Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 09:44 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ No offense, but you cannot define personal beauty. Just like how some people find person A attractive while others may not, some people find NYC's skyline more beautiful and some find Chicago's more beautiful. Trying to quantify it is ****ing pointless other than who has more buildings of X and Y. It's like trying to argue with someone over whether Blondes or Brunettes are hotter. It's all opinion.
Beautifully well put

Old 08-30-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
if we are going to get into house....I was present at the birth....a glorious outpouring of true eternal rhythym....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfH_xF63lSU
Good tracks. I use to have Fast Eddie. I remember those Acid House days played in the clubs.

This was my very first house album I owned in 1987. This song was played in clubs around the country. Steve "Silk" Hurley is legendary

Old 08-30-2013, 10:45 PM

669 posts, read 914,924 times
Quote:
^ No offense, but you cannot define personal beauty. Just like how some people find person A attractive while others may not, some people find NYC's skyline more beautiful and some find Chicago's more beautiful. Trying to quantify it is ****ing pointless other than who has more buildings of X and Y. It's like trying to argue with someone over whether Blondes or Brunettes are hotter. It's all opinion.
Which is exactly what I said so your kind of just repeating what I posted there.

But a point still stands through. There are certain Blondes which most people will consider hotter than certain Brunettes. Saying some people say this is better and some say that better so it doesn't matter who won logic is totally denying credit to the winner of the thing. Not to say that it makes it fact that NYC is more beautiful because more people pick it but more people do think it is so and frankly that part is fact. And let's be honest with ourselves here, all those comments certain people make about certain things about Chicago being better like the waterfront is also an opinion. Majority of the things discussed here are subjective and a matter of opinion, but that doesn't mean they don't mean anything. Otherwise we are saying that majority of the discussions we have here are pointless.

Last edited by yyuusr; 08-30-2013 at 10:56 PM..

Old 08-31-2013, 07:23 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
^ I think you're making this more complicated than it needs to be, and I agree that most things on here are complete OPINION. Waterfront, better nightlife, etc etc? It's all opinion at the end of the day. I may think Miami sucks for nightlife because..maybe I don't like clubs or something. It doesn't mean Miami sucks, and it doesn't mean Miami is good. It just means that's my opinion, even if 200 people share it with me, it doesn't make it fact. It means the opinion is more popular with people. There is a big difference between provable fact and a popular opinion.

You are also using City Data as your basis for "proof." No offense to people on here, but this is hardly an accurate sample that you could use in a legitimate scientific study even for popular opinion. I just wanted to point that out. Even if you had 1000 votes on a poll, a legitimate sample in a study has more depth to it than just amount of people. People take what they read on C-D way too seriously and apply it to the rest of society. Sometimes yes, it does line up with popular opinion, but really I don't care one way or another which opinion reigns supreme, but I can't believe how many times on here I've seen "Well, on City Data, I've seen ____, so that means for the rest of society it must be true."

I really don't care how many people think NYC has a better skyline, or Chicago has a better skyline. It's pointless. What I care about is people using science and math the complete wrong way.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:08 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
Which is exactly what I said so your kind of just repeating what I posted there.

But a point still stands through. There are certain Blondes which most people will consider hotter than certain Brunettes. Saying some people say this is better and some say that better so it doesn't matter who won logic is totally denying credit to the winner of the thing. Not to say that it makes it fact that NYC is more beautiful because more people pick it but more people do think it is so and frankly that part is fact. And let's be honest with ourselves here, all those comments certain people make about certain things about Chicago being better like the waterfront is also an opinion. Majority of the things discussed here are subjective and a matter of opinion, but that doesn't mean they don't mean anything. Otherwise we are saying that majority of the discussions we have here are pointless.
Not really. Chicago has their best parks, bike paths, museums, harbors, top universities and beaches all next to it's Downtown and core neighborhoods. Manhattan doesn't have a developed waterfront on that level. It's the same way I would say NYC has far more highrises, far more subway stops, and far more multiunit housing, those are facts.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
^ I think you're making this more complicated than it needs to be, and I agree that most things on here are complete OPINION. Waterfront, better nightlife, etc etc? It's all opinion at the end of the day. I may think Miami sucks for nightlife because..maybe I don't like clubs or something. It doesn't mean Miami sucks, and it doesn't mean Miami is good. It just means that's my opinion, even if 200 people share it with me, it doesn't make it fact. It means the opinion is more popular with people. There is a big difference between provable fact and a popular opinion.

You are also using City Data as your basis for "proof." No offense to people on here, but this is hardly an accurate sample that you could use in a legitimate scientific study even for popular opinion. I just wanted to point that out. Even if you had 1000 votes on a poll, a legitimate sample in a study has more depth to it than just amount of people. People take what they read on C-D way too seriously and apply it to the rest of society. Sometimes yes, it does line up with popular opinion, but really I don't care one way or another which opinion reigns supreme, but I can't believe how many times on here I've seen "Well, on City Data, I've seen ____, so that means for the rest of society it must be true."

I really don't care how many people think NYC has a better skyline, or Chicago has a better skyline. It's pointless. What I care about is people using science and math the complete wrong way.
Yes, it's a matter of distinguishing actual facts from opinions. Now you may think Miami's night life sucks but I won't lose sleep over it because that's just your opinion.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Not really. Chicago has their best parks, bike paths, museums, harbors, top universities and beaches all next to it's Downtown and core neighborhoods. Manhattan doesn't have a developed waterfront on that level. It's the same way I would say NYC has far more highrises, far more subway stops, and far more multiunit housing, those are facts.

Another example would be that Chicago's Navy Pier is bigger than New York's Pier 17 which is fact. Now which one is better is subjective. However, NYC is older and larger which is fact.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:53 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Yes, it's a matter of distinguishing actual facts from opinions. Now you may think Miami's night life sucks but I won't lose sleep over it because that's just your opinion.
Yep, and the Miami thing was not my opinion for the record, haha..

Old 08-31-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Yep, and the Miami thing was not my opinion for the record, haha..

Old 08-31-2013, 10:01 AM

669 posts, read 914,924 times
Quote:

Again you just keep on repeating the exact same thing I said in different words so really your not adding anything here. Read over my post again. I said it doesn't make it fact. And nobody is using science in anything here.

But popular opinion does matter. It says that that's how majority of people feel. And it's not just in city-data forum that people feel that way since it feels like your trying to dismiss the whole thing by saying that.

New York City vs. Chicago Skyline - SkyscraperCity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City