U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 05:49 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,173,181 times

Advertisements

In terms of the overall culture, demography, 'southernness', political situation, landscape etc. To me it seems more like Phoenix, but is there any southern culture at all? How Hispanic is the city compared to say San Antonio? Is it as 'Texan' as say Midland, or more like Arizona in Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 06:05 PM

9,394 posts, read 18,234,823 times
El Paso is much more Southwestern and probably culturally closer to Phoenix than Dallas. It's wide open desert on the periphery and the only mountains that you'll find in Texas (quite a sharp contrast to the prairies surrounding Dallas-Fort Worth). El Paso honestly seems worlds away from Houston, Dallas, Austin, or Fort Worth but oddly enough it still feels like a Texas city. I noticed this at the airport with the friendliness of the staff (Texas seems to have a high standard of customer service, it shows), and those unmistakable Texas freeways. Yes they have those big freeways with snaking spaghetti like flyover ramps out in El Paso too. There is a Texas cowboy element in El Paso, and plenty of good steakhouses. I would say El Paso has more Hispanic influence tha San Antonio, but yeah SA is likely the closest comparison to another Texas city to El Paso, but more comparable to Phoenix as they are both desert cities. I think topography makes a big defference here. As far as El Paso having any quintesential Southern culture, not really. El Paso is genuinely a Southwestern city. My .02 anyway.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 05-09-2011 at 06:16 PM..

Old 05-09-2011, 06:34 PM
JJG

13,234 posts, read 19,119,800 times
Definately more like Phoenix.... a smaller, more Texan version of Phoenix.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:22 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,333,646 times
I tend to find El Paso like none of these. I've been to all cities and I don't find any similarities with any of them. If anything, El Paso has more New Mexico and Mexican influence. I find hispanics to be more culturally open minded or educated than hispanics in San Antonio. I have family in both El Paso and San Antonio as well. I also tend to find El Paso a much more hip town than it is given credit for. There are plenty of artists, and musicians from there (the mars volta's cedric and omar were raised there). El Paso also has a decent fashion scene. I'm not sure that El Paso can be categorized with any of these two cities. It also is the other most democratic city in Texas along with Austin, but that's obvious because of its huge hispanic community.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:35 PM

2,910 posts, read 3,611,496 times
Much more like Phoenix, but without the nicer parts.

I'm surprised at the love that it gets and feel like I must have missed something big even though I drove around fairly extensively. I don't think that there are many metro areas in the US that I prefer less than El Paso. And the culture that I saw was mostly Mexican-American. To me El Paso seemed like a suburb of Juarez. Most of the people that I met were from Juarez (1st or 2d generation American) but went back and forth across the border as their mothers, brothers, cousins, etc still lived in Juarez.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:46 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,563,597 times
The thing to remember about Texas is that the Hispanic population and culture across the state is not all one in the same. El Paso is the most "authentic" Mexican you'll get from any of the big cities in the state. San Antonio is the capital of Tejano/Tex-Mex country, which is completely unique to the state and is essentially a mix of Mexican and Southern traditions.

Last edited by AlGreen; 05-09-2011 at 10:54 PM..

Old 05-09-2011, 10:52 PM

317 posts, read 343,075 times
It's ridiculous to say El Paso is like a suburb of Juarez they are commercially linked cities on business for their respective countries, but I don't really care what exports outside of the state have to say about it. We all have our own opinions and its all valid, as long as we believe them. I wont deny however that El Paso is visually a very aesthetically displeasing city, compared to peers Tucson and Albuquerque its kind of the one that lacks in aesthetics but its got a lot of great qualities still and culturally its rich.

To further the question, it is most definitely more like Phoenix than it is like Dallas. Yes El Paso is structurally built like every other city in Texas by terms of road network but its actually the most built up city in Texas and is super dense when you subtract the mountains and Fort Bliss from the city limits. Fort Bliss by the way is the second largest military fort in North America by land area, larger than the state of Rhode Island and the largest military fort is right next door to it in both Dona Ana County and also in part of El Paso County.

El Paso is a member of a trio that I like to think of as "Tucson, Albuquerque, and El Paso" all similar in size, influence, in the same geographic conditions, all have variations on politics but have similar climates and are the southwests jump starts as in the "babies" to Las Vegas and Phoenix.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post
El Paso is a member of a trio that I like to think of as "Tucson, Albuquerque, and El Paso" all similar in size, influence, in the same geographic conditions, all have variations on politics but have similar climates and are the southwests jump starts as in the "babies" to Las Vegas and Phoenix.
I definitely agree with this. These three cities are a lot more comparable. Dallas and Phoenix not really as much. But I think the point has been made that El Paso is not very much Southern and definitely a Southwestern city, and very much still a Texas citiy as well. Funny thing is El Paso, Tucscon, & Albuquerque what you call the babies, are actually much older cities in their roots than Phoenix or Las Vegas, but I know what you mean though.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:05 AM

317 posts, read 343,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I definitely agree with this. These three cities are a lot more comparable. Dallas and Phoenix not really as much. But I think the point has been made that El Paso is not very much Southern and definitely a Southwestern city, and very much still a Texas citiy as well. Funny thing is El Paso, Tucscon, & Albuquerque what you call the babies, are actually much older cities in their roots than Phoenix or Las Vegas, but I know what you mean though.
Yes you caught on to my post haha. I also see your relocating to New Mexico, your in for a treat for your first winter with no snow in years.

Another similarity between the trio is Tucson's sprawl to Nogales is building up and will be connected in the next several years, El Paso to Las Cruces is bulking up and Las Cruces in the next 4 years will be added into El Paso's metro, and Albuquerque's sprawl is bridging towards Santa Fe and in a decade or about that will be a strong possibility. Tucson's metro is the largest at 980,000, Albuquerque with 846,000 and El Paso with 801,000 people. They're very similar but as you said, they're very old cities that are just now getting their shine on.

If anyone is curious of the demographics of the 3 as well as Phoenix and Dallas then here you go, its a map of demographics and density from he 2010 US Census: All sizes | Contiguous United States, Census 2010 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/5557821892/sizes/o/in/set-72157626354149574/ - broken link)

Amazing map, I've played around with it for a few days now. Very interesting.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post
Yes you caught on to my post haha. I also see your relocating to New Mexico, your in for a treat for your first winter with no snow in years.

Another similarity between the trio is Tucson's sprawl to Nogales is building up and will be connected in the next several years, El Paso to Las Cruces is bulking up and Las Cruces in the next 4 years will be added into El Paso's metro, and Albuquerque's sprawl is bridging towards Santa Fe and in a decade or about that will be a strong possibility. Tucson's metro is the largest at 980,000, Albuquerque with 846,000 and El Paso with 801,000 people. They're very similar but as you said, they're very old cities that are just now getting their shine on. The Native American roots and Spanish colonization in the area is interesting and it can be felt in these places.

If anyone is curious of the demographics of the 3 as well as Phoenix and Dallas then here you go, its a map of demographics and density from he 2010 US Census: All sizes | Contiguous United States, Census 2010 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/5557821892/sizes/o/in/set-72157626354149574/ - broken link)

Amazing map, I've played around with it for a few days now. Very interesting.

But there is so much nice farmland along the Rio Grande between Las Cruces and El Paso, I certainly hope more sprawl does not come at the expense of that valuable farmland. I think Tucson has a bit of a head start, but you're right these three cities will definitely be on the radar in the next decade. When I was in Las Cruces the locals were talking about the coldsnap over this past winter and how it dipped down to 11 below zero, farenheight! It killed off some of the palms. I liked that area a lot, those Organ and Franklin Mountains are beautiful. I love Albuquerque, that's where I'm relocating, but I'm keeping Las Cruces open as a plan B as I would enjoy either city. I'm definitely very certain on getting out of these winters and over to NM though. I can handle a few coldsnaps and balmy weather the rest of the winter, it sounds good to me.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 05-10-2011 at 01:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City