Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 02:56 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Forgot Chicago doesn't have street vendors (I think, I don't remember any)

Old 08-28-2013, 03:01 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
First of all, this is one video. You can't tell a lot by a video, but you can tell if you watch closely that yes there is foot traffic and people not necessarily just waiting in line. There is a lot of foot traffic in this area. Trust me.

Many, many places in this area are open until 4am every day and until 5am on Saturdays, with some food places also open that late or 24 hours (or something similar). In the very, very least, someone not open until 4am/5am every day of the year is open until 3am on Saturdays, so yes there's foot traffic all over the place in these areas after 3am on weekends in the least. 4am applies to Sunday through Friday and 5am for Saturdays.

Pretty much every bar/club on Division Street is also open until 4am/5am every day of the year a half mile or so north of this area (with a few more scattered between these two areas), with a lot of late night food places (some open 24 hours, some open until 5am-6am). To say there's not much after 2am or 3am shows your lack of knowledge of nightlife in Chicago in general.

Just in that general area, here are some of the 4am/5am bars/clubs, not counting Division Street a handful of blocks north. And no, I'm not comparing to NYC. I'm responding to your statement about foot traffic in Chicago after 2am or 3am. These are only in River North and I'm leaving some out:
* Castle - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
* Sound-Bar - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
* Underground Wonder Bar - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
* Spybar, River North | Metromix Chicago
* Board Room Chicago- A Boutique Nightclub - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
* Cuvee, River North | Metromix Chicago
* The Underground - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
* Stout Barrel House and Galley - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
* Stay, River North | Metromix Chicago
* Social Twenty Five - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
* Mother Hubbard's - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
* O'Callaghan's - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
* Boss Bar, River North | Metromix Chicago
* Ontourage - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
* Clark Street Ale House - Near North Side - Chicago, IL

etc
None of those bars are 4 to 5 everyday, only weekends
, they can't be because there isn't an ordinance for that

I think he was talking overall foot traffic I feel safer say in Manhattan at 2 am because there are way way more people milling around and not just in bar areas

There are lots of people out still in Chicago though but its more spotty, there are bookstores and such along with far more 24 hour stores and restaurants in Manhattan. Chicago goes late but
Really its just bars, restaurant options go down a lot after 10 or 11, in NYC there are still tons of places with an open kitchen late into the night

Late night or 24 hour coffee places also very few if any anymore in Chicago that isn't a chain, its more typical for these along with diners to stay open late there

Gourmet coffee places aren't very good in Chicago either I think the village alone has more interesting shops and aren't chains

Last edited by grapico; 08-28-2013 at 03:11 PM..

Old 08-28-2013, 03:17 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
None of those bars are 4 to 5 everyday, only weekends
, they can't be because there isn't an ordinance for that
Wrong. Absolutely wrong. The license in Chicago is that you can be open until 4am every night of the week with a special late hour license, and 5am on Saturdays (of course it would be 5am on Sunday technically)

City of Chicago :: Classes of Liquor Licenses
Quote:
Late Hour License

Businesses wishing to remain open beyond the legal closing time of 2:00 a.m. may obtain a Late Hour Liquor License. This license is required for the additional privilege to remain open and permit the sale of alcoholic liquor until 4:00 a.m., Monday-Saturday, and until 5:00 a.m. on Sunday. Businesses holding a Tavern, Packaged Goods, or Consumption on Premises-Incidental Activity license are permitted to apply for a late hour license
Also yes there were bars listed there that are open until at least 4am every day of the night as I did list them and in no way is this a city-wide list. Furthermore, you said that "only on weekends." In reality, there's only a few of these. The worst thing is that a bar is open Wednesday or Thursday until Saturday. I think I only know of 1 or 2 clubs in the entire city that are only open Friday and Saturday. Other than that, no, it's most nights of the week if not every night.

Read these hours again:
* http://www.yelp.com/biz/underground-...-bar-chicago-2
* http://www.yelp.com/biz/o-callaghans-chicago-2
* http://www.yelp.com/biz/stout-barrel...galley-chicago
* http://chicago.metromix.com/venues/m...boss-bar-venue
* http://www.yelp.com/biz/clark-street-ale-house-chicago
* http://www.yelp.com/biz/mother-hubbards-chicago-2

Others in the area I didn't list
* http://www.yelp.com/biz/pippins-tavern-chicago
* http://www.yelp.com/biz/streeters-chicago
* http://www.yelp.com/biz/dublin-bar-and-grill-chicago

Not to mention a handful of more bars open every day until 4am/5am on Division just north of that and not mentioning other parts of the city.

Last edited by marothisu; 08-28-2013 at 03:31 PM..

Old 08-28-2013, 03:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Chicago may have some street vendors selling food (though less than Manhattan), but where's the street vendors selling counterfeit goods like in Midtown Manhattan?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/09/ny...pagewanted=all

Makes the CBD seem less of an office worker only spot. So does have p0rn shops in the CBD, which also seems to be almost goen:
EV Grieve: The World of DVD is closing: So how many adult shops are left on Eighth Avenue?

Old 08-28-2013, 03:22 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Chicago may have some street vendors selling food (though less than Manhattan), but where's the street vendors selling counterfeit goods like in Midtown Manhattan?

Makes the CBD seem less of an office worker only spot. So does have p0rn shops in the CBD, which also seems to be almost goen:
EV Grieve: The World of DVD is closing: So how many adult shops are left on Eighth Avenue?
Maybe with the influx of Latinos / Mexicans that Chicago has been receiving for a while now this will start to happen? Or are there strict laws that keep these sorts of things from happening in Chicago's downtown?

Also I am curious, is there a lot of illicit candy / soda / snack sales on the NYC subway and / or the El? I had never seen it in Boston, but it is pretty much the norm for some lines down here in LA.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:

There are, but in nowhere even close to NYC. Not even close. If you want to spot it you have to go a little north of River North in Near North Side. I've seen them out a bit on Chicago Avenue between State and Rush/Wabash, near Rush & Superior, or between State and Rush on Pearson.

As far as the street carts go, I forgot that in the summer, there's a number of "cold foods" (i.e. ice cream products) stuff being carted around on beaches and on the lake front path. Too bad they suck at business and overcharge way too much.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

As far as the street carts go, I forgot that in the summer, there's a number of "cold foods" (i.e. ice cream products) stuff being carted around on beaches and on the lake front path. Too bad they suck at business and overcharge way too much.
Yea, I remember a rather noisy one at a Near North Side. Wasn't doing too much business. Wish I got a chance to swim in the lake, but I didn't bring a bathing suit and I had nowhere to store my wallet and cell phone. Thought dropping them on the nearby sand would be a bad idea.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

Also I am curious, is there a lot of illicit candy / soda / snack sales on the NYC subway and / or the El? I had never seen it in Boston, but it is pretty much the norm for some lines down here in LA.
There's teenagers that wander through the subway car selling overpriced candy to fund their "sports team". Also ones who attempt to break dance on the train. Mostly annoying and you're captive audience.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Maybe with the influx of Latinos / Mexicans that Chicago has been receiving for a while now this will start to happen? Or are there strict laws that keep these sorts of things from happening in Chicago's downtown?
I think there are more strict laws about it downtown, because every time I am in Albany Park, I always run into a few food carts cooking up tacos and stuff and on the weekends the same in Logan Square (I snapped a picture last weekend). In Wicker Park and Logan Square, there's always this lady there cooking up sausages at like 2am-5am on weekends too.

Quote:
You semi-often times run into teenagers selling candy bars on the El or the platform, or near a stop. Then there's the people who need money for a "basketball trip" or whatever it might be on the El (as well as on the busy streets).

Old 08-28-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Yea, I remember a rather noisy one at a Near North Side. Wasn't doing too much business. Wish I got a chance to swim in the lake, but I didn't bring a bathing suit and I had nowhere to store my wallet and cell phone. Thought dropping them on the nearby sand would be a bad idea.
I was watching the Air and Water show the other weekend for a few minutes and it was semi hot out, and the girl I was with wanted a push-pop. One of those carts wanted to charge me $7 for a push-pop and ice cream sandwich. LOL! I figured since they were from another culture, I could barter with them and offered them $3 but they wouldn't budge, and laughed at me. Spending too much time in the middle east and parts of Europe have me trying to barter more in the states with this type of stuff. Terrible business people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City