Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:41 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times

Advertisements

New York's skyline is amazing and can't be compared to. NY has more skyscrapers in a 40 block area of Mid-Town Manhattan than all of Chicago. That's impressive! As for neighborhoods, NYC has more recognizable hoods: Greenwich Village, Hells Kitchen, SOHO, Tribeca, Time Square, Harlem.....

Old 07-23-2008, 09:21 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Funny when I saw these two pics I thought of a few Chicago ones I have that look strangely familiar to the New York pics. Obviously New York is larger, but the general aspects are kinda funny how they're similar.

from flickr, by Premshree Pillai

New York City at night from a Tribeca Penthouse on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 07-23-2008, 09:40 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,497,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
The OP clearly stated that he was only referring to skylines. This is not a "which city is better thread." So points 3-8 are totally irrelevant to the discussion.

Architecturally wise I don't think many would list NYC as the winner in that category. NYC is known for its massive skyline. It's skyline is awe inspiring because of its sheer size and density. Aesthetically Chicago IMO has a much more appealling and dynamic skyline. Its also the birthplace of the skyscraper and home to the country's tallest building.

Both are great skylines.
I'm not taking anything away from Chicago because I love it, but how can you dog New York architecture? The Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, Brooklyn Bridge (amazing how they built that massive bridge way back then), Flatiron Building, Statue of Liberty, Guggenheim, Woolworth Building, the gothic General Electric Building (570 Lexington at 51st), funky Westin Hotel, New Yorker Hotel, Time Warner Center, Barclay-Vesey Building, Ellis Island, Manhattan Bridge, One Wall Street, American Standard Radiator Building, and of course the brownstones and colonial rowhomes throughout the city.

Potential new skyscrapers include 80 South Street, MoMa extension, Greenwich Village Trump Tower, a couple around the ESB and some along the West Side Highway.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:05 AM

55 posts, read 79,687 times
[quote=Chicago60614;4569398]Funny when I saw these two pics I thought of a few Chicago ones I have that look strangely familiar to the New York pics. Obviously New York is larger, but the general aspects are kinda funny how they're similar.

kinda Funny how no one cares because everybody nose NYC is better but you are just in denial

Old 07-23-2008, 11:01 AM

187 posts, read 524,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Thanks for reviving a thread that had rightly buried for almost a year so we can resume beating a topic to death that has already been beaten to death a thousand times here.

Yeah right! People let it go, already!

Old 07-23-2008, 12:27 PM

595 posts, read 2,742,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
kinda Funny how no one cares because everybody nose NYC is better but you are just in denial
Kinda funny how you don't know how to spell "know" and that you have the guts to say such a thing to someone who wasn't event dissing either city.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:24 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBoy1212 View Post
The chicago spire sticks out of the skyline as if it doesnt even belong there. In NY they build buildings that goes with the rest of the skyline.
The four tallest buildings in that picture are all proposed ones. They stick out. Also, the one second from the left looks like four Smurfit Stone Buildings put together.

The rest look fine but putting them all right by each other isn't the best move. It's four "futuristic" buildings (for lack of a better term) surrounded by much older ones.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:28 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
The four tallest buildings in that picture are all proposed ones. They stick out. Also, the one second from the left looks like four Smurfit Stone Buildings put together.

The rest look fine but putting them all right by each other isn't the best move. It's four "futuristic" buildings (for lack of a better term) surrounded by much older ones.
That is false - Tower's 1, 3, and 4 are all under construction. Tower 2 is Approved - although it could be under construction by now. Stop being so bitter - they are two GREAT cities with to GREAT skylines, don't hate

And I agree with you Chicago60614! They look VERY similar

Old 07-23-2008, 02:29 PM

595 posts, read 2,742,438 times
Also, NYCBoy, the Sears Tower, along with the Hancock and Aon Center, also stuck out when they were being built. But now, they seem to blend in with the skyline.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:52 PM

98 posts, read 113,630 times
OK,

Argue all you want, but the fact remains that NYC (city, skyline, etc. etc.) is and will always be #1. No if's ands or buts about it.

That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City