matter to you if Chicago is viewed as a great city. Are you that small and insecure that you see it as an afront? Go back and read the entire thread. You will see that Chicagoans are simply defending what's theres.

I've already extracted myself from this thread.

Last edited by BigLake; 03-02-2009 at 03:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City