Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2013, 11:39 AM

517 posts, read 677,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Here's what everything is boiling down to.

New York is becoming increasing unaffordable to those who are not low income or high income. Rent stabilization is one of the few things keeping people in the middle in the city of they so choose. However, even for many of these people, as allowed increases go up and deregulation happening once rent gets above $2500, NYC is becoming unaffordable.

Try seeing what a 2-bedroom apartment rents for in Bed Stuy nowadays. Those who are getting displaced are primarily coming from one group of people. Sorry if that seems strange to me...
But rent burden in NYC isn't higher than in other cities. The fact is that the % of income paid to rent in NYC isn't much different.

So any concerns applied to NYC, could also be applied to pretty much every major city. You can say the same for Chicago, Dallas, Miami, LA, SF, wherever. The "average" person in NYC doesn't pay a greater % of income on rent. The reason, probably, is rent stabilization.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:41 AM

787 posts, read 1,695,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
You are right that the black population is declining somewhat in NYC.

But, that said, IMO the black population in NYC isn't declining because of gentrification in Harlem and Bed Stuy.

First, only a very small % of blacks in NYC live in Harlem and Bed Stuy. The biggest black population centers in NYC are Eastern Brooklyn (East NY/Brownsville/East Flatbush), parts of SE Queens, and Wakefield in the Bronx. None of these ares are experiencing signficant gentrification, though some (such as SE Queens) are under pressure from immigration by different ethnic groups.
Brooklyn's black population declined by 4% and declined in Clinton Hill and Fort Green by over 1/3...even as the white population in those areas dramatically increased.

It's part of a larger demographic change...the number of African Americans in NYC declined for the first time ever since the Civil War, according to the 2010 census.

Why is this happening when every other group's population is increasing?

Old 08-12-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Why is this happening when every other group's population is increasing?
Probably for the same reason it's happening in every other major U.S. city. African Americans are moving to the suburbs and back to the South. I don't think gentrification is the major reason.

I'm not aware of any major U.S. city that isn't losing African Americans.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Probably for the same reason it's happening in every other major U.S. city. African Americans are moving to the suburbs and back to the South. I don't think gentrification is the major reason.

I'm not aware of any major U.S. city that isn't losing African Americans.
African Americans have been moving to the south since the 1970s. That can't be the only reason. Why is the black population declining in New York right now?

Old 08-12-2013, 11:56 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,795,840 times
New York is my favorite city. Great restaurants, shopping, fashion, etc. There's a reason why its so looked up upon and well known.... it's just that amazing.

Chicago though, IMO, is second at restaurants and food, has amazing nightlife and shopping, and has better architecture, a higher quality of life, and a FAR better waterfront. Anyone who doesn't think so has not been to Chicago.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
African Americans have been moving to the south since the 1970s. That can't be the only reason. Why is the black population declining in New York right now?
Again, why are you asking this, when the exact same thing is happening in every other U.S. city?

Why not ask why the sky is blue? Blacks in NYC aren't some alien species separate from everyone else. If they're moving to the suburbs and Down South in Philly, DC, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, LA, SF. etc., then why would NYC be different?

Old 08-12-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Again, why are you asking this, when the exact same thing is happening in every other U.S. city?

Why not ask why the sky is blue? Blacks in NYC aren't some alien species separate from everyone else. If they're moving to the suburbs and Down South in Philly, DC, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, LA, SF. etc., then why would NYC be different?
Why is black population loss happening in those black neighborhoods most adjacent to Manhattan, along with a subsequent rise in non-Hispanic white populations, in every single instance? Compare the demographics of Harlem, Clinton Hill, and Fort Greene (even Crown Heights, Bed-Stuy, Flatbush) from the 2000-2010 census. Displacement of other ethnicities by white gentrifiers is happening too (see Bushwick).

Gentrification is happening and it is displacing African Americans in New York. Is it a sinister plot? no. Is it happening? Yes. Simple.

I never suggested that its unique to New York.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Chicago though, IMO, is second at restaurants and food, has amazing nightlife and shopping, and has better architecture, a higher quality of life, and a FAR better waterfront. Anyone who doesn't think so has not been to Chicago.
I lived in Chicago, and, for me, couldn't disagree more. Architecture is far worse, quality of life was far worse if you want an urban lifestyle (but much better if you want a suburban lifestyle), and waterfront was not that good.

It looks beautiful from Grant Park, but the parks in Chicago are rundown and mediocre compared to NYC. Lincoln Park is outright decrepit compared to Central Park. You have to walk under a freeway, half the park is privatized (I lived next to a private yacht club with huge parking lot; can you imagine a private club in the middle of Central Park, Riverside Park, or Prospect Park), and the park is generally ill-maintained compared to NYC (more brown patches of grass, more vandalism, garbage, etc.).

The one thing I loved was the Chicago Lakefront Trail. This is AWESOME and I used it almost every day. Completely, totally indispensible.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:35 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,495,298 times
Quote:
Why is black population loss happening in those black neighborhoods most adjacent to Manhattan, along with a subsequent rise in non-Hispanic white populations, in every single instance? Compare the demographics of Harlem, Clinton Hill, and Fort Greene (even Crown Heights, Bed-Stuy, Flatbush) from the 2000-2010 census. Displacement of other ethnicities by white gentrifiers is happening too (see Bushwick).

Gentrification is happening and it is displacing African Americans in New York. Is it a sinister plot? no. Is it happening? Yes. Simple.

I never suggested that its unique to New York.
What you say is true. But since this is a threat about NYC and Chicago. Chicago actually fares worse in this regard.

"The 2010 Census showed the city of Chicago lost 200,000 people over the last decade. The city now has about as many people as it did in 1910. There are 181,000 fewer African Americans in the city, a whopping drop of 17 percent, and 72,000 fewer in the region as a whole"
-Huffington Post.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:37 PM

314 posts, read 422,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
You only say that because Chicago could never afford a team like the Yankees.
Cute straw man, actually you'll hear exactly what I said far more from Red Sox fans than any other fan base. Your anti-Chicago schtick on here is beyond hacky and embarrassing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City