Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 12:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times

Advertisements

Hmm. I think that agrees with what I was saying? Though as my post said, there was small-scale industry in medium sized building in built up parts of Manhattan.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:13 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
^^ Yes there are areas in Queens that happen to be more suburban than inner Chicago, however, anywhere in Queens where most population is built up by the subway is going to be denser and more urban than most anywhere in Chicago outside of downtown at the multiblock level.

And yes, the point was the suburban aesthetics, or... parking lots and presence of big box chains, housing style etc starts far closer in (in the actual downtown area) with higher frequency than you see in NYC. You typically will not see this in Manhattan, most of Bronx, most of the NW side of Brooklyn, and areas of Queens where the subway runs.

Queens around 7 miles outside of Manhattan

Michael Perlman
Aerial of Forest Hills and vicinity, it's taken from the 34th floor of an apartment complex.

Michael Perlman

Michael Perlman

Michael Perlman

Michael Perlman

Michael Perlman

You can also see almost the full manhattan skyline in this and see how much bigger it really is than Chicago's.

FH again with Brooklyn and Manhattan skylines seeming to connect in the distance. (zoom in)

Now outside of this, you will run into suburban style areas mixed in with 20+ unit apartments, flats, etc... Somewhat similar to most of Chicago in build style/layout. Then FH gardens which is more of a subdivision.

The style in the area is often like this going south.

Michael Perlman

Many multi units in Queens look like this, they are everywhere.

Michael Perlman

Then transition into areas like this mixed in where you find sfh, but often these are 2-3 families living in them on different levels. but others are just one family, then you also have very nice homes mixed in.

Michael Perlman

These aesthetics remind me way more of Chicago than anything in Manhattan does, outer areas of Brooklyn do even more so, esp b/c they have some better nightlife close by and such.

Now a scene like this... is far more reminicisnt of Chicago somewhat outer neighborhoods, particularly west and NW side than anywhere in Manhattan or denser areas of Queens/BK/Bronx...

http://goo.gl/maps/cd2eP

And a scene like this is more reminiscent of the denser northside areas by the lake once you get out of the highrises than anywhere in Manhattan including the elevated subway track.

http://goo.gl/maps/XVzWN

Though technically it's still way denser and built up more at 68k ppsm still...aesthetically they are more similar.

The latter two gmaps are obviously Brooklyn.
I would be claustrophobic if I had to live in one of those buildings in Queens. I'd feel packed in like a sardine. Also, there would be no pride in ownership...the only thing that would belong to you, would be the furniture in your apartment. Not appealing at all...depressing, actually, to me.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I would be claustrophobic if I had to live in one of those buildings in Queens. I'd feel packed in like a sardine. Also, there would be no pride in ownership...the only thing that would belong to you, would be the furniture in your apartment. Not appealing at all...depressing, actually, to me.
Many of those buildings are condos or co-ops, as in you own a share of the building. So yes you can own. They won't win any looks award, but they're functional and a decent deal for price / decent neighborhood.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:25 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
So I guess Manhattan would feel even more depressing?

Old 08-19-2013, 02:54 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And your images of parking lots is not me telling me anything new, the fact the entire city does not look like Manhattan is common knowledge as well. The point of the thread is NYC vs Chicago, as in the differences between the two cities.
Exactly, here are two links of both cities near the CBD. Manhattan is loaded with parking facilities. You'll notice the Loop doesn't have as many as Manhattan. However, not to panic most of those facilities are parking garages.

Manhattan > http://goo.gl/maps/9fWnc

Loop > http://goo.gl/maps/gJ23y

Quote:
Except Chicago has far more of them closer to downtown, which is why they're more immediately obvious.
Sure but having way more parking garages is nothing to brag either. I've seen plenty at street level in Manhattan.

Quote:
Read my post. I was referring to underground parking for a supermarket in Manhattan.
I only posted an illustrative example of an under ground parking garage. My bad if there wasn't a supermarket above it.

Quote:
Do mean widening of boulevards? Most buildings weren't in the way of expressways.
Highway as in US or Interstate, there was plenty of development that existed in the area pre I-90/94. A lot of it was removed.
Source: Curious City: What the South Side of Chicago looked like before the Dan Ryan Expressway | WBEZ 91.5 Chicago

Quote:
Many of those buildings are condos or co-ops, as in you own a share of the building. So yes you can own. They won't win any looks award, but they're functional and a decent deal for price / decent neighborhood.
I use to live in a highrise. You only own the airspace within each unit not the building itself. I agree with the looks. They certainly don't look as nice aesthetically like the ones along Greene Street. I could say Pyongyang blocks but that would be wrong. (j/k)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
^^ Yes there are areas in Queens that happen to be more suburban than inner Chicago, however, anywhere in Queens where most population is built up by the subway is going to be denser and more urban than most anywhere in Chicago outside of downtown at the multiblock level.

And yes, the point was the suburban aesthetics, or... parking lots and presence of big box chains, housing style etc starts far closer in (in the actual downtown area) with higher frequency than you see in NYC. You typically will not see this in Manhattan, most of Bronx, most of the NW side of Brooklyn, and areas of Queens where the subway runs.
Sure you will have less suburban characteristics the closer you are to Manhattan. I wasn't disputing that at all. I already made my point about "NYC" having suburban characteristics through out the city though. As for skyline, NYC is larger than Chicago. Anything below and above 492ft (all buildings) Chicago is around 1/6 of NYC. Source: List of cities with the most high-rise buildings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia However, anything over 492 ft that stands out more from a distance Chicago actually has 113 buildings which is half of Manhattan's 227. Hong Kong leads the world with 294 buildings over 492ft and 7,896 (all buildings) to NYC's 6,504.
Source:List of cities with the most skyscrapers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for residential highrises, Chicago doesn't have the amount of public housing highrises today like it use to. Chicago is more like this outside the loop with multi family unit buildings.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:05 PM

555 posts, read 591,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Exactly, here are two links of both cities near the CBD. Manhattan is loaded with parking facilities. You'll notice the Loop doesn't have as many as Manhattan. However, not to panic most of those facilities are parking garages.

Manhattan > http://goo.gl/maps/9fWnc

Loop > http://goo.gl/maps/gJ23y

Sure but having way more parking garages is nothing to brag either. I've seen plenty at street level in Manhattan.

I only posted an illustrative example of an under ground parking garage. My bad if there wasn't a supermarket above it.

Highway as in US or Interstate, there was plenty of development that existed in the area pre I-90/94. A lot of it was removed.
Source: Curious City: What the South Side of Chicago looked like before the Dan Ryan Expressway | WBEZ 91.5 Chicago

I use to live in a highrise. You only own the airspace within each unit not the building itself. I agree with the looks. They certainly don't look as nice aesthetically like the ones along Greene Street. I could say Pyongyang blocks but that would be wrong. (j/k)

Sure you will have less suburban characteristics the closer you are to Manhattan. I wasn't disputing that at all. I already made my point about "NYC" having suburban characteristics through out the city though. As for skyline, NYC is larger than Chicago. Anything below and above 492ft (all buildings) Chicago is around 1/6 of NYC. Source: List of cities with the most high-rise buildings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia However, anything over 492 ft that stands out more from a distance Chicago actually has 113 buildings which is half of Manhattan's 227. Hong Kong leads the world with 294 buildings over 492ft and 7,896 (all buildings) to NYC's 6,504.
Source:List of cities with the most skyscrapers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for residential highrises, Chicago doesn't have the amount of public housing highrises today like it use to. Chicago is more like this outside the loop with multi family unit buildings.
Why don't you stop that nonsense already?

Chicago is much less densely populated and urban than New York, to New Yorkers it seems almost suburban with huge undeveloped swaths right in its core. That's all

Old 08-19-2013, 03:21 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
Why don't you stop that nonsense already?

Chicago is much less densely populated and urban than New York, to New Yorkers it seems almost suburban with huge undeveloped swaths right in its core. That's all
I'm never claimed that Chicago was more dense or equal to NYC in size. I only made an earlier point of highlighting some of NYC's suburban characteristics even though Chicago has more of it. There are some suburban like areas of the Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn that are less urban than some areas of Chicago but for the most part they have more density in total number. That's all. A lot more density than you'll find along Broward Boulevard.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:27 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Well there is way more breathing room there than in Manhattan neighborhoods

Old 08-19-2013, 05:22 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So I guess Manhattan would feel even more depressing?
If I couldn't afford to own something other than a small apartment with a kitchen you can barely turn around in, it would be depressing...definitely.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post

I use to live in a highrise. You only own the airspace within each unit not the building itself.
If it's a condo. If it's a co-op, you own part of the building, as is common for a lot of those buildings. And the co-op "owners" get to decide who's allowed to buy in or rather move in. A bit like a HOA in some ways.

Meeting someone who grew up in one of those in a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City