U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-04-2009, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Chicago - mudhole in the prairie...
1,624 posts, read 2,835,073 times
Reputation: 250

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
If fashion is something that you pride yourself on...well then...so be it.

The rest of the country (reality) has bigger things to deal with.

We all know that Chicago you has bigger things to deal with. Like.... Wait a second.
What is that bigger thing that Chicago is dealing with right now? What so exciting is acctually happeninig in Chicago?
What would draw world's attention to this city?

PS. Fashion may not be something to be proud of. You either follow or you do not, it's a choice. Having a good taste is however a requirement, a one that Chicago does not satisfy... Clubs jerseys, sneakers, girls in Uggs. Words like class and Chicago does not even sound good in the same sentence. Again, there is good reason why there are no respectable designers in Chicago: there is no market for fashion there. There is no good taste in the cow country.

Last edited by dementor; 03-04-2009 at 07:03 PM..

 
Old 03-04-2009, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Chicago - mudhole in the prairie...
1,624 posts, read 2,835,073 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Oh no! When you're a kid, you want to look good, dammit!
That's a real Chicago style: you can't win with arguments so you are attacking the person by suggesting he is too young to be taken seriously. Thats very mature and adult. Not to mention very intelligent. Chicago way.

Wow, Chicago. Do you still wonder why nobody who is anybody ever choses your city to settle down?

Last edited by dementor; 03-04-2009 at 07:04 PM..
 
Old 03-04-2009, 07:03 PM
 
1,107 posts, read 2,624,515 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
If fashion is something that you pride yourself on...well then...so be it.

The rest of the country (reality) has bigger things to deal with.
I dont realy pride myself on that but people here love fashion no in a fashionista type wy but in a popular way. Like Sean John, Levis, etc.

Shop at places like century 21 Century 21 Department Store or macys in herald square, SoHo, Fifth ave, Madison ave, etc. Anyway you say it like NY only has fashion, when its the capital of finance, culture, media, etc
 
Old 03-04-2009, 07:09 PM
 
Location: Chicago - mudhole in the prairie...
1,624 posts, read 2,835,073 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Shop at places like century 21 Century 21 Department Store or macys in herald square, SoHo, Fifth ave, Madison ave, etc. Anyway you say it like NY only has fashion, when its the capital of finance, culture, media, etc

Chicagoans often used that "holier than thou" argument dismissing not only New York but also LA as in celluloid dream la-la-land. Like there is nothing serious about California while Chicago and Illinois are doing all the hard work for everybody else..

Guess what, New York is the capital of fashion, media and arts and Califronia is the seventh largest economy in the world if separated from the US. What is Chicago and Illinois? A mere number three. Despite all this hard, serious work that's going on over there

Last edited by dementor; 03-04-2009 at 07:29 PM..
 
Old 03-04-2009, 07:23 PM
 
Location: USA
13,266 posts, read 9,990,078 times
Reputation: 4228
I really can't wait to visit Chicago next week. So I can hang out with my friends there. Suprisingly they both love Chicago (and I love NYC) and love to visit here as well. They don't drill me on what I should be wearing. They prefer the underground spots over the flashy NY club scene, and they hate the way transplants ruin the image of NYC.

They're both born and raised New Yorkers and they are some of the coolest, down to earth people I know.

They'll probably laugh at most of the post on this site.
 
Old 03-04-2009, 07:29 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
6,810 posts, read 9,368,651 times
Reputation: 6007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I really can't wait to visit Chicago next week. So I can hang out with my friends there. Suprisingly they both love Chicago (and I love NYC) and love to visit here as well. They don't drill me on what I should be wearing. They prefer the underground spots over the flashy NY club scene, and they hate the way transplants ruin the image of NYC.

They're both born and raised New Yorkers and they are some of the coolest, down to earth people I know.

They'll probably laugh at most of the post on this site.
Rate up.
 
Old 03-04-2009, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Chicago - mudhole in the prairie...
1,624 posts, read 2,835,073 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I really can't wait to visit Chicago next week. So I can hang out with my friends there. Suprisingly they both love Chicago (and I love NYC) and love to visit here as well. They don't drill me on what I should be wearing. They prefer the underground spots over the flashy NY club scene, and they hate the way transplants ruin the image of NYC.

They're both born and raised New Yorkers and they are some of the coolest, down to earth people I know.

They'll probably laugh at most of the post on this site.


Gtownoe,
Do you have any more imaginary friends or just those "friends from New York"? If you really had friends from New York they would never "prefer the underground spots over the flashy NY club scene" as you can find more undergournd clubs in New York that anywhere else. After all, the king of them all, CBGB was hosted in the city.
As far as what yor imaginary friends say about transplants sis fake as well. You see in New York there are no transplants, when 40% of population has been born abroad it is hard to talk about tranpslants. Everyone is welcomed in New York: From Babe Ruth to Mayor Bloomberg outsiders have always been accepted here, provided they follow the rules i.e. no hick style BS and poorly hidden complexes and denial.

Next time instead of inventing more imaginary friends just type what you think of New York club scene and since you never been to the city we would offer you some help finding the right spot.

Last edited by dementor; 03-04-2009 at 08:54 PM..
 
Old 03-04-2009, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Oahu
731 posts, read 1,769,359 times
Reputation: 297
Provincialism at its finest, no matter what dementor (aka "There is no culture in Chicago) tries to paint it:

 
Old 03-04-2009, 09:48 PM
 
Location: USA
13,266 posts, read 9,990,078 times
Reputation: 4228
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Gtownoe,
Do you have any more imaginary friends or just those "friends from New York"? If you really had friends from New York they would never "prefer the underground spots over the flashy NY club scene" as you can find more undergournd clubs in New York that anywhere else. After all, the king of them all, CBGB was hosted in the city.
As far as what yor imaginary friends say about transplants sis fake as well. You see in New York there are no transplants, when 40% of population has been born abroad it is hard to talk about tranpslants. Everyone is welcomed in New York: From Babe Ruth to Mayor Bloomberg outsiders have always been accepted here, provided they follow the rules i.e. no hick style BS and poorly hidden complexes and denial.

Next time instead of inventing more imaginary friends just type what you think of New York club scene and since you never been to the city we would offer you some help finding the right spot.
Didn't you say that you didn't live in NYC?

Besides the point... I don't need imaginary friends. The real ones I have are pretty cool. Yes, they do talk about the transplants who try way too hard to live the New York lifestyle.

See your problem is that your trying too hard. Way too hard. No real New Yorker would claim you. You make the city look bad. New York is way more than tall buildings, fashion, broadway (seriously...how many times does a New Yorker go to Broadway?), or how much the city is on tv.

New York is a great city because of the no-nonsense attitude, the corner pizza joints, the grit, the fast pace, the random nights out, and being able to find a new unkown spot or scene when you get tired of the current one.

Thats what makes New York such a cool city.

I live in Chicago. I could care less that Obama is from here (even though I'm proud of that), that we have the Sears Tower, that we have the Cubs, that we have a 10 story mall, or that we were the birthplace of the skyscraper. Yea, those are cool facts, but they don't affect me.

The reason I love living in Chicago is because every neighborhood has a different vibe and feel. The lakefront is packed all the time when its warm. Yellow lights mean go, and its ok to yell at cabbies or bus drivers at any given point in time. I like how we have a relaxed dress code. The fact that we drink more than any city in the country, and the fact that we have a beach to go to during the summer to drink away our hangovers on.

I actually live in the city I'm talking about. I recognize that Chicago's not for everyone and I'm ok with that. Our winters are cold as hell, we have pot holes, and we get taxed out the ass. But you know what? My random nights wandering around Wrigley, the summer rooftop parties, and the great, genuine friends I've made here far outweigh the bad.

What's your response?
 
Old 03-04-2009, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Oahu
731 posts, read 1,769,359 times
Reputation: 297
He doesn't understand. To him, people are inexorably linked to where they live. I mean, I haven't lived in Chicago for nearly a decade and haven't even visited in like 3 years, but if I say something to him that he doesn't like it's "Chicago Style"- as if people from different places in the US are entirely culturally different.

He lives in his own little world and is entirely and completely parochial. He just assumes the rest of the world is, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top