Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 11:42 AM

517 posts, read 674,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
I thought it was more like 5 million. Not saying you're wrong - my sources were MTA.info and Wiki.
The MTA measures by actual passengers. I am talking about transit trips. In any case, NYC has 10-12 times as many passengers as in Chicago.

For 1Q 2013 (when many of the heavy rail lines in the NYC were still out of service or reduced service due to Hurricane Sandy), there were over 8.5 million heavy rail transit trips daily in the NYC area, and about 700k in the Chicago area.

The Chicago numbers are actually pretty good for U.S. standards, and put it in the general range of DC, Boston, Philly, and SF. But the NYC numbers are so huge, they dwarf every other heavy rail system in the U.S. combined.

http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship-APTA.pdf

The closest heavy rail system to Chicago in terms of ridership would be Boston.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:51 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,962,354 times
dp

Old 08-13-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
This is a great post, but doing my best to be objective and real, I do disagree with the sentence in bold though. I don't think it is competitive with NYC just by having a few things you mentioned, as other cities have them as well. NYC has no competition in the United States as far as urban living/city offerings goes and it is a very large gap. You need to look at London or Tokyo for that kind of competition. Why this is a bad thing I don't know, other cities don't need to be another NYC megacity, they are fine just being themselves.
And, from what I know...people in Boston, DC and SF for example are going to argue with you on that #3 slot or even the #2 slot (many disagreements with LA as a 2) for sure based on other reasons like metrics like QOL, GDP, education, metro offerings, walkability, their own institutions, etc. It isn't such a clear case as who is the #1.
Cities always compete with each other in this country from luring businesses, people or sports teams regardless of size. Rather you want to live in a residential highrise in NY or Chicago depends on one's preference. Which is better is all subjective. NY as a city may have more but most people in the country live on other cities combined than in NYC if you add it all up. In reality, the people who live in a city may not care about GDP or who has the largest museum. That's neither here nor there. In the end, it's subjective just like New Orleans being uniquely different from any other city that's more appealing to some people. It would suck if all cities were alike. I prefer Chicago style to be Chicago not NY and the same can be said about NYC. As for London, it's history leaves NYC in the dust but that doesn't mean it's a better city in some people's mind. Rather which one is better depends on individual taste anyway. No two cities are alike. Would Tokyo be better because it has a larger population than NYC for being the world's largest? It's not always about quantity but about a city's unique character. Every city has their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Who said it was better. As I said, I walked out. I was saying nyc has more extremes on the high and low end that change the "average" grocery and eating out cost. And speaking of dime a dozen, that is how cheap ethnic food is in NYC. While Chicago has this too for sure, NYC goes deeper and broader. You can eat out in NYC on a shoe string budget or drop 3000 a month eating out like the people in the link I posted. I don't see how some of those people make money selling dollar pizzas and 2 dollar falafels, has to be just high volume and getting by.
You're not telling me anything new. I know NYC offers those things. My point is that it doesn't matter if it's cheap or expensive as long as it taste good. Rather you want Chicago's Vienna Beef or NY's Nathan's it's all subjective to individual taste in the end. It's rather silly to argue my restaurant has a bigger menu than yours but that doesn't mean everything listed on there taste the best across the board.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Cities always compete with each other in this country from luring businesses, people or sports teams regardless of size. Rather you want to live in a residential highrise in NY or Chicago depends on one's preference. Which is better is all subjective. NY as a city may have more but most people in the country live on other cities combined than in NYC if you add it all up. In reality, the people who live in a city may not care about GDP or who has the largest museum. That's neither here nor there.
I agree with all this, but then the question is why all these threads?

Why are there 1000 NY v Chicago threads started by Chicago forumers, but no Chicago v Indy threads? Why no Chicago v Detroit threads?

If I'm understanding you correctly, any city can be compared to any other city, and relative size is irrelevent. Rather, preferences are all that counts.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:19 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,157,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post

Why are there 1000 NY v Chicago threads started by Chicago forumers, but no Chicago v Indy threads? Why no Chicago v Detroit threads?
There are literally hundreds of those. Just type "Chicago vs" in the search function and you'll get pages of results. More specifically:

Detroit:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...s-chicago.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...s-detroit.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...n-chicago.html

Indy:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...s-chicago.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...cleveland.html

New York's MSA is nearly exactly twice the size of Chicago's. How is the Chicago/NYC comparison any more ridiculous than the ones you propose? Chicago is 5 times bigger than Indy, for example.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
There are literally hundreds of those. Just type "Chicago vs" in the search function and you'll get pages of results. More specifically:
I don't see even one such thread. I asked for threads started by Chicago forumers. I see very few such comparison threads, and none started by the same forumers, yet they claim to just randomly compare these two cities.

In fact, if you go to the threads you posted, you see the exact same forumers making the complete opposite argument. They claim Chicago shouldn't be compared to Indy or Detroit. Why, exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
New York's MSA is nearly exactly twice the size of Chicago's. How is the Chicago/NYC comparison any more ridiculous than the ones you propose? Chicago is 5 times bigger than Indy, for example.
I don't think it's any more ridiculous. I'm wondering why the same folks starting thousands of stupid NY v Chicago threads don't follow their stated thoughts and start other threads. Seems highly coincidential to just compare to the same random city.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
NYC booster? Simply because I pointed out that the Yankees historically outperform every other team in the league? Only in Chicago, only in Chicago. Lol
Historically, NY has a better record in baseball but when we turn the table to basketball Chicago leads with 6 title championships to Knicks only having 2. It was the legendary Micheal Jordan and Co. who taught the Knicks how to lose at Madison Square Garden stunning the Knicks fans into speechless defeat. Only in NY. (two can play that game)

Old 08-13-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:

If I'm understanding you correctly, any city can be compared to any other city, and relative size is irrelevent. Rather, preferences are all that counts.
This is city vs city. NYC isn't exempt. Some things are subjective.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:02 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,157,419 times
Quote:
I don't see even one such thread. I asked for threads started by Chicago forumers. I see very few such comparison threads, and none started by the same forumers, yet they claim to just randomly compare these two cities.

In fact, if you go to the threads you posted, you see the exact same forumers making the complete opposite argument. They claim Chicago shouldn't be compared to Indy or Detroit. Why, exactly?

I don't think it's any more ridiculous. I'm wondering why the same folks starting thousands of stupid NY v Chicago threads don't follow their stated thoughts and start other threads. Seems highly coincidential to just compare to the same random city.
Ah, I see, you're wearing tinfoil. Carry on!

Old 08-13-2013, 06:16 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,687,839 times
Between those two I pick NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City