Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2008, 12:44 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalnet View Post
What's wrong? You can't take the truth more than an hour or so? If so, then there should be an age limit on posts. Posts are not valid no longer than an hour. Then you won't feel bad no longer than an hour.
In English please. Thanks.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:39 AM

668 posts, read 2,357,435 times
I'll say it again, Chicago is a better place to live n NYC is a better place to visit.

How the hell can u enjoy "one of the greatest cities in the world" when ninety percent of ur paycheck goes towards a studio that is the size of a Chicagoan's closet? I mean unless u got a real steady job, NYC, especially Manhattan, is virtually unihabbitable.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:20 AM

367 posts, read 1,285,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
I'll say it again, Chicago is a better place to live n NYC is a better place to visit.

How the hell can u enjoy "one of the greatest cities in the world" when ninety percent of ur paycheck goes towards a studio that is the size of a Chicagoan's closet? I mean unless u got a real steady job, NYC, especially Manhattan, is virtually unihabbitable.
Now this I agree with.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:29 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
Quote:

Platinum real-estate. Believe it or not, a lot of people would rather jammed themselves into a tiny island, than live almost any where else.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:48 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Platinum real-estate. Believe it or not, a lot of people would rather jammed themselves into a tiny island, than live almost any where else.
Their loss.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:05 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
I don't find NYC to be a good place to visit. Having lived there for several years, in both Manhattan and the Bronx, I have to say that that area of the planet has never appealed to me.

The land there is sick and diseased; you feel it when you walk around town. I don't miss the crush of people living beyond the capacity for which the city was initially designed, nor do I miss the concession I had to make to live in that type of environment.

And really, these NYC sycophants would be very surprised to learn how ordinary and boring Manhattan really is when you have to live there. Every day. Each and every day. Oooh look, a cocktail bar! Big deal. I HEARD AN INDEPENDENT BAND PLAY! Like I ****ing care, I hear those in every city.

It's a very grungy and very dirty environment. It's not the bastion of enlightened, super-educated liberal Gumdrops-Grow-On-Trees And We All Wear Prada To Everything place every Hollywood production would have you believe.

Is it interesting? Absolutely. It's also absolutely standardized and systemized. That's the part of NYC no one ever advertises: how automated life is there. Everything is an assembly line or a queue of some sort. It's nearly impossible to get around, and in all honesty, few people who live there (in a metro area of how many millions?) actually explore the city... Because like everywhere else in the United States, what you find in your neighborhood is exactly what you're going to find in mine.

What NYC does have, exclusively above every other area in this country, is that acceptance and apathy granted only by the extreme population crush of often radically difference philosophies/religions/lifestyles. It also has extreme parochialism in an area that doesn't deserve it. It manifests as cringing displays of public ignorance in The New Yorker, when editorial staff try to dimly understand other areas of the nation.

Is Chicago better? I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I certainly wouldn't ever choose to live in NYC again. To that end, I would choose to live in Chicago, which is a city with all of its own flaws and disasters. And there are many, just like NYC.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:14 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:

Not necessarily. I got an amazing deal on a one bedroom for $750 because I did lots of research in finding a good, cheap apartment. Most rents in my area go for at least $1000 for a small studio. I make about $2600 net a month and still manage to save about $1300 a month.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:11 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,015 times
Chicago hands down. The NYC skyline looks like it was made from legos. There is no real style in New York, sure you have a bunch of tall buildings in Manhattan; its the most populated city in the U.S. and its on an island. That doesn't translate to having the best skyline. A good skyline is defined by architectural creativity, diversity, and balance. Chicago easily wins two of those three. Also, the ample parks and green space complimented by Chicago's lakefront make the skyline 100 times more appealing. NYC is an older and more populated city, but Chicago is the birth of the skyscraper, and rightfully so. Also, NYC wasn't completely burnt to the ground 130 years ago. Allow me to reiterate: Just because NY has more buildings, doesn't give it a better skyline. That would be like saying that a certain man's car is more impressive because it has a higher horsepower than another man's. Quality >>>>>>Quantity.

New Yorkers (for the most part) are high on themselves so theres no point in me trying to convey some sort of logic, I would just confuse the majority.

"NYC is beter, itz ovius!!! LOL!!!" Gimme a break...

You can all flame me now.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:08 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,020,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Chicago hands down. The NYC skyline looks like it was made from legos. There is no real style in New York, sure you have a bunch of tall buildings in Manhattan; its the most populated city in the U.S. and its on an island. That doesn't translate to having the best skyline. A good skyline is defined by architectural creativity, diversity, and balance. Chicago easily wins two of those three. Also, the ample parks and green space complimented by Chicago's lakefront make the skyline 100 times more appealing. NYC is an older and more populated city, but Chicago is the birth of the skyscraper, and rightfully so. Also, NYC wasn't completely burnt to the ground 130 years ago. Allow me to reiterate: Just because NY has more buildings, doesn't give it a better skyline. That would be like saying that a certain man's car is more impressive because it has a higher horsepower than another man's. Quality >>>>>>Quantity.

New Yorkers (for the most part) are high on themselves so theres no point in me trying to convey some sort of logic, I would just confuse the majority.

"NYC is beter, itz ovius!!! LOL!!!" Gimme a break...

You can all flame me now.
How ignorant? Yes NYC had 2 great fires. Do your research. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_F...New_York_(1776)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_F...New_York_(1835)
Also what are you talking about. NYC has better and a much more variety of architecture. Just by one building it beats chicago. NYC has both Quality and Quantity or maybe your just too . We are not high on ourselves. More people around the world vote for NYC than chigao. We only follow on their word and our knowledge. Just because chicago is the birthplace of the skyscraper doesn point out that its better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archite..._New_York_City

Old 02-27-2009, 02:32 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
So a troll is defined as someone who doesn't share your opinion?

And I'm the ignorant one...

I say Chicago, you can say NYC, I could really care less about your opinion.

Well, to conclude that 8 million people in NY are high on themselves is pretty ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City