Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2013, 03:05 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Big box stores and strip malls in NYC. Nothing within 22 miles you say?

http://goo.gl/maps/PCtdh

http://goo.gl/maps/JlYy8

http://goo.gl/maps/SlM1E

Want more?

Chicago is also guilty of having this > http://goo.gl/maps/mp4BA

I thought it was obvious I was referring to the 22 sq miles of Manhattan u know areas next to the downtown? Chicago has this stuff in its downtown and all around it as I've already posted its equivalent to having a giant home depot in the village or soho

Old 08-20-2013, 04:04 PM

555 posts, read 591,361 times
Default NYC vs. Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
Urbanologist, what is your point with all these irrelevent tidbits? There is no city on earth lacking parking, or where 100% of commuters travel by train.

Does that mean that Tokyo is exactly the same as Tulsa? After all, they both have at least one parking lot!

The point is that NYC and Chicago are radically different in terms of density, parking, transit-orientation, urbanity and the like.
That's all. Very simple but arguing with Chicagoans is like trying to explain relativity theory to a horse. Can't succeed.

Last edited by flotard; 08-20-2013 at 04:20 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 04:25 PM

Default NYC vs. Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yes... saying "NYC has less suburban characteristics" is an understatement... It has FAR less and is way more urban over a greater span, and it isn't close.
C'mon grapico. You know very well that's a theme going on in Chicago is that Chicago offers "pretty much" the same experience as New York. Five theaters are pretty much the same as five hundred and Chicago museums are "pretty much" like new York's. Now, New York may have less suburban characteristics" than Chicago, but the cities are "pretty much" the same....only Chicago is cheaper and cleaner of course. Don't you get it? Lol

Old 08-20-2013, 07:00 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
C'mon grapico. You know very well that's a theme going on in Chicago is that Chicago offers "pretty much" the same experience as New York. Five theaters are pretty much the same as five hundred and Chicago museums are "pretty much" like new York's. Now, New York may have less suburban characteristics" than Chicago, but the cities are "pretty much" the same....only Chicago is cheaper and cleaner of course. Don't you get it? Lol
Some people think NYC has no suburban qualities to it but I've already proven that it does.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:07 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I thought it was obvious I was referring to the 22 sq miles of Manhattan u know areas next to the downtown? Chicago has this stuff in its downtown and all around it as I've already posted its equivalent to having a giant home depot in the village or soho

You're only talking about the area near or in downtown but I'm also including other areas of the city. I think we've both established both points already. However, there's more to Chicago than parking lots here and there. You left out all the other aspects of Chicago's urban side. You're focused on telling one side of the city's characteristics while leaving out the others.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Some people think NYC has no suburban qualities to it but I've already proven that it does.
Who? I think everyone, especially here, is aware of that.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:58 PM

Default NYC vs. Chicago

Quote:
You are still beyond hilarious. Of course in a 8?million big city you'll find suburban qualities somewhere. Unlike Chicago however, not right in its core. Not in manhattan
What you proved everybody knew you just chose to play your game to further embarrass Chicago and Chicagoans. As if it was at all possible lol

Last edited by flotard; 08-20-2013 at 08:28 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 07:58 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
I've been to Seoul a couple of times. Asia and European cities will generally have much less space compared to American cities. Japan was pretty bad but when it comes to NYC the very narrow walkways and roads are less evident. You're typical neighborhood in Seoul may have this. I've seen streets even narrower than this. http://goo.gl/maps/sQ9hb or this http://goo.gl/maps/YaA5j
Why are narrow streets bad? Walking along a wide, highway-width street can be annoying.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:09 PM

Default NYC vs. Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Who? I think everyone, especially here, is aware of that.
Everybody has been aware of that, New York has bay side, shore road, Forrest hills and plenty neighborhoods with suburban qualities IN THE OUTER BOROS.
The point we were making however was that one can find them right in Chicago's 200K CORE while one won't find them in NYC core, even though manhattan is inhabited by more than million people than Chicago's downtown i.e. is few times bigger.

Last edited by flotard; 08-20-2013 at 08:29 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 11:04 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
That's all. Very simple but arguing with Chicagoans is like trying to explain relativity theory to a horse. Can't succeed.
I think we get your dislike for Chicago..... You don't really have to generalize about some Chicagoans like they're some sort of ethnic group that are inferior to other people. It's a little over the top, don't you think?

I think we all understand the point you're trying to make... Chicago is not urban because it has suburban characteristics in its urban core....... Nobody seems to be disagreeing with you so it seems you are flipping out over nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City