Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 12:08 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times

Advertisements

While Vancouver beats Jacksonville in most every category, Jacksonville's access to great beaches, much better weather and absence of the stupid metric system make it an easy winner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 12:33 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
While Vancouver beats Jacksonville in most every category, Jacksonville's access to great beaches, much better weather and absence of the stupid metric system make it an easy winner.
What is so stupid about the metric system? I use it sometimes. Only the USA and Bahrain don't use it.

I'm still picking Vancouver over Jacksonville. Personally, I might fit in better Vancouver. I can use metric units. I like the Pacific Ocean. I love the snowcapped mountains. I here the East Asian cuisine in Vancouver is very nice. I don't like hot, humid summers, so Jacksonville wouldn't work for me. I am a displaced Seattle Mariners fan living in the Atlanta area(I don't root for the Braves, just don't, no apologies for it), so it's Vancouver over Jacksonville. Vancouver just got a new Major League Soccer team, FC Vancouver, although I'm a fan of FC Seattle. Palm trees are okay, but I can have those in California minus the humidity.

Last edited by green_mariner; 05-09-2011 at 12:46 PM..

Old 05-09-2011, 02:38 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,914 times
Is this a joke? You are comparing a vibrant, cosmopolitan city like Vancouver to Jacksonville? Sorry but Jacksonville is nothing but a sprawling suburban city with a tiny downtown. Outside of the beach it pales in comparison in just about every category mentioned.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:44 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Vancouver is awesome, but this comparison is just bizzarre. Add to that the pre-requisite that Vancouver already wins with the fluff marketing pics of Vancouver, but not a single picture of Jacksonville. If this was Vancouver vs. Miami then you would actually have something here (actually they do have a few things in common, like a downtown full of residential glass condo towers).

Anyway, Vancouver kicks the crap out of Jacksonville in just about every single urban category, but for a day at the beach, lets get real here, Jacksonville owns that one. Vancouver is a nice city by the water, and a warm day in August there is ideal, but it certainly doesn't contend in the beach category with Florida by any stretch of the imagination.

Amelia Island is in the vicinity of Jacksonville. Apparently it's nice enough for Ritz-Carlton to develop a resort there.
Amelia Island Luxury Hotel: The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island Luxury Resort

I'll take that over English Bay or Wreck Beach, say from September-June.

Yes

Old 05-09-2011, 03:34 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
I agree. Jacksonville is far from my #1 but I'd easily take it over Vancouver.

Is being ultra Urban a really positive? To me it's just a characteristic, it doesn't mean it's better and get's an instant win with me. City-Data seems to get too caught up in that "Urban = Better in everyone's eyes" thing.

Vancouver looks like a very very nice place, I'd love to visit but Jacksonville is much closer to what I personally like.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:37 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
Why would you compare Vancouver and Jacksonville? This site is full of city-boosting morons.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:49 PM

84 posts, read 90,434 times
Quote:
Yeah, cuz Jacksonville's system is so much better than the metric system, right?

What a stupid comment.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:50 PM

84 posts, read 90,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Why would you compare Vancouver and Jacksonville? This site is full of city-boosting morons.
It's called city vs. city. That's what this forum is for, comparing cities. You're right about one thing though, there are a lot of morons here.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:05 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Jacksonville, Oregon is much smaller, but I still prefer it to Vancouver, Washington...

Old 05-09-2011, 05:08 PM

312 posts, read 436,686 times
Vancouver is awesome but I love the weather for Jacksonville and the somewhat beach culture and palm trees are awesome. Hot and humid, palms trees, nice and sunny, and awesome sand beaches. This is why I love all of coastal Florida.

Vancouver is way more urban and has more things to do, and especially for its size. It's a true urban city, with an anti-sprawl outlook for North America. It's an extremely impressive city and I've always loved visiting it but its no Seattle. Jacksonville is a brand new jump start city, it doesn't get talked about enough here but its metro is actually one of the fastest growing in the country and second fastest in Florida after Orlando. 19.8% for the last decade, and its quite a bit healthier economically than most of Florida so it a good benefit. The amenities will come to Jacksonville when it gets larger, size does mean attraction and it'll eventually follow suit there. http://www.newgeography.com/content/...ica-transition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City