Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 03:43 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
This seems like an odd statement, of course it matters, quite a few of us have lived abroad or can if we want to... It doesn't make sense to take an isolationist approach to cities and be like oh, not many of our cities are urban, but that's okay b/c we are the U.S. yahooo... That's like Guatemala saying most of their cities are poor and not seeking to improve it.
Different countries have different standards and unless you're used to one of those other standards of urbanity then I really don't see how you can speak from that perspective honestly. A semester abroad doesn't really change that imo. I'm not even sure what your last sentence is suppose to even mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 03:53 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Different countries have different standards and unless you're used to one of those other standards of urbanity then I really don't see how you can speak from that perspective honestly. A semester abroad doesn't really change that imo. I'm not even sure what your last sentence is suppose to even mean.
We'll just have to agree to disagree, I've been to around 30 countries so, the U.S. doesn't seem that urban overall to me. My first urban living experience even though it was short lived was in Paris. I've also lived in Africa in dense areas, even though they were crapholes and dangerous, they were walkable. Lots of my friends are foreign ESL teachers and have done lots of teaching abroad. South Korea and Japan are really popular experiences. Often when somebody gets used to one, they want to find that lifestyle similar in the U.S., but the U.S. doesn't have many options for it. I know most americans aren't interested in urban living, but with a population over 300 mil there are many of us who are.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:53 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
A) LA and San Diego are not true cities. Sorry, they really aren't.

B) LA metro and San Diego city proper are more urban than people think. The city of Los Angeles is equally as suburban as people think (if you actually study and asses what is LA.... literally all but a few blocks of LA outside of Hollywood and Downtown are suburban, and once again LA does not mean WeHo or Beverly Hills).
I'll give you that they have bad urban design, are car-centric and maybe even aren't urban. But suburban? No way.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:50 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yea seriously, do people here seriously think everyone would enjoy living in such dense cities like New York or San Francisco?
But...at least San Francisco has cleaner air and more natural beauty than NYC.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
But...at least San Francisco has cleaner air and more natural beauty than NYC.
but what's enough for someone might not be enough for another. For some NYC has enough natural beauty and SF doesn't have enough "city" ... for others it is the opposite, SF has enough city and the right amount of natural beauty. SF feels downright spacious with plenty of views beyond the city compared to being in Manhattan, mostly b/c of lower buildings there and the hills.

Last edited by grapico; 12-26-2013 at 08:52 PM..

Old 12-26-2013, 08:46 PM

What natural beauty does NYC have? An ocean view, fine. Central Park? Please.

San Francisco is the densest city in the USA after NYC. I can't imagine someone thinking it isn't enough city for them. Plus, the entire Bay Area offers other cities, like Oakland and nearby San Jose.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:

San Francisco is the densest city in the USA after NYC. I can't imagine someone thinking it isn't enough city for them. Plus, the entire Bay Area offers other cities, like Oakland and nearby San Jose.
There is quite a bit of nature outside the city. The palisades are directly across from the city... as from the pic you can obviously see the natural landscape...this is from top of Empire State Building. NYC isn't Dallas or something.

skyscrapersunet.com

ny.gov

travelingbastards
(shot from Cloisters in Manhattan)
For your second point.
Saying SF is the 2nd densest city after NYC is like saying Sacramento is the 2nd biggest metro in Northern California. Who cares, they aren't similar at all.

For your third point...
While SF and the bay area is very cool, I definitely felt it was kind of small (the city and urban part). I've heard similar from many other people, this is no revelation. Honestly Bay Area is great for what the whole metro offers and a fantastic location (redwoods, low mountains, great ocean views, wine country) but SF itself isn't that wild big or crazy in the grand scheme of things.

And finally...
San Jose is a trek and a half... not really convenient and not sure why anybody would want to go there, it's the most boring part of the entire Bay Area. If I was going down that way I'd keep going and go to Santa Cruz or take a right turn and go to Half Moon Bay.

Last edited by grapico; 12-26-2013 at 09:17 PM..

Old 12-26-2013, 09:34 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:

I think NYC is beautiful. Just because YOU don't doesn't mean it's not.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:15 PM

It is pretty...but not naturally. Like the pictures said, the natural beauty is OUTSIDE the city.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:31 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
It is pretty...but not naturally. Like the pictures said, the natural beauty is OUTSIDE the city.
I disagree. Sure, NJ is beautiful and so is Long Island, upstate suburbs and CT suburbs, but I think NYC is beautiful, too, both naturally and architecturally. There's more to NYC than Manhattan, which people frequently forget. Staten Island has some of the most beautiful neighborhoods I've seen in NYC. Check out Grymes Hill and Todt Hill, the homes along with the views they provide. I also think few things are more beautiful than tree-lined Brownstone neighborhoods like these:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City