U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-05-2009, 05:50 AM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,187,189 times
Reputation: 1819

Advertisements

As far as fashion in NYC...those who are super dressed up to do everyday errands are probably transplants. Like someone said, they really try to fit into the stereotype that NYers are always dressed their best. The native NYers, like me and some others I know, just dress casual when we go out. I'd rather be comfortable in clothes when I'm running errands than dressed to impress. That's just something mostly transplants do, or wannabe models or something. I don't dress like a slob, I just throw on something that is decent but comfortable.

 
Old 03-05-2009, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Chicago - mudhole in the prairie...
1,624 posts, read 2,899,825 times
Reputation: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Didn't you say that you didn't live in NYC?

Besides the point... I don't need imaginary friends. The real ones I have are pretty cool. Yes, they do talk about the transplants who try way too hard to live the New York lifestyle.

See your problem is that your trying too hard. Way too hard. No real New Yorker would claim you. You make the city look bad. New York is way more than tall buildings, fashion, broadway (seriously...how many times does a New Yorker go to Broadway?), or how much the city is on tv.

New York is a great city because of the no-nonsense attitude, the corner pizza joints, the grit, the fast pace, the random nights out, and being able to find a new unkown spot or scene when you get tired of the current one.

Thats what makes New York such a cool city.

I live in Chicago. I could care less that Obama is from here (even though I'm proud of that), that we have the Sears Tower, that we have the Cubs, that we have a 10 story mall, or that we were the birthplace of the skyscraper. Yea, those are cool facts, but they don't affect me.

The reason I love living in Chicago is because every neighborhood has a different vibe and feel. The lakefront is packed all the time when its warm. Yellow lights mean go, and its ok to yell at cabbies or bus drivers at any given point in time. I like how we have a relaxed dress code. The fact that we drink more than any city in the country, and the fact that we have a beach to go to during the summer to drink away our hangovers on.

I actually live in the city I'm talking about. I recognize that Chicago's not for everyone and I'm ok with that. Our winters are cold as hell, we have pot holes, and we get taxed out the ass. But you know what? My random nights wandering around Wrigley, the summer rooftop parties, and the great, genuine friends I've made here far outweigh the bad.

What's your response?
Gtownoe. It's hard to respond to nonsence that you post. You guess what "real New Yorker" would approve and what would not (I guess that is supposed to make me look like a non-real New Yorker" is the proof.
Do not make assumptions about New York city what is lifestyle is as there is no single lifestyle in New York. Different people live different lifestyles; some catch Broadway shows as much as they can, some hang around Jones Beach, some enjoy alternative art scene and some hang around sport bars. There is no single New York lifestyle, and there are no REAL and FAKE New Yorkers.

You love Chicago? Good for you, you probably do not know any better, but since this thread is intended to compare those two cities, my posts were aimed at showing you how colorless Chicago is in comparison. "Walking around neighborhoods, rooftop parties, heavy drinking, different feel of neighboorhoods" you can find those "qualities" in almost any city in the country. I bet it can be said about Milwaukee. The fact that you think that being a birthplace of skyscraper, having the worst baseball team in the league or Sears Tower is cool shows how unimaginative and stagnant Chicago really is.

Let's face it. You won't get it. You won't get that your "dress code" is not about being relaxed, it is simply about lack any good taste. You won't get why potholes and rampant corruption reflects badly on the city. You won't get it but most people do and that's why nobody who is anybody in this world settles down in Chicago. For a three million large city you are positively plain, boring and unsinspiring.

Let me close with what Oscar Wild wrote about Chicago over a hundred years ago as it is still valid today:

"Your machinery is beautiful. Your society people have apologized to me for the envious ridicule with which your newspapers have referred to me. Your newspapers are comic but never amusing. Your Water Tower is a castellated monstrosity with pepperboxes stuck all over it. I am amazed that any people could so abuse Gothic art and make a structure not like a water tower but like a tower of a medieval castle. It should be torn down. It is a shame to spend so much money on buildings with such an unsatisfactory result. Your city looks positively dreary"
 
Old 03-05-2009, 08:42 AM
 
2,141 posts, read 2,644,556 times
Reputation: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Gtownoe. It's hard to respond to nonsence that you post. You guess what "real New Yorker" would approve and what would not (I guess that is supposed to make me look like a non-real New Yorker" is the proof.
Do not make assumptions about New York city what is lifestyle is as there is no single lifestyle in New York. Different people live different lifestyles; some catch Broadway shows as much as they can, some hang around Jones Beach, some enjoy alternative art scene and some hang around sport bars. There is no single New York lifestyle, and there are no REAL and FAKE New Yorkers.

You love Chicago? Good for you, you probably do not know any better, but since this thread is intended to compare those two cities, my posts were aimed at showing you how colorless Chicago is in comparison. "Walking around neighborhoods, rooftop parties, heavy drinking, different feel of neighboorhoods" you can find those "qualities" in almost any city in the country. I bet it can be said about Milwaukee. The fact that you think that being a birthplace of skyscraper, having the worst baseball team in the league or Sears Tower is cool shows how unimaginative and stagnant Chicago really is.

Let's face it. You won't get it. You won't get that your "dress code" is not about being relaxed, it is simply about lack any good taste. You won't get why potholes and rampant corruption reflects badly on the city. You won't get it but most people do and that's why nobody who is anybody in this world settles down in Chicago. For a three million large city you are positively plain, boring and unsinspiring.

Let me close with what Oscar Wild wrote about Chicago over a hundred years ago as it is still valid today:

"Your machinery is beautiful. Your society people have apologized to me for the envious ridicule with which your newspapers have referred to me. Your newspapers are comic but never amusing. Your Water Tower is a castellated monstrosity with pepperboxes stuck all over it. I am amazed that any people could so abuse Gothic art and make a structure not like a water tower but like a tower of a medieval castle. It should be torn down. It is a shame to spend so much money on buildings with such an unsatisfactory result. Your city looks positively dreary"
dementor-- you are absolutely priceless-- like your altered ego euro1whatever.

I referenced this Oscar Wilde quote directly to you previously. You, on queue, offered your skepticism (as only you can). Then, you hijack the quote and my idea and post it here! You are hilarious, transparent and pathetic at the very same time.

Seriously, are you 12? You behave and argue like it.
 
Old 03-05-2009, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Chicago - mudhole in the prairie...
1,624 posts, read 2,899,825 times
Reputation: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
He doesn't understand. To him, people are inexorably linked to where they live. I mean, I haven't lived in Chicago for nearly a decade and haven't even visited in like 3 years, but if I say something to him that he doesn't like it's "Chicago Style"- as if people from different places in the US are entirely culturally different.

He lives in his own little world and is entirely and completely parochial. He just assumes the rest of the world is, too.
Are you denying that there are cultural differences between Midwest, East Coast, West Coast of the South? There are even more subtle cultural differences like between NYC and the rest of the state or Illinois and Indiana.
Chicago style of discussion means ignoring evidence and making personal attacks if you can't win the argument any other way. If you follow Chicago politics you know where it comes from.
 
Old 03-05-2009, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Oahu
731 posts, read 1,816,770 times
Reputation: 299
Sorry, eurous, you're right.
 
Old 03-05-2009, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Chicago - mudhole in the prairie...
1,624 posts, read 2,899,825 times
Reputation: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
dementor-- you are absolutely priceless-- like your altered ego euro1whatever.

I referenced this Oscar Wilde quote directly to you previously. You, on queue, offered your skepticism (as only you can). Then, you hijack the quote and my idea and post it here! You are hilarious, transparent and pathetic at the very same time.

Seriously, are you 12? You behave and argue like it.
Oh. you mean you own the rights to Wilde's works so nobody else can quote his words? Ot maybe you think that quoting Wilde is an "idea" that should be protected by copyright laws?

By the way, you said you are out of this discussion and now you are responding to posts there were not even addressed to you?

PS. Yes. There is a big international conspiracy to take Chicago down. Blago and Wilde were part of it obviously.



"First in violence, deepest in dirt, lawless, unlovely, ill-smelling, irreverent, new; an overgrown gawk of a -- village, the "tough" among cities, a spectacle for the nation." Lincoln Steffens on Chicago in "The Shame of the Cities," 1904

"A facade of skyscrapers facing a lake and behind the facade, every type of dubiousness." E.M. Forster

Last edited by dementor; 03-05-2009 at 08:58 AM..
 
Old 03-05-2009, 08:56 AM
 
2,141 posts, read 2,644,556 times
Reputation: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Oh. you mean you own the rights to Wilde's works so nobody else can quote his words?

By the way, you said you are out of this discussion. What are you doing back in this thread then?

PS. Yes. There is a big international conspiracy to take Chicago down. Blago and Wilde were part of it obviously.



"First in violence, deepest in dirt, lawless, unlovely, ill-smelling, irreverent, new; an overgrown gawk of a -- village, the "tough" among cities, a spectacle for the nation." Lincoln Steffens on Chicago in "The Shame of the Cities," 1904

Yea, I did say I was out, but you're such an easy target, it's tough to stay out. Plus, the Oscar Wilde quote was too hard to let go.

And dementor-- the conspiracy is not against Chicago, it's Chicago's conspiracy against the world -- but mainly YOU. How quickly you forget. You should know this by now, but you keep on denying it. We're out to get you and convert you. Beware.

You may now carry on with your idiot-fest.
 
Old 03-05-2009, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Chicago - mudhole in the prairie...
1,624 posts, read 2,899,825 times
Reputation: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Yea, I did say I was out, but you're such an easy target, it's tough to stay out.

And dementor-- the conspiracy is not against Chicago, it's Chicago's conspiracy against the world -- but mainly YOU. How quickly you forget. You should know this by now, but you keep on denying it. We're out to get you and convert you. Beware.
That's not it. You know you are losing this argument and have to come back trying to save your face. Keep trying

Anyways, talking about conspiracy, we talk about Chicago, how uninspiring and plain boring it is, which is the premise you so vehemently oppose, but don't you think that if Chicago and its cultural life was as appealing as you claim it is, you would see a constant influx of interesting people i.e. arts/media/business celebrities?
C'mon now, for the third largest city you only have a handful of those while both NY and LA are full of prominent figures who were born in but then quickly ran away from Chicago? How is this possible that this great city is avoided by the rich and famous like a plague?
Is it possible that it is in fact so uninspiring and boring that only folks from Iowa, Indiana and Wisconsin little towns would prefer?
 
Old 03-05-2009, 09:17 AM
 
2,141 posts, read 2,644,556 times
Reputation: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
That's not it. You know you are losing this argument and have to come back trying to save your face. Keep trying

Anyways, talking about conspiracy, we talk about Chicago, how uninspiring and plain boring it is, which is the premise you so vehemently oppose, but don't you think that if Chicago and its cultural life was as appealing as you claim it is, you would see a constant influx of interesting people i.e. arts/media/business celebrities?
C'mon now, for the third largest city you only have a handful of those while both NY and LA are full of prominent figures who were born in but then quickly ran away from Chicago? How is this possible that this great city is avoided by the rich and famous like a plague?
Is it possible that it is in fact so uninspiring and boring that only folks from Iowa, Indiana and Wisconsin little towns would prefer?
LOL-- losing what argument? There is no argument here! You're not mature enough to argue. An argument-- or debate-- dementor, requires that two sides respect the other's position. Your whole stance is based on criticizing Chicago and then not acknowledging anything other posters say-- unless of course, they agree with you. That's not an argument dementor. I can almost picture you with your clenched fists and shaking body-- so compelled to respond about how bad Chicago is.

Good old dementor, you are a great source of humor and some intrigue (akin to witnessing a car crash) for me. I do-- in honesty-- want to thank you for this.

I'll get out of this thread so you can continue your duties as emcee of this idiot-fest.
 
Old 03-05-2009, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Chicago - mudhole in the prairie...
1,624 posts, read 2,899,825 times
Reputation: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
LOL-- losing what argument? There is no argument here! You're not mature enough to argue. An argument-- or debate-- dementor, requires that two sides respect the other's position. Your whole stance is based on criticizing Chicago and then not acknowledging anything other posters say-- unless of course, they agree with you. That's not an argument dementor. I can almost picture you with your clenched fists and shaking body-- so compelled to respond about how bad Chicago is.

Good old dementor, you are a great source of humor and some intrigue (akin to witnessing a car crash) for me. I do-- in honesty-- want to thank you for this.

I'll get out of this thread so you can continue your duties as emcee of this idiot-fest.
You promised that already once sot stick to it this time. I can see you will never answer my questions as the answer would prove my point. Chicago art of discussion. As good as its cultural life and as pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top