Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 01:13 PM

555 posts, read 588,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Again projection....fascinating. What happened to you in Chicago that so poisoned your heart to the place?

Fascinating your tenacious hatred of my hometown.
I visited and that was enough. Now people like you make sure that others can experience an interaction with a real Chicagoan without even visiting the city. Great job!

Old 09-06-2013, 01:15 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,880,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullocity View Post
I don't think he is complaining about you or people who are objective and at least respectful in their posts. But there are trolls here lately, that everytime a Chicago thread pops up they appear and they start to bash and only say negative things about the city. And lately there has been a lot. So a little Chicago forumers are little irritable lately.

A good strategy is to just ignore the trolls. They are lonely people looking for attention, and ignoring them drives them even crazier than making them look stupid in a debate.
Oh I know it's not about me. I know exactly who it's about. Even so, I think some of the things said ARE true but instantly overlooked or attacked by homers.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:17 PM

1,613 posts, read 2,404,107 times
Quote:
The numbers do not reflect the scale of internationl tourism to Chicago in any way. Because it is located in the center of the contininent, no city would be as undercounted in such measures as much as Chicago.
Except that you have it reversed. Chicago is actually overcounted in terms of international airport counts, which makes sense, as Chicago is a gigantic transfer hub, even moreso than a destination.

Chicago actually has a high number of international visitors to Chicago O'Hare, but a low number of international visitors overall. And it's very close to SF. Really only NYC, Miami and LA easily top Chicago in terms of international visitors through airport.

But if you look at international tourist numbers to the city, Chicago isn't in the Top 10.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:23 PM

2,433 posts, read 3,309,727 times
Splicing numbers....the other four airports you mentions are on the coasts, people that may be transiting. Which is of course true for Chicago as well. It's impossible to tell where these tourists are going. Someone flies into Boston to visit a family member, then flies onto Chicago....how are they counted?

My point is that such statistics any way you splice them are questionable. Chicago is experiencing a boom in tourism, in hotel construction, etc.... that's the point.

Have you JerseyGirl visited Chicago recently?

Old 09-06-2013, 01:24 PM

555 posts, read 588,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Some of the things said are exaggeration and I cringe, but some of them are also very true. Whether true or not, you cannot seem to handle it. This whole cycle gets old.

In the eyes so many people, overall, Chicago cannot compete with NYC. It's just reality. As has been said, Chicago is a great city, I myself love it, but NYC does destroy so much other competition including Chicago in many categories. It doesn't mean we all hate Chicago, and we're out to destroy its image, it's just truth based on attractions and tourism and more.

What really annoys me about Chicagoans are the lies. I mean nobody says come to New York, apartments are cheap, parking space abundant and so forth. Chicagoans on the other hand will simply lie about the lake, about availability of weekend getaways, numbers of theaters in Chicago, foot traffic in downtown in the night... Anything just to boost Chicago's image as a great destination and a viable contender. Have you been to Chicago? Visit and you will see what I am talking about. I am not exaggerating. Just visit and stay for a few days so you'll have time to venture outside of downtown and Chicago proper. You'll see what I saw.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:26 PM

151 posts, read 161,615 times
Quote:
Splicing numbers....the other four airports you mentions are on the coasts, people that may be transiting. Which is of course true for Chicago as well. It's impossible to tell where these tourists are going. Someone flies into Boston to visit a family member, then flies onto Chicago....how are they counted?

My point is that such statistics any way you splice them are questionable. Chicago is experiencing a boom in tourism, in hotel construction, etc.... that's the point.

Tourism actually really is booming here. I mean the number of hotels that have been built in the past few years is remarkable.

Quote:
Except we do know exactly where these tourists are going.

We have international visitor counts to cities, and Chicago isn't in the Top 10, even though it's a huge international air destination (Top 5).

12,883 posts, read 13,880,863 times
Quote:

About 8 years ago now I think it must have been. I remember, it was when they first put that giant metal mirrored bean shaped thing in Millennium Park and also added a little water fountain area kids could play in. We drove. I'll never do THAT again, I would fly next time. But it was a good experience to do once.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:28 PM

151 posts, read 161,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
About 8 years ago now I think it must have been. We drove. I'll never do THAT again, I would fly next time. But it was a good experience to do once.
I suggest next time you come, also visit Michigan the west coast of it that is.

You should definitely visit again soon. Speaking of which I haven't been to NYC in about 8 years I am due for a visit (or who know a move, just applied for a job there).

Old 09-06-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullocity View Post
Tourism actually really is booming here. I mean the number of hotels that have been built in the past few years is remarkable.
I can't speak to "booming" or whether the hotel construction is "remarkable", but Chicago isn't among the leaders in hotel construction in the U.S.

NYC is, by far, #1, and Orlando is #2. I would be very surprised if Chicago were in the Top 10 in terms of new hotel rooms.

It has relatively low occupancy rates and room rates, and the convention business (extremely important in Chicago) has fallen behind Vegas and Orlando (Chicago used to be the #1 convention destination and now distant #3).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.