U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 05:11 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,112,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
NYC is not what used used to be, you are right about that, in the past 20 years, which is as far as I can remember, NYC got bigger, cleaner, safer and even more cultured and impressive than ever before. NYC ever look better than today and the all American recession somehow is not as apparent here.
I prefer the old school NY. Today, Manhattan seems more watered down with more tourists and corporate mainstream. In 1977, I hear was the best year when people had more freedom to do what they wanted in the city. Back then you didn't have a mayor telling you how much soda you can drink.

Quote:
And not, not only Americans but most of the world closely watches Wall Street and DC for latest developments as they affect lives of not only 300 million Americans but trillions of people around the world.
So far they aren't doing a very good job. The 1% banksters on Wall Street (hince Occupy Wall Street) along with DC's higher taxes and over regulation stealing more jobs from Americans isn't helping the country. What part of Stockton,CA, Detroit etc. and forcing companies to cut 40 hour work week (less income) you don't get?

Quote:
"Yankees got whooped by the sox". Big deal. this is sport, that happens but 27 WS titles is more than all Chicago teams combined. There is more to come, if not this season then the next. You can just dream about that kind of performance from any Chicago team. Lol You can just dream. Lol
Even though Chicago didn't win 27 titles, Chicago especially the Cubs still have a loyal fan base following to this day. Imo, Wrigley Field is the best ball park in America.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:33 PM

12,391 posts, read 23,766,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
I prefer the old school NY. Today, Manhattan seems more watered down with more tourists and corporate mainstream. In 1977, I hear was the best year when people had more freedom to do what they wanted in the city. Back then you didn't have a mayor telling you how much soda you can drink.

So far they aren't doing a very good job. The 1% banksters on Wall Street (hince Occupy Wall Street) along with DC's higher taxes and over regulation stealing more jobs from Americans isn't helping the country. What part of Stockton,CA, Detroit etc. and forcing companies to cut 40 hour work week (less income) you don't get?

Even though Chicago didn't win 27 titles, Chicago especially the Cubs still have a loyal fan base following to this day. Imo, Wrigley Field is the best ball park in America.
The soda ban is gone. Other cities such have also proposed liberal nanny agendas, not just NYC.

And speaking of Wall Street... they get all the blame and attention, yet when you go in other threads other cities are "ra ra ra" about them being "Global financial" hubs like Chicago, SF, Boston, Charlotte, aren't they doing the same thing? Wouldn't they, if they could?

Old 08-11-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
The soda ban is gone. Other cities such have also proposed liberal nanny agendas, not just NYC.
Those cities didn't have a crazy mayor like Bloom Nanny Daddy who know's best. The soda ban proposal only reached another mile stone for NYC for more control over it's citizens. I mean what is the mayor going to try to ban next. The next proposal is that you'll need a permit to go to the rest room. I mean come on you have to draw the common sense line somewhere. lol

Quote:
And speaking of Wall Street... they get all the blame and attention, yet when you go in other threads other cities are "ra ra ra" about them being "Global financial" hubs like Chicago, SF, Boston, Charlotte, aren't they doing the same thing? Wouldn't they, if they could?
Those cities aren't the main indicator for most of the stock trading activity for most corporations around the country. The activity that takes place on Wall Street and the Fed can make a profound difference on the dollar. The economic policies dictated out of DC can effect the country. NY and DC are tops not the other cities. Chicago to an extent ranking 2nd to NYC for trading activity.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:20 PM

12,391 posts, read 23,766,008 times
Quote:
Those cities didn't have a crazy mayor like Bloom Nanny Daddy who know's best. The soda ban proposal only reached another mile stone for NYC for more control over it's citizens. I mean what is the mayor going to try to ban next. The next proposal is that you'll need a permit to go to the rest room. I mean come on you have to draw the common sense line somewhere. lol

Those cities aren't the main indicator for most of the stock trading activity for most corporations around the country. The activity that takes place on Wall Street and the Fed can make a profound difference on the dollar. The economic policies dictated out of DC can effect the country. NY and DC are tops not the other cities. Chicago to an extent ranking 2nd to NYC for trading activity.
On the nanny stuff, I'm def not a fan of NYC doing that or any other city either.

I agree...and that was part of my point, but watch how many people on the board deny that kind of stuff that NYC/DC have that much power, it doesn't make the cities cooler or more livable, but it means those kind of jobs are there and what not.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
On the nanny stuff, I'm def not a fan of NYC doing that or any other city either.

I agree...and that was part of my point, but watch how many people on the board deny that kind of stuff that NYC/DC have that much power, it doesn't make the cities cooler or more livable, but it means those kind of jobs are there and what not.
Correct, in every country you'll have a designated city that make the official political and economic decisions for it's country rather if it's one city or in our case NY and DC. I use to live in Japan. In Tokyo, the decisions are made for country's economical and political position just like London in the UK.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:25 AM

555 posts, read 467,778 times
Quote:
To have anything interesting, or intelligent, to say about "old school" New York you would really need to know how New York was in the 70's, 80's and even early 90's. trust me, nobody who remembers New York from those days misses it. Today, New York is bigger, better, cleaner, safer and more affluent than ever before.
I take this over dying Chicago with diminishing population and on the brink of bankruptcy. Keep the "old school" Chicago and good luck with that lol
And yes, I am glad big corporations came back to New York that's why NYC's job market is unparalleled in the US. Thank God.

Quote:
I
The loyal "fan base" doesn't have a choice. It's not like Chicago could afford a decent team so they are stuck with the mediocre (Sox) and outright pathetic (Cubs). Enjoy. Lol

Old 08-12-2013, 10:08 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,643,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
To have anything interesting, or intelligent, to say about "old school" New York you would really need to know how New York was in the 70's, 80's and even early 90's. trust me, nobody who remembers New York from those days misses it. Today, New York is bigger, better, cleaner, safer and more affluent than ever before.
I take this over dying Chicago with diminishing population and on the brink of bankruptcy. Keep the "old school" Chicago and good luck with that lol
And yes, I am glad big corporations came back to New York that's why NYC's job market is unparalleled in the US. Thank God.

The loyal "fan base" doesn't have a choice. It's not like Chicago could afford a decent team so they are stuck with the mediocre (Sox) and outright pathetic (Cubs). Enjoy. Lol
You're generally wrong about everything, just wanted to spotlight the statement in bold above. In my experience, real New Yorkers complain all the time about the changes, just like the New Yorker you quoted. I believe you are not old enough (and do you even live in NYC?) to have an opinion on this. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I hear about how "great" Manhattan "used to be" from lifer natives constantly, and how "Disney" (or whatever) it's become.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:11 AM

517 posts, read 537,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
You're generally wrong about everything, just wanted to spotlight the statement in bold above. In my experience, real New Yorkers complain all the time about the changes, just like the New Yorker you quoted. I believe you are not old enough (and do you even live in NYC?) to have an opinion on this. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I hear about how "great" Manhattan "used to be" from lifer natives constantly, and how "Disney" (or whatever) it's become.
Yes, NYC was so much better with 500% more crime, decay and misery. A toast to the 70's!

And the rest of your thread is just stupid. If people were so upset about more prosperity and lower crime, then why did the city lose one million residents in "the good old days" and gain nearly 1.5 million residents since then?

Obviously people vote with their feet, and they were fleeing NYC back then, and now people are streaming into NYC in huge numbers.

Amazing as it sounds, people prefer low crime, strong economy, and lack of disorder. They prefer up-to-date transit, clean streets, and vibrant retail. They prefer good schools, responsive city services, and rising property values. Who would have thunk it?

Old 08-12-2013, 10:40 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,643,789 times
Regardless, most native New Yorkers I know and have met bemoan the "new" New York, period. This is a fact.

The people who moved in were not native New Yorkers. It's pretty simple, though even the simplest points seem to whiz right over that top hat of yours.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:42 AM

787 posts, read 1,423,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
Yes, NYC was so much better with 500% more crime, decay and misery. A toast to the 70's!

Amazing as it sounds, people prefer low crime, strong economy, and lack of disorder. They prefer up-to-date transit, clean streets, and vibrant retail. They prefer good schools, responsive city services, and rising property values. Who would have thunk it?

^^ except for the fact that the majority of those people who lived in the city during those rough years and toughed it out don't necessarily get to enjoy those amenities, as they are getting priced out. The unfortunate cost of gentrification.

See: Brooklyn, Harlem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or