Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2008, 12:45 PM

479 posts, read 1,442,650 times

Advertisements

New York City is the most amazing place in the WOLRD! Chicago is just a nice big city in the USA.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:02 PM

187 posts, read 524,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
New York City is the most amazing place in the WOLRD! Chicago is just a nice big city in the USA.

You don't get out much, do you? Try Toyko, London, Paris, just to name a few. Yes, NYC is in the top 5 but, "most amazing" is debatable.

At any rate, most of this post in the thread are off topic(including mine). The question was regarding the two skylines.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:05 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
Tokyo i think is on par with NY. London very close. Rio...very far

Old 12-03-2008, 04:55 PM

327 posts, read 1,050,520 times
uhhhh soo nyc wins this one right??

Old 12-03-2008, 07:56 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,852,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifeeldope View Post
uhhhh soo nyc wins this one right??
yes

Old 12-03-2008, 08:04 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Tokyo i think is on par with NY. London very close. Rio...very far

i agree

Old 12-03-2008, 08:49 PM

990 posts, read 3,185,903 times
If I haven't already, I have to disagree with all you (don't kill me, okay) but really this thread is about skylines, and if it is a NYC v. CHI skyline thread then CHI should win. I just think some people are oblivious to Chicago's skyline, or they just think NYC because it is a bigger city, that you are told about since the time you are born. Really we go through this all the time so I won't elaborate anymore because there is to many threads like this already. But in the end I think CHI has a better skyline plain and simple.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:04 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,632,486 times
Both cities have great skylines, though I think NYC wil edge out Chicago for a number of reasons.

NYC's is more famous than Chicago's. Not to belittle Chicago, but all most everyone around the world, knows how the NY skyline looks like, from books, to movies, even cartoons, you will almost always see a city setting with a NYC look alike.

Size. They're both large, but NYC is massive. Manhattan is an island about 12 miles long, and only 2-1/2 miles at it's widest point, and thousands, upon thousands are bunched up into an area mostly south of 59th St. This gives people a "wow" factor when viewed from Jersey or the Outer Boroughs. Also, it's impressive size means that it can be seen for many, miles in all directions.

Lastly, NYC had a "race" for the tallest building in the world back in the early 1900s. Many buildings like the Chrysler, Woolworth, Trump Building, were the tallest in the world at one point. Even the ESB, was the tallest for over 40 years-untill it was beating by the North Tower of the WTC.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:08 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
i think NYC & Chicago represent 2 of the top 10 of THE greatest in the world.

but like we've discussed before....is Dubai, Shenzen, Wuhan, etc...more fun than NYC??

Old 12-03-2008, 09:10 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
It's true-- New York City is an AMAZIGN town. But I'm not sure I'd even say Chicago is nice-- nor for that matter big. It's rather middling in both respects. "OK" or somesuch. Big? nah. Just another town down west of the Hudson with a huge hump of inferiority complex.

Chicago, that ol' hog butcher to the East Coast, is just learning about commodities and futures (pigs feet, rinds, tails and squeals). An Exhange with a statue of a woman holding a bolt of wheat. It's digging rivers that go backward to accommodate NY freighters down the Erie Canal. It's got byplanes flying into Orchard Field and a Home Insurance Building with that crazy, newfangled steel skeleton. Crazy mirror beans and crappy modern impressionism. A civic orchestra with kazoos and a conductor who is Mute. And an Opera house with wood floors and the audacity to appear as a throne!

A river runs through the center of a city that does.not.work. To prove it, on occasion, the inhabitants will flood their fine city! That's why they raised the entire city 10 feet above the steaming, muddy, smelly swamp! A stinkin' onion it is.

Second City? Maybe to Valparaiso or Galena.

before anyone jumps, all in fun-- mainly at Chicago's expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City