U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 12:51 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,138,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I totally disagree with that as there are more differences to take into account, and I'm sure people used to NYC totally disagree with Chicago saying similar stuff about NYC. Having more of things and at top quality changes the dynamics of things.
They are all cool cities though. NYC is one of the few true global hubs of everything of maybe 3-4 cities in an elite group. Chicago is the de facto big city for a 55 million people region with global connectivity mixed in. Minneapolis is the biggest city for the sub region of the upper midwest.

With those, there are going to be people that don't want everything NYC has... but on the other hand, Minneapolis is just too small for them. That's fine. This probably fits most Chicagoans. There are those that Chicago is too much for them and have it "just right" with Minneapolis. Then, for others, Chicago is not going to be enough, they need somewhere like NYC. None of the opinions are bad choices and all 3 offer a different feel/tier of city.
You make too much sense.

My head is spinning.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:56 PM

14,798 posts, read 19,039,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
Few hundred? Counting what? High school plays or movie theaters? Lol. And no musicals usually come to Chicago after they were shown on broadway
Actually there are many, many smaller theaters in Chicago and many larger ones too that are not located in the Loop. I'm not counting High School ****. Stop with your bull****. The adults are trying to have a normal conversation here.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:12 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,586,165 times
OK enough on this urban/suburban thing for awhile, at least for me. It's been done.

Here is something Chicago wins in... the waterfront

A video I shot...

sorry, vimeo really messed up the quality ... but you get the point.

[vimeo]71460336[/vimeo]
MVI 3493 on Vimeo

Last edited by grapico; 08-21-2013 at 04:34 PM..

Old 08-21-2013, 04:39 PM

314 posts, read 347,952 times
Quote:
NYC booster? Simply because I pointed out that the Yankees historically outperform every other team in the league?
Is that consider boosterism? Lol
Again. Sour grapes. Each and every Yankee hater simply envies the team that has been able to deliver this kind of performance decade after decade.
The Cubs on the hand: the lastWS title over 100 years ago. How can you be so pathetic and still survive? Only in Chicago, only in Chicago. Lol
comprehension problems I see. What a complete and utter waste of typing energy.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:25 PM

555 posts, read 488,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually not true many musicals/shows/plays are actually tested in other markets or even off broadway. I know for a fact that this is done in both Chciago and Philadelphia (am sure many other places too), not always but also not uncommon - though most times they are smaller venues. Even small venues like the Bucks County Playhouse in New Hope PA at times will do this. Many times its cheaper this way TBH

History | Bucks County Playhouse
Many shows are tested and many simply are being picked by Broadway after proving successful in smaller markets. It does not change the fact that broadway shows after being done in New York are taken "on the road" to other cities and Chicago is not an exception. As a matter of fact there is a continuous program called Broadway in Chicago that does just that: brings shows that are at the end of their life on Broadway to Chicago, often with different casts as most actors would not leave Broadway for Chicago.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:27 PM

555 posts, read 488,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Actually there are many, many smaller theaters in Chicago and many larger ones too that are not located in the Loop. I'm not counting High School ****. Stop with your bull****. The adults are trying to have a normal conversation here.
You sad few hundreds. Again how did you mean theaters or maybe Walgreens stores? Lol
How did you count a few hundred theaters in Chicago?

Old 08-21-2013, 09:25 PM

573 posts, read 878,651 times
Chicago's skyline is way better looking. NYC dominates Chicago's in size.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
You sad few hundreds. Again how did you mean theaters or maybe Walgreens stores? Lol
How did you count a few hundred theaters in Chicago?
I have heard that figure thrown out by the media a few times, and a quick internet search even through a service like Yelp will return many matches under "performing arts" and theaters.

I'm talking about theatres that have plays, musicals, etc and sketch comedy types of performances. I don't count standup comedy clubs, although some may.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:25 PM

314 posts, read 347,952 times
This thread is BEYOND old and should've been shut down a long time ago..New York city is king, no American city can compare blah blah blah WE GET IT AND HAVE READ IT A MILLION TIMES, ENOUGH ALREADY....

Old 08-21-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC1980 View Post
This thread is BEYOND old and should've been shut down a long time ago..New York city is king, no American city can compare blah blah blah WE GET IT AND HAVE READ IT A MILLION TIMES, ENOUGH ALREADY....
Agreed. One may say NYC is dirty and whatever, but it really is king in the US and one of the greatest world cities. That's not to say that my current home, Chicago is bad, but owning up to NYC for most world cities is a pretty damn hard task that not many can truly do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or